Author Topic: Amy Barrett — Immediately, If Not Sooner  (Read 810 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Amy Barrett — Immediately, If Not Sooner
« on: September 21, 2020, 01:27:32 pm »
American Spectator, Sep 19, 2020, Scott McKay

<snip>

Why Amy Barrett? Start with the political.

This appointee needs to be a woman. Yes, as conservatives we hate the idea of quotas and checklists, but it’s an election year. And since Trump didn’t go with a woman to replace Anthony Kennedy or Antonin Scalia, he has to go with one to replace Ginsburg. Besides, the fact that Republican women haven’t been represented on the Supreme Court since Sandra Day O’Connor rankles a bit; you’ve got to offer big parts of your base role models when you can.

[...]

For example, and this is important, she isn’t another Ivy League elitist judge. While the Supreme Court is loaded down with law school graduates from Harvard and Yale, Barrett is a Notre Dame graduate. That’s a big deal. The most important imbalance on the Court isn’t that it has too many men, or too many white people, or too many conservatives — it’s that it has too many people who come from a very insular, elitist perspective that does not reflect the experience of ordinary Americans.

Amy Barrett is neither East Coast nor West Coast. She grew up outside of New Orleans, attended elementary and middle school at St. Catherine of Siena Catholic School in the middle-class suburb of Metairie, St. Mary’s Dominican High School in the city, graduating in 1990, and then Rhodes College in Memphis. Barrett obtained her law degree from Notre Dame, then after a pair of clerkships for distinguished jurists Lawrence Silberman and Antonin Scalia and a couple of stints at well-respected private law firms, became a law professor at Notre Dame for several years before her nomination to the 7th Circuit in 2017.

Barrett’s confirmation to the 7th Circuit was a disaster for the Left. It included the famous gaffe by California’s Dianne Feinstein in which the latter essentially attempted to disqualify Barrett for having deeply held Catholic beliefs, as though that made her akin to a cult member. “The dogma lives loudly within you, and that’s of concern when you come to big issues that people have fought for for years in this country,” Feinstein told Barrett during the confirmation hearings, in a moment most Democrats would like to forget.

It was an excellent performance, one which put Barrett on the map as a potential Supreme Court justice, and Barrett’s demeanor and poise in handling Feinstein’s rather obnoxious assault was eye-opening in a positive way. When Sen. Dick Durbin embarrassed himself asking Barrett whether she was an “orthodox Catholic,” and when the idiot Al Franken attempted to make her out as a homophobe because she had delivered a lecture on constitutional law at a seminar put on by the Alliance Defending Freedom, on the basis of a laughable designation of ADF as a “hate group” by the far-left terrorist inspirers at the Southern Poverty Law Center, it became quite clear that Amy Barrett is not someone the Democrats can beat down in a confirmation hearing.

Read more:  https://spectator.org/amy-barrett-immediately-if-not-sooner/

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Amy Barrett — Immediately, If Not Sooner
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 01:43:19 pm »

:amen: and  :amen:

Mainly because she is NOT a graduate of one of those Ivy  League schools of law like all the others on that court.  Enough with the groupthink!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 01:47:33 pm »

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 01:48:41 pm »
POTUS said this morning he will be making his nomination either Friday or Saturday of this week ... after a service for RBG is held.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 02:39:48 pm »
POTUS said this morning he will be making his nomination either Friday or Saturday of this week ... after a service for RBG is held.
watch for a delay in that service.

Dims will come up with a reason
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 02:59:53 pm »

@IsailedawayfromFR

Maybe they will "discover" they made a mistake,and Ginsberg is still alive? After all,it WAS hard to tell just from looking at her.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:26:26 pm »

...which be itself is just more bullsh*t.

Jewish people are to be interred within 24-48 hours after death.

...unless by "service" they mean a "Wellstone Memorial" rally.   /s   *****rollingeyes*****

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 07:21:42 pm »
SCOTUS update: I'm hearing Barbara Lagoa is out of the running now. Bade is the dark horse. ACB is still in the lead.— Emerald Robinson ✝️ (@EmeraldRobinson) September 21, 2020

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 07:22:41 pm »

I doubt it will work with POTUS ... they pull this I'm guessing he announces the same day.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2020, 07:28:02 pm »
RBG has (had) a private interment ... so it's more likely the memorial service will be more of a rally.

