Author Topic: Southern Command eyes Venezuela’s illicit connections and Iranian patronage  (Read 165 times)

rangerrebew

Southern Command eyes Venezuela’s illicit connections and Iranian patronage
by Abraham Mahshie, Defense Reporter
 | August 16, 2020 06:30 AM

Nicolas Maduro of Venezuela is relying on illicit networks that range from drug traffickers to America's adversaries to hold on to power, U.S. Southern Command’s Adm. Craig Faller said Thursday.

“The center of gravity for the Maduro regime’s illicit activities are Cuba, Russia, increasingly Iran,” Faller said on an Atlantic Council virtual discussion Thursday, describing activities that include illegal gold mining and sanctions evasion.

In April, President Trump authorized Faller to initiate an enhanced counternarcotics effort across the Caribbean and eastern Pacific.

Ships and surveillance aircraft fanned out across the region, working with partner nations to seize drugs moving north and rob criminal organizations, including those connected to the Venezuelan government, of more than $1.5 billion in finances, estimated Southcom.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/southern-command-eyes-venezuelas-illicit-connections-and-iranian-patronage

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Squeeze them until they start squealing.  I had always hoped Chavez would have been executed by his own people.  Maduro will do just fine.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.