Author Topic: Green Berets in Korea: A firsthand account of Special Forces life  (Read 195 times)

rangerrebew

Green Berets in Korea: A firsthand account of Special Forces life

George Hand | August 27, 2020

Korea… yeah — don’t get me started! My Green Beret A-Team went there a few times a year pretty much to suffer, return to the States, and talk about how much we suffered for the rest of the year. Our situational mantra was:

“Well, at least we’re not in Big Army.”

While true, a pallid consolation at best.

We alway parachuted in with all our combat gear and moved overland to link up with buses that drove us to our Forward Operations Base (FOB). I confess there is always a thrill being in a new country for the first time, at least for Green Berets there is. I recall humping cross-country with my team across rice paddies where rural folks were non-stop laboring.

https://www.sandboxx.us/blog/green-berets-in-korea-a-firsthand-account-of-special-forces-life/

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Re: Green Berets in Korea: A firsthand account of Special Forces life
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 03:28:44 pm »
1st Group has been going on joint training mission to Korea ever since SF first landed on Okinawa.

Here is a funny,and true story about one 1st Group TDY team. Can't remember any names now due to time and chemo brain,but at the end of each deployment it is a requirement to have a "joint forces celebration at the successful completion of the training mission" party.

BTW,some of these deployments are more "real" than typical training missions. It was not unusual back in the 60's for teams on training missions to Korea to get into gun fights with North Koreans infiltrating into SK.

Anyhow,at the end of this one training mission the speeches were made,the back slaps were exchanged,and smiles were everywhere due to the massive liquor intake.

Then a Korean civilian there that had just sat and quietly listened to the speeches walked up and asked the US team sgt for advice on how HE would handle the infiltration problems and the other problems the NK's were creating in SK,and since he was drunk,and since this Korean was a "nothing/nobody civilian" so unimportant that nobody even bothered to introduce him,he gave him straight answers.

That was when he was shocked to discover the "civilian" was the President of South Korea,and HE had just been named the new SK Defense Minister.

No shit. I understand it took some delicate political maneuvering to get him out of that without anyone political getting their toes stepped on.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!