Hmmmm.... just heard an hour ago that the public will be able to pay their respects Thursday at the Capitol... in the same room/area they recently used for John Lewis.

Are the people going to wait in line to have a procession for a large portrait of her on an easel?    :shrug:
« Last Edit: September 22, 2020, 03:02:00 am by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2020, 07:32:26 pm »
Michael Savage
@ASavageNation

what? Ginsberg's body will lie in state at the Supreme Court this week & then at the Capital! A religious Jewish person is buried within 24 hours!  Have the Dems no shame?

2:23 PM · Sep 21, 2020·Twitter Web App

https://twitter.com/ASavageNation/status/1308109640899518466

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2020, 09:25:45 pm »
Mr. Trump said a nomination will be announced Friday or Saturday.

If the democrat-communists try to "postpone" the Ginsburg service, the White House should state that it was going to "keep to its schedule" in order to bring the Court back up to full strength as soon as possible after the "First Monday in October" opening.

And then, do it.

I reckon Ms. Barrett is the best choice to be made, and I trust she will either be enroute or in person at the announcement Fri/Sat.

Mr. Trump should also publicly state that Senator McConnell has fixed a hearing/confirmation vote schedule, which will be posted shortly afterwards.

And then, STICK TO IT, regardless of what noise or "revelations" the media may try to scream at us.

One other thing:
I read that when Ms. Barrett and Mr. Trump met during the last vacancy (the seat Kavanaugh now fills), that they didn't quite hit it off as well as they could have. Perhaps it had something to do with Ms. Barrett's [reported] opposition to the death penalty.

I hope Mr. Trump may overlook that, provided she is strong in all the other areas of importance.

Press on, and get this done before the election!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 12:18:41 am »
...which be itself is just more bullsh*t.

Jewish people are to be interred within 24-48 hours after death.

...unless by "service" they mean a "Wellstone Memorial" rally.   /s   *****rollingeyes*****

@DCPatriot

That only applies to observant Jews,right?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2020, 12:20:07 am »
Hmmmm.... just heard an hour ago that the public will be able to pay their respects Thursday at the Capitol... in the same room/area they recently used for John Lewis.

Are the people going to wait in line to have a procession for a large photo?    :shrug:

@DCPatriot

Will Covid-19 be barred from appearing?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2020, 02:30:54 am »
I doubt it will work with POTUS ... they pull this I'm guessing he announces the same day.
She will be lying in state at the Supreme Court building.

Add a week to burying her.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2020, 02:50:08 am »
BREAKING: Lindsey Graham tells Hannity that they have the votes to confirm a new Justice— Jewish Deplorable 🇺🇸 (@TrumpJew) September 22, 2020

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2020, 04:31:16 am »
Frankly, if Barrett opposes the death penalty, she is not my candidate for the position.

I agree that it would be nice to have folks other than ivy league.  I have zero respect for anything ivy league.  I provided consulting services to a number of manufacturing sites that were totally FUBAR, and they were run by ivy league folks, MIT engineering with Harvard MBAs.  They were lucky they put the correct shoe on each foot every morning from my perspective.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2020, 05:38:54 am »
Frankly, if Barrett opposes the death penalty, she is not my candidate for the position.

@jafo2010

There is no such thing as "the perfect candidate". No matter who is nominated,there is going to be at least one position they hold that you don't agree with,so the key is to support one you mostly agree with.

It makes this easier to do if you keep in mind they will be just ONE Justice,which means they won't dominate any decisions.

For example,Bible Thumpers make my eyes spin around in my head,the truly devout (who are literally insane) the most because they are so dogmatic there is no "bend" in any of their decisions,and there MUST be "bend" if we are all to live with and around one another in peace.

When you consider what absolute pieces of bleep that Ginsburg was,and Roberts is,she is not going to be that bad. In fact,I think she is going to be pretty damn good,and at this point in our history,we are damn lucky she and a few others like her are available.