Author Topic: Can loneliness be cured with a pill? Scientists are now asking the question  (Read 1490 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/06/loneliness-cure-pill-research-scientists

A growing number of people share her affliction – so much so that some governments are incorporating loneliness into their health public policy. To help people like her, a number of scientists are researching medical solutions, such as pills and nasal sprays. But will treating loneliness like a disease, rather than an existential question, work to ease their pain?

(excerpt)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Online roamer_1

In a word, no. A pill might make you content to be alone - being an introvert - But it cannot replace the craved interaction. Being an introvert myself, I make it a point to develop human interactions even though, or even because my tendency is to be content with my own company. Any human interaction improves my life. And in that, I find need to discipline myself to seek it.

'Happy pills' have always been a lie.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
DMT
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online roamer_1

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Pharmakopia

Right.

Invite a couple of demons in and you would pray to Gd you were lonely again.

She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline libertybele

https://www.theguardian.com/lifeandstyle/2020/aug/06/loneliness-cure-pill-research-scientists

A growing number of people share her affliction – so much so that some governments are incorporating loneliness into their health public policy. To help people like her, a number of scientists are researching medical solutions, such as pills and nasal sprays. But will treating loneliness like a disease, rather than an existential question, work to ease their pain?

(excerpt)

I find fault with our "medical community" more often than not. Popping a "pill" usually masks the symptoms rather than resolving or curing the disease or health issue.  I don't see that popping a pill is going to resolve loneliness only putting that "patient" in a different mind frame.  How can a pill take the place of another human being??  Impossible.  It may be able to alter the mind into thinking that they aren't lonely, but what does that truly resolve?  Interacting with other humans and having some kind of emotional bond is what helps loneliness.

I think it would be more prudent and healthier to create avenues for those people afflicted to meet others whether it be joining clubs, scheduling social outings and group functions and counseling rather than handing them a pill.

If you walk into any retirement community or assisted living facility they all have some kind of daily "activity" for all of them to do together as a group - cookouts, day trips to local attractions, bingo, sing alongs, arts and crafts projects, movie nights, etc.  Many have lost loved ones and are truly alone in life but this setting enables them to have human interaction.  They may not be able to develop the deep emotional bonds, but they still have contact and interaction with other human beings.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline libertybele

Right.

Invite a couple of demons in and you would pray to Gd you were lonely again.

888high58888

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online corbe

Sure.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online rustynail

"Can loneliness be cured with a pill?"..depends who brings them.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I find it—I'm not sure I can find a word for it, but some weird combination of amused yet enraged—that after months of government policies that have caused loneliness to skyrocket while the same said governments refuse to give up on those same policies regardless of how effective they are at their task, now they want to promote pills as a solution instead of fixing the root issue, which is social distancing. Which, of course, countless people had warned about when they started this mess.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline libertybele

I find it—I'm not sure I can find a word for it, but some weird combination of amused yet enraged—that after months of government policies that have caused loneliness to skyrocket while the same said governments refuse to give up on those same policies regardless of how effective they are at their task, now they want to promote pills as a solution instead of fixing the root issue, which is social distancing. Which, of course, countless people had warned about when they started this mess.

You are absolutely correct and yes, I'd say enraged is a legitimate reaction to being "forced" into social distancing, isolation, lockdown, etc.  Some people lost loved ones that they were not allowed to be with during their battle with COVID -- that's loneliness alright.

We're protecting the elderly?  Really?  How many are dying before they get to reconnect with their loved ones??  How many families have been isolated and now those relationships have become so distant that the relationships are forever fractured?

Yes, and now they want to throw a dang pill at the situation .... what a bunch of buttheads!

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

If you can't find a word make one up.

Like this.

ludicontradictadoxical

Online corbe

This Covid has been tough on everyone.  Especially, the already Lonely, and has even further devastated the marginalized people in society (those living on the boundaries anyway).  Suicides' are way up on a National Level and if that's not a Heart Breaker enough then all the people separated from their Family and Loved Ones in Nursing Homes just wants to make me cry even more, so I make humour to keep my soul from sinking even further into this abyss.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Hoodat

Thorazine may not cure loneliness, but it will make it so where loneliness won't matter any more.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

Get on the internet.  Problem solved. 

Online corbe

The Beatles - Eleanor Rigby (From "Yellow Submarine")

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Hoodat

Bobby Vinton  -  Mr. Lonely

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

I just refused to comply... One of my socializing exercises is to go around and pay my bills in person... That part has been curtailed... ALL banks and utilities are internet only. And that is a bummer. It may seem strange to y'all, but I really miss all them folks.

But I have been to many family events, several tailgate parties, had folks over sitting on the porch in a great Bible debate, and even been down to the river quite a bit (typical redneck summer meeting place is the swimming hole).

There are ways and ways.

Offline libertybele

This Covid has been tough on everyone.  Especially, the already Lonely, and has even further devastated the marginalized people in society (those living on the boundaries anyway).  Suicides' are way up on a National Level and if that's not a Heart Breaker enough then all the people separated from their Family and Loved Ones in Nursing Homes just wants to make me cry even more, so I make humour to keep my soul from sinking even further into this abyss.

Indeed -- Grandparents separated from grandkids, parents from their adult children, clubs, church groups, gym buddies, etc.,  IT. IS. RIDICULOUSLY WRONG!   Ya there's video chat -- but you can't hug a freakin' video!

Things for the most part are back to mostly normal, but my health and my husband's health has deteriorated significantly since the beginning of COVID.   9999hair out0000

I blame Fauci for the lockdown and blame Fauci and Biden in part for inflicting the virus on this country!   888mouth

Online roamer_1

If you can't find a word make one up.

Like this.

ludicontradictadoxical

Reading that left me exhausterpated.

Online corbe

John Lyons - Lonely Fool

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline libertybele

Exhausterpated is almost as bad as being frazzlefide.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer

Better than consternpated.

Online roamer_1

Exhausterpated is almost as bad as being frazzlefide.

Oopsiedoodletude.  :shrug:

Offline Hoodat

The Motels  -  Only the Lonely

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-