Author Topic: 100 Days of Protest: A Chasm Grows Between Portland and the Rest of Oregon  (Read 300 times)

rangerrebew

100 Days of Protest: A Chasm Grows Between Portland and the Rest of Oregon

The proximity of the left and the right in Oregon has created a dynamic of fear, mistrust and anger.

By Thomas Fuller

Sept. 5, 2020

SANDY, Ore. — Trucks carrying bales of hay, horse paddocks and Christmas tree farms — drive a few miles out of Portland and the suburbs quickly give way to rural Oregon.

Barely a half-hour from the Portland streets where racial justice protesters on Saturday were marking 100 consecutive days of tempestuous, sometimes violent, demonstrations, there are plenty of communities where people dismiss the protesters as lawless hooligans.

“Portland is an island in Oregon,” said Stan Pulliam, the mayor of Sandy, a more conservative town of 10,000 people about 30 miles southeast of Portland that feeds off the economic dynamism of Oregon’s largest city but also strives to be separate from it. “We are scared to death that what’s happening in Portland will ever come out to where we live.”

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/05/us/portland-political-chasm-protests-unrest.html

Offline goatprairie

Re: 100 Days of Protest: A Chasm Grows Between Portland and the Rest of Oregon
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2020, 08:53:42 pm »
All the violence and confrontations are happening in liberal-run areas. If protesters ever come out to my neighborhood and nearby places, they better be ready for  large unwelcoming committees.
When you drive by small towns close to where I live, you'll see a lot more Trump signs than Biden signs. Maybe 5-1. Many of these people have guns and would not take kindly to people trying to destroy their neighborhoods/homes.

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2020, 09:06:33 pm »
Considering the source of the above article -- the topmost organ of the new American ComInform -- the leftists must be getting scared -- scared enough to get the word out that the street fighters should take the orders of the higher command and tone it down for a while...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2020, 09:18:11 pm »
My first cousin, lives in Ashland.

Assembly of States

can get to be "whackadoodle
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline verga

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2020, 11:19:47 am »
All the violence and confrontations are happening in liberal-run areas. If protesters ever come out to my neighborhood and nearby places, they better be ready for  large unwelcoming committees.
When you drive by small towns close to where I live, you'll see a lot more Trump signs than Biden signs. Maybe 5-1. Many of these people have guns and would not take kindly to people trying to destroy their neighborhoods/homes.
Same thing here in VA, Was driving around yesterday and in the rural areas Trump/Pence. in the urban area I saw some Trmp/Pence and jsut as many maybe a few more Joe/Ho signs
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2020, 03:36:34 pm »
“Portland is an island in Oregon,” said Stan Pulliam, the mayor of Sandy, a more conservative town of 10,000 people about 30 miles southeast of Portland that feeds off the economic dynamism of Oregon’s largest city but also strives to be separate from it. “We are scared to death that what’s happening in Portland will ever come out to where we live.”

Sandy may have people who work in and around Portland, but they, mostly, work for companies located in the metro area. IOW, they "feed off" businesses, not the government of Portland, and they produce goods or services for the companies who employ, not parasitic as the NYT insinuates.

Family friends used to live in the Gresham-Sandy area, so it's not unknown to me. Basically, Portland plus Eugene are huge "blue" whales imposing their will on a largely reddish ocean.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.