Author Topic: Time for the Press to End Its Love Affair With Marxism  (Read 121 times)

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Time for the Press to End Its Love Affair With Marxism
« on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:36 pm »
https://townhall.com/columnists/laurahollis/2020/07/30/time-for-the-press-to-end-its-love-affair-with-marxism-n2573412

July 30, 2020
Laura Hollis

I watched director Agnieszka Holland's award-winning film "Mr. Jones" this week. It's truly outstanding, a quiet masterpiece about the young Welsh journalist Gareth Jones who risked his life to expose what is now called the Holomodor, the 1932-33 famine in Ukraine caused by the collectivist policies of Soviet dictator Josef Stalin.

Aware of troubling rumors, Jones used his political connections as foreign policy advisor to English Prime Minister Lloyd George to get a visa into the Soviet Union -- very difficult to do at the time -- and, from Moscow, finagled his way onto a train into Ukraine, where he slipped past his handlers and spent two or three weeks traipsing from village to village. What he saw there seared his soul, and he recorded his observations in diaries that survived his untimely death (Jones was murdered in China on the eve of his 30th birthday).

Stalin's collectivization of farming and food production in Ukraine -- the Soviet Union's "breadbasket" -- resulted in widespread famine and deaths of anywhere from four to 10 million people from starvation. Many of the villages Jones came across were devoid of people; most of the livestock were dead; frozen corpses lay in the streets or uncollected in their homes. Hollow-eyed children begged for food. People told Jones stories of those who had gone mad from hunger and resorted to cannibalism (one of the starkest scenes in the film).

Jones was arrested and deported, and the Soviet government threatened retribution if any word of the troubles in Ukraine got out. In the film, Jones is asked before he leaves Moscow to clearly repeat the propaganda "There is no famine in Ukraine."

But Jones refused to be silenced. Upon his return to Europe, he wrote and spoke out about what he had seen and the disastrous policies of the communists in the Soviet Union.

More at URL above...

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Time for the Press to End Its Love Affair With Marxism
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2020, 04:36:59 pm »
How to find "Mr. Jones":
A URL for you:
knaben.xyz/s/keepgoing.php?url=/torrent/36064917/Mr..Jones.2019.1080p.BluRay.x264.AAC5.1

Note: I have deliberately made this "un-clickable". You will have to add "https://" to the front to have a clickable link.

You'll also need a torrent app to download the magnet, once you have it.
On the Mac, "Transmission" is what you want.

You'll enjoy this film.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2020, 05:07:32 pm »
Jones had a partner-in-crime, kind of---Malcolm Muggeridge. Muggeridge had to sneak his dispatches on the Ukraine famine out of Moscow via diplomatic bag after having defied Soviet authorities to travel to Ukraine and Caucasus to look into rumours he'd heard about the famine which, of course, turned out true. Jones actually wrote letters in Muggeridge's defense after the Muggeridge pieces were published only partially and not under Muggeridge's name, the British press then having a policy of "not provoking" the Soviet authorities. Thus prompting Muggeridge to turn those pieces partially into his satirical novel of Western journalists's lack of critiques of Stalin's Soviet Union, Winter in Moscow.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2020, 05:18:29 pm »

Nice sentiment but it's never going to happen!

In fact, I find it somewhat hilarious!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien