Author Topic: Q: Registering a domain name  (Read 909 times)

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Q: Registering a domain name
« on: August 29, 2020, 10:30:04 pm »
I'd like to register a domain name.

I was wondering about the best way to do it?

I've seen godaddy (where you pay) and wix.com (which is free).

Are there other sites I should look into?

Any other words of wisdom?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Q: Registering a domain name
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 10:35:55 pm »
No words of wisdom, just I've used Dotearth.com for quite a few years now.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 10:44:00 pm »
I'd like to register a domain name.

I was wondering about the best way to do it?

I've seen godaddy (where you pay) and wix.com (which is free).

Are there other sites I should look into?

Any other words of wisdom?

I've used godaddy several times never any problems..sometimes they have a sale going on for maybe the first year...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 11:39:47 pm »
I have used a few sites, GoDaddy is good, but you are supporting liberals doing so. There are sites that rank how good they are... You can buy a domain cheap at some places and host it cheap at others. If you don't expect a lot of traffic, you can go cheap with bandwidth providers. I used my website basically to just host songs I shared with others.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2020, 03:57:18 am »
I have been at Dreamhost forever. 200 bucks every two years for unlimited everything, and a lot of build-ins and ready-mades for those that twirl that way.

I ain't that way. Most of my site is back-end and I mainly use it for FTP service and such.

You can build your own... A decent dedicated box and some reasonable broadband, and either a fixed IP or a DynDNS account to keep it pointed right... I do that too, with local.sitename.com pointed to a server in my house... But that needs some pooter literacy.

Depends on what you want it ~for~ .... If all you want is a wordpress blog and an email, about any ol thing will do. But  in that case, free quits being free most every time... and they will have bandwidth throttles until you pay... Not a problem if you have limited reach, but it will become a problem if you reach up form anonymity.

But if you are serious, go for a paid hosted site. What's it costing me? Like maybe 7 or 8 bucks a month? For the whole show? Please.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 03:58:39 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #5 on: August 31, 2020, 09:51:42 am »
You just going to register a name/domain? Or are you going to need hosting too? (2 separate transactions).   I like "Pair Networks"...not the cheapest but great customer support.

Hosting: https://www.pair.com

Their "Pair Domains" site: https://www.pairdomains.com/index.html   (for new name registration).

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 10:54:09 am »
If it’s a blog, I’d go with Blogger or Wordpress. Unfortunately, you don’t own the name, they do, but I had a lot of success with them.
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #7 on: August 31, 2020, 10:35:31 pm »
Drago wrote:
"You just going to register a name/domain? Or are you going to need hosting too? (2 separate transactions).   I like "Pair Networks"...not the cheapest but great customer support."

I had an idea for a web site. Maybe it's been done already.
I'd just like to register the name for now.
Not sure what I'm going to do with it, if anything.
If I register the domain name with a free registration service (just to get the name), can I still use the domain name later on with a "paid" hosting service...?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: August 31, 2020, 10:51:27 pm »
If I register the domain name with a free registration service (just to get the name), can I still use the domain name later on with a "paid" hosting service...?

Yes. But the registration will cost you a pittance per year, and will require a name and an address.
Most folks would prefer to use a business name and PO box rather than a personal name and street addy.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"
« Reply #9 on: September 01, 2020, 04:21:31 am »
What "Roamer_1" said!  I would add that the choice of "suffix" (.com, .org, .me, .us, .pet) affects the yearly price, and not all "registrants"/companies have all the "suffixes" available...may have to shop around if wanting an unusual suffix.

Also, if you are into cryptocurrency/blockchain there is "Unstoppable Domains":
https://unstoppabledomains.com

and

https://www.coindesk.com/the-ethereum-name-service-is-turning-nearly-300000-eth-domains-into-nfts

Otherwise prices for "normal" ones at Pair: https://www.pairdomains.com/pricing.html