Author Topic: Event 201  (Read 851 times)

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Event 201
« on: August 22, 2020, 08:08:46 pm »
https://www.centerforhealthsecurity.org/event201/

October 18, 2019

Event 201

The Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security in partnership with the World Economic Forum and the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation hosted Event 201, a high-level pandemic exercise on October 18, 2019, in New York, NY. The exercise illustrated areas where public/private partnerships will be necessary during the response to a severe pandemic in order to diminish large-scale economic and societal consequences.

Statement about nCoV and our pandemic exercise

In recent years, the world has seen a growing number of epidemic events, amounting to approximately 200 events annually. These events are increasing, and they are disruptive to health, economies, and society. Managing these events already strains global capacity, even absent a pandemic threat. Experts agree that it is only a matter of time before one of these epidemics becomes global—a pandemic with potentially catastrophic consequences. A severe pandemic, which becomes “Event 201,” would require reliable cooperation among several industries, national governments, and key international institutions.

The Event 201 scenario

Event 201 simulates an outbreak of a novel zoonotic coronavirus transmitted from bats to pigs to people that eventually becomes efficiently transmissible from person to person, leading to a severe pandemic. The pathogen and the disease it causes are modeled largely on SARS, but it is more transmissible in the community setting by people with mild symptoms.

The disease starts in pig farms in Brazil, quietly and slowly at first, but then it starts to spread more rapidly in healthcare settings. When it starts to spread efficiently from person to person in the low-income, densely packed neighborhoods of some of the megacities in South America, the epidemic explodes. It is first exported by air travel to Portugal, the United States, and China and then to many other countries. Although at first some countries are able to control it, it continues to spread and be reintroduced, and eventually no country can maintain control.

There is no possibility of a vaccine being available in the first year. There is a fictional antiviral drug that can help the sick but not significantly limit spread of the disease.

Since the whole human population is susceptible, during the initial months of the pandemic, the cumulative number of cases increases exponentially, doubling every week. And as the cases and deaths accumulate, the economic and societal consequences become increasingly severe.

The scenario ends at the 18-month point, with 65 million deaths. The pandemic is beginning to slow due to the decreasing number of susceptible people. The pandemic will continue at some rate until there is an effective vaccine or until 80-90 % of the global population has been exposed. From that point on, it is likely to be an endemic childhood disease.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 08:11:06 pm by bigheadfred »
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Re: Event 201
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2020, 08:10:18 pm »
I researched this some. Fact check says there is no correlation to the current pandemic.

First I have heard of this. It may have been posted before and I missed it.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2020, 08:28:52 pm »
They say this is a coincidence. @LegalAmerican

I don't believe in coincidence.

I haven't looked yet. But I bet the conspiracy theorists are running wild with this.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2020, 08:47:29 pm »
Fairly recent article from Nature.

It is all Trump's fault. Clickbait or plain BS?

Two decades of pandemic war games failed to account for Donald Trump

04 August 2020

Like all pandemics, it started out small. A novel coronavirus emerged in Brazil, jumping from bats to pigs to farmers before making its way to a big city with an international airport. From there, infected travellers carried it to the United States, Portugal and China. Within 18 months, the coronavirus had spread around the world, 65 million people were dead and the global economy was in free fall.

From the article:

US President Donald Trump has sidelined and ignored experts in epidemiology.

Credit: Sarah Silbiger/UPI/Bloomberg via Getty

https://media.nature.com/lw800/magazine-assets/d41586-020-02277-6/d41586-020-02277-6_18236900.jpg

@PeteS in CA

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2020, 08:47:30 pm »
They say this is a coincidence. @LegalAmerican

I don't believe in coincidence.

I haven't looked yet. But I bet the conspiracy theorists are running wild with this.
It's about like having 'crisis actors' in town for dry run for a mass casualty event, then having some wacko shoot up the school. It provides fertile ground for theories to grow.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Hoodat

« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2020, 09:29:33 pm »
The prosecution rests, your honor.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2020, 10:41:07 pm »
Excellent post, Fred.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2020, 10:49:53 pm »
The exercise illustrated areas where public/private partnerships will be necessary during the response to a severe pandemic in order to diminish large-scale economic and societal consequences.

Well, I hope we did not spend billions on this little game cause we certainly did not learn anything...

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2020, 10:54:36 pm »
Well, I hope we did not spend billions on this little game cause we certainly did not learn anything...
Maybe WE didn't, but THEY did.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #9 on: August 23, 2020, 01:09:56 am »
Maybe WE didn't, but THEY did.

I think what they spent has been recouped. With many more billions in the horizon.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2020, 10:45:01 pm »
Since I found this on Google and did some research on the computer this topic is showing up on my "recommended" Youtube viewing.

Here is something I didn't know.

Use a different name on YouTube than your Google Account ...