Author Topic: This Army-backed research could unlock ways to combat sleep deprivation  (Read 155 times)

rangerrebew

This Army-backed research could unlock ways to combat sleep deprivation
Todd South

New discoveries uncovered by Army-backed scientists may help future soldiers better combat the ever-present problem of sleep deprivation.

Researchers at the University of Rochester Medical Center in New York recently published a study that shows how a complex set of molecular and fluid dynamics that clear waste from the brain during sleep my be affected when soldiers sleep during the day, out of sync with their natural rhythms.

“This knowledge is crucial to developing future countermeasures that offset the deleterious effects of sleep deprivation and addresses future multi-domain military operation requirements for Soldiers to sustain performance over longer periods without the ability to rest,” said Dr. Frederick Gregory, program manager for the Army Research Office’s neurophysiology of cognition initiative.

And it goes way beyond the lab.

https://www.armytimes.com/news/your-army/2020/09/18/this-army-backed-research-could-unlock-ways-to-combat-sleep-deprivation/

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: This Army-backed research could unlock ways to combat sleep deprivation
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 12:33:01 pm »
Interesting. Sleep deprivation is common in oilfield jobs, 12 hour shifts (which can go over for some jobs), in a 24/7/365 industry. I have gone a week on eight hours of sleep. The effects were interesting, both on cognitive function and attitude. Two of the more notable were seeing things which were not there (shadowy movements in the edge of vision were most common) and hearing sounds which were not present. I can readily see how those could affect performance of soldiers in the field. Cognitive function suffers as well, with multiple verifications of data before it is trusted, slower processing, and potential for error increasing substantially. The ability to explain to others decreases as well as other communication efficiency, Finding ways to prevent these effects would be great, insofar as they are physiological.

I think, too, that our brains do a significant amount of problem solving while we sleep, and that that ability becomes impaired as well, at least in the sense that we can explain the solutions to others, even if we know what needs to be done.  At some point, sleep will come, if only for a couple of seconds at a time, whether standing, sitting, or prone. I think these 'micronods' are a way of processing information that the brain would normally process in a full sleep state. In the days before full data transfer fro instruments to the data files, I recall numerous occasions where I was awakened by bumping my head on the instrument rack while standing there writing down data to feed into the database.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis