Author Topic: Battle Portland:  (Read 109190 times)

Online roamer_1

Re: Battle Portland:
« Reply #725 on: January 21, 2021, 04:36:13 pm »
Nope.  The "alternative" is long gone from that God-forsaken city.

And the three men I admire most
The Father, Son, and the Holy Ghost
They caught the last train for the coast
The day the music died

--Don McClean

Suits me fine if they want to sh*t where they eat... Sooner or later somebody will figure it out. You want to see em start voting proper, let em live with it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #726 on: January 21, 2021, 04:36:54 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Don McClain put out that one great album,and seems to have never been heard from again. He obviously had the talent,so he must not have enjoyed the damands and the lifestyle.

Not his only album, but the only one that sold, and introduced what's become a touchstone song for that era.  :shrug: 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online roamer_1

« Reply #727 on: January 21, 2021, 04:42:33 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Don McClain put out that one great album,and seems to have never been heard from again. He obviously had the talent,so he must not have enjoyed the damands and the lifestyle.

FACTS. Vincent, Empty Chairs, Winterwood, Everybody Loves Me Baby, Babylon... That I can still recall those songs all these years later tells the impact of that album.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #728 on: January 21, 2021, 04:49:38 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

There are musical  one hit wonders scattered all along the landscape. 

8-6-7-5-3-0-9 eyine
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #729 on: January 21, 2021, 05:02:20 pm »
FACTS. Vincent, Empty Chairs, Winterwood, Everybody Loves Me Baby, Babylon... That I can still recall those songs all these years later tells the impact of that album.

Ditto.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #730 on: January 21, 2021, 05:10:50 pm »
There are musical  one hit wonders scattered all along the landscape. 

8-6-7-5-3-0-9 eyine

@catfish1957

Anybody that thinks he was a one-hit wonder has obviously never listened to his whole album.

The music biz is a tough business. Especially if you have a family. You are on the road touring all the time to promote your current album,or the company will drop you.

It's not for everybody. If you think it is easy,ask yourself "Why are there so many talented song writers you never see putting out there own albums?"

The answer is they don't want to live their lives on the road,and the money and fame just isn't that important to them.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #731 on: January 21, 2021, 05:17:00 pm »

"Starry, starry night..."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #732 on: January 21, 2021, 05:23:18 pm »

Paint your palette blue and gray...

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #733 on: January 21, 2021, 06:14:27 pm »
It's fairly obvious that Van Gogh needed glasses.  In fact, all the impressionists did.

If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #734 on: January 21, 2021, 06:20:46 pm »
@catfish1957

Anybody that thinks he was a one-hit wonder has obviously never listened to his whole album.

I am a classic rock aficionado.  Calling him a "one hit wonder" was not a knock on this classic album.  It was iconic, and spoke from the heart.  OTOH, the fact is he didn't have any followup success....  hence the term.....   one hit wonder.

You know, its not like I am comparing this to "The Macarena"
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #735 on: January 21, 2021, 06:27:13 pm »
It's fairly obvious that Van Gogh needed glasses.  In fact, all the impressionists did.

Photography killed art in the late 19th century, early 20th century.  Thus the advent of Impressionism,. Cubeism, Pollockish garbage, and the absract stuff we have seen since.

Myself?  I am more touched by a majestic Bierstadt work, or something intricately painted during medival times. 

Online mountaineer

« Reply #736 on: January 21, 2021, 06:29:14 pm »
I saw Don McLean open for Roberta Flack a zillion years ago. He complained a lot about the venue and sound system, but his performance was pretty good.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #737 on: January 21, 2021, 06:30:34 pm »
I am a classic rock aficionado.  Calling him a "one hit wonder" was not a knock on this classic album.  It was iconic, and spoke from the heart.  OTOH, the fact is he didn't have any followup success....  hence the term.....   one hit wonder.

You know, its not like I am comparing this to "The Macarena"

There are "one-hit wonders" and "one-anthem wonders."  He may have had just the one smash hit, but it's considered an anthem for his generation.  Look at how it's still quoted so often.  I don't see many people quoting Stairway to Heaven.

I hope Don appreciates that feather in his song-writing cap.  It's a biggie.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #738 on: January 21, 2021, 06:32:16 pm »
I saw Don McLean open for Roberta Flack a zillion years ago. He complained a lot about the venue and sound system, but his performance was pretty good.

Gordon Lightfoot was like that....

Know who I really liked in concert?  Don't laugh:  Harry Chapin.
I will NOT comply.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #739 on: January 21, 2021, 06:38:11 pm »
I don't see many people quoting Stairway to Heaven.

