Author Topic: Rochester police put hood on Black man killed by asphyxiation  (Read 392 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Rochester police put hood on Black man killed by asphyxiation
« on: September 03, 2020, 09:41:38 pm »
Rochester police put hood on Black man killed by asphyxiation
'These officers are trained to kill, and not to deescalate,' one activist said
By Louis Casiano | Fox News

A Black man restrained by western New York police officers in March died of asphyxiation after a hood was put over his head and his face was pressed into the pavement, according to police records.

Daniel Prude was visiting family in Rochester from Chicago when his brother, Joe Prude, called police to report he was having mental health issues. Daniel Prude, who had taken his clothes off, complied with responding officers and asked him to put his hands behind his back and get on the ground as light snow continued to fall.

During the March 23 encounter, officers put a "spit hood" over Prude's head. The garment is used to protect officers from saliva. Spit hoods have been scrutinized as a factor in deaths of several prisoners in the U.S. and other countries in recent years.

While on the ground, Prude demanded the hood be removed before an officer allegedly slammed his head into the street, police reports said. Another reportedly held his head against the pavement while ordering him to "stop spitting."

One officer wrote in a report that the hood was used because Prude was spitting at officers and they were concerned about the coronavirus.

His head was held down for 2 minutes before he stopped moving. Medics performed CPR before loading him into an ambulance. A medical examiner ruled Prude's death a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint.”

He was taken off life-support March 30. The report lists excited delirium and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or PCP, as contributing factors to his death.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/police-black-asphyxiation-rochester
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Rochester police put hood on Black man killed by asphyxiation
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2020, 09:43:25 pm »
Rochester mayor suspends officers in Daniel Prude incident

The mayor of Rochester, N.Y., announced the suspension of the police officers involved in the death of a Black man who died after officers placed a hood over his head and pressed his face onto the pavement, despite objections from her legal counsel.

"I am suspending the officers in question today against council’s advice, and I urge the attorney general to complete her investigation,” Mayor Lovely Warren said during a Thursday news conference. “I understand that the union may sue the city for this, they shall feel free to do so — I have been sued before.”

Danieal Prude, 41, died from asphyxiation after a "spit hood" was placed over him while naked in the street during the March 23 encounter. He died seven days later after being taken off life support.

more
https://www.foxnews.com/us/rochester-mayor-suspension-officers-daniel-prude
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2020, 10:02:12 pm »
Deflecting to take the heat off herself.

Prosecutors to bring case against Mayor Lovely Warren before a grand jury in September
Monroe County prosecutors are scheduled to present criminal allegations of campaign finance violations against Mayor Lovely Warren to a grand jury in September.

The foundation of their case is laid bare in a 35-page report prepared by state Board of Elections investigators that concluded there was “considerable evidence” that Warren and associates of her 2017 re-election campaign and a political action committee supporting her campaign took steps to intentionally evade limits on campaign donations.
https://www.wxxinews.org/post/prosecutors-bring-case-against-mayor-lovely-warren-grand-jury-september
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #3 on: September 03, 2020, 10:09:22 pm »
Here is an ad for a "spit hood", https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/chicago-spit-hood/ . Note the description of the material, "nylon mesh". In other words, it blocks spitting - which Daniel Prude was doing - but allows the one "wearing" the hood to breathe. Breathing in the hood is almost certainly much easier than with the surgical masks many employers (e.g. mine) supply their employees for wearing while in company facilities).

So while asphyxiation apparently was the cause of death, I do not think the hood significantly limited Prude's breathing. OTOH, the phencyclidine (PCP) and its effects probably made any restraint potentially fatal.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2020, 03:43:07 am »
Here is an ad for a "spit hood", https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/chicago-spit-hood/ . Note the description of the material, "nylon mesh". In other words, it blocks spitting - which Daniel Prude was doing - but allows the one "wearing" the hood to breathe. Breathing in the hood is almost certainly much easier than with the surgical masks many employers (e.g. mine) supply their employees for wearing while in company facilities).

So while asphyxiation apparently was the cause of death, I do not think the hood significantly limited Prude's breathing. OTOH, the phencyclidine (PCP) and its effects probably made any restraint potentially fatal.
Yep,  I think you nailed it. Spit hoods are there to stop spit, and are pretty porous otherwise. Like you said, far more porous than the masks everyone seems to be insisting on.
PCP, on the other hand, commonly makes suspect restraint a challenge.
I'm trying to gin up some sympathy for another druggie fighting cops, but I'm having a little trouble here.
Especially considering Rochester is likely the next Communist target (they must be running out of good stuff to loot elsewhere)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2020, 03:51:05 am »
Yep,  I think you nailed it. Spit hoods are there to stop spit, and are pretty porous otherwise. Like you said, far more porous than the masks everyone seems to be insisting on.
PCP, on the other hand, commonly makes suspect restraint a challenge.
I'm trying to gin up some sympathy for another druggie fighting cops, but I'm having a little trouble here.
Especially considering Rochester is likely the next Communist target (they must be running out of good stuff to loot elsewhere)

Agree.  For thugs who spit at officers.  Try to infect them with AIDS or other diseases.  COVID?   WHY DO WE HAVE TO WEAR A MASK....does the same thing to us. WORSE.   This hood,  is just one layer looks like.  If he died. it was NOT from a any hood. DRUGS....OUT OF CONTROL....AGAIN.  P.S. I need to read everything again, very closely.  The man did not die from HOOD.   MORE LIES.   WHY ARE POLICE BLAMED?  I hate these stories. FICTION.

He died seven days later after being taken off life support.

He was taken off life-support March 30. The report lists excited delirium and acute intoxication by phencyclidine, or PCP, as contributing factors to his death.
« Last Edit: September 04, 2020, 03:59:10 am by LegalAmerican »

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2020, 03:56:27 am »
Agree.  For thugs who spit at officers.  Try to infect them with AIDS or other diseases.  COVID?   WHY DO WE HAVE TO WEAR A MASK....does the same thing to us. WORSE.   This hood,  is just one layer looks like.  If he died. it was NOT from a any hood. DRUGS....OUT OF CONTROL....AGAIN.  IS HE NAKED ?  Does not look like a black man.
THe "Chicago Spit Hood" advertised at https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/chicago-spit-hood-pack-of-100/
Go to the site and mouse over the image, and you can see it is plenty porous to breathe through.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2020, 04:02:07 am »
THe "Chicago Spit Hood" advertised at https://www.handcuffwarehouse.com/chicago-spit-hood-pack-of-100/
Go to the site and mouse over the image, and you can see it is plenty porous to breathe through.

YES.  His brother called police because of his crazy behavior and said Daniel had mental illness.