Author Topic: Mnuchin on $600 unemployment benefit: We can't be 'paying people more to stay home'  (Read 617 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Mnuchin on $600 unemployment benefit: We can't be 'paying people more to stay home'
By John Bowden - 08/02/20 09:57 AM EDT

Treasury Secretary Steven Mnuchin on Sunday threw cold water on the prospect of extending $600 unemployment benefits for Americans for the duration of the COVID-19 pandemic.

In an interview with ABC's "This Week," Mnuchin suggested that the payments, which expired last week, led to some out-of-work Americans being "overpaid" and indicated that he believed they were slowing the return of workers to the labor market.

"Unemployment is supposed to be wage replacement, so it should be tied to some percentage of wages," he said. "The fact that we had a flat number was only an issue of an emergency where we had 30-year-old computer systems."

"I think, on the concept we absolutely agree on enhanced unemployment," Mnuchin continued. "We want to fix the issue where in some cases people are overpaid, and we want to make sure there's the right incentive [to get back to work.]"

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/sunday-talk-shows/510172-mnuchin-on-600-unemployment-benefit-we-cant-be-paying-people-more
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline cato potatoe

I just don't understand why a flat $600 is the magic number.  This exceeds most service industry wages.  Even the dumbest liberals must understand the concept of moral hazard.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I am watching this on tv now,and Mnuchin is knocking it out of the park. Dims must be stroking out all over America.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Hoodat

Mnuchin on $600 unemployment benefit: We can't be 'paying people more to stay home'

We're paying them $600 to riot in Portland every day instead of having to show up for an actual job.  And without this new infusion of money, the Democrat Party would be broke.  Now they'll be able to count on new donations through November.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
I just don't understand why a flat $600 is the magic number.  This exceeds most service industry wages.  Even the dumbest liberals must understand the concept of moral hazard.

I was wondering about that, too. I wonder if it is a preemptive way to get people conditioned to nationwide $15 dollar minimum wage (40 x 15 = $600) now that the precedent has been set.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021