STH is highly over played and over rated.  IMO 7th best song on one of the best rock albums ever made

As far as anthems and the like, Neil Young was up there for me. Saw him twice, and it was epic.  OTOH, he went ultra ultra left and was as loud or louder than other performers.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2021, 06:40:44 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #740 on: January 21, 2021, 06:42:44 pm »

@Cyber Liberty

YIKES! How the HELL did that one slip my mind?  I read the words and could instantly hear the music and his voice as clear as a bell.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #741 on: January 21, 2021, 07:16:49 pm »
I've got nothing on my mind, nothing to remember
Nothing to forget, I've got nothing to regret
But I'm all tied up on the inside
No one knows quite what I've got
And I know that on the outside
What I used to be, I'm not anymore

You know I've heard about people like me
But I never made the connection
They walk one road to set them free
And find they've gone the wrong direction

But there's no need for turning back
'Cause all roads lead to where I stand
And I believe I'll walk them all
No matter what I may have planned

Can you remember who I was? Can you still feel it?
Can you find my pain? Can you heal it?
Then lay your hands upon me now
And cast this darkness from my soul
You alone can light my way
You alone can make me whole once again

We've walked both sides of every street
Through all kinds of windy weather
But that was never our defeat
As long as we could walk together

So there's no need for turning back
'Cause all roads lead to where we stand
And I believe we'll walk them all
No matter what we may have planned

Don McLean  -  Crossroads

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #742 on: January 21, 2021, 07:21:01 pm »
Empty Chairs

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Online mountaineer

« Reply #743 on: January 21, 2021, 07:58:18 pm »
Know who I really liked in concert?  Don't laugh:  Harry Chapin.
Mr. M has a personal tale about him. He was supposed to perform in Charleston, W.Va., but was caught in a tremendous snowstorm en route. He finally arrived hours late. Just a handful of people had waited at the concert venue, but Harry gave them the full concert and was, in Mr. M's view, extremely gracious about the whole thing.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #744 on: January 21, 2021, 08:42:39 pm »
Mr. M has a personal tale about him. He was supposed to perform in Charleston, W.Va., but was caught in a tremendous snowstorm en route. He finally arrived hours late. Just a handful of people had waited at the concert venue, but Harry gave them the full concert and was, in Mr. M's view, extremely gracious about the whole thing.

I miss Harry, even. though he probably would have been a Bernie bot....
I will NOT comply.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #745 on: January 21, 2021, 10:36:21 pm »
sneakypete wrote:
"Don McClain put out that one great album,and seems to have never been heard from again. He obviously had the talent,so he must not have enjoyed the damands and the lifestyle."

You completely misjudged Don McLean.
One great song and one great album was all he needed.

McLean was a student of finance before he hit it big with American Pie. I remember seeing him at a concert with Pete Seeger (at no less than Carnegie Hall, if I recall) back in '68 or '69. Pete brought him out for a song or two. I think he sang American Pie with only his guitar back then.

But after it hit big, he was savvy enough to retain control of his rights over the song, and used his financial training to invest well.

In an interview he did a few years' back, he reckoned he was worth...
$135 million.
That's not a mistype.

He's still put out albums since then, one not so long ago.

For Mr. McLean, "one hit" was all he needed.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #746 on: January 21, 2021, 11:13:54 pm »
sneakypete wrote:
"Don McClain put out that one great album,and seems to have never been heard from again. He obviously had the talent,so he must not have enjoyed the damands and the lifestyle."

McLean was a student of finance before he hit it big with American Pie. I remember seeing him at a concert with Pete Seeger (at no less than Carnegie Hall, if I recall) back in '68 or '69. Pete brought him out for a song or two. I think he sang American Pie with only his guitar back then.

But after it hit big, he was savvy enough to retain control of his rights over the song, and used his financial training to invest well.

$135 million.
That's not a mistype.

Good story Pete.  Not many rocks stars have the ability to retire after 1 year.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #747 on: January 22, 2021, 01:25:59 am »
I miss Harry, even. though he probably would have been a Bernie bot....

@Cyber Liberty

That's ok. A few of those people,if "gifted" like he was are necessary to provide a little balance.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #748 on: January 22, 2021, 01:27:19 am »
sneakypete wrote:

$135 million.
That's not a mistype.

@Fishrrman

Thanks,and good for him!

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #749 on: January 22, 2021, 03:30:23 am »

That banner is the gambit by which the Biden Administration will demand that good people give in to "reasonable" demands that "assault weapons" be surrendered.

Just wait.

(And yes, that is an AK)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis