Author Topic: Federal judge temporarily bars federal officers in Portland from taking actions against journalists,  (Read 585 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Federal judge temporarily bars federal officers in Portland from taking actions against journalists, observers
By Marty Johnson - 07/23/20 09:41 PM EDT

A federal judge in Oregon Thursday night issued a temporary restraining order against the federal agents deployed in Portland, prohibiting them from threatening to arrest, arresting, dispersing or using force against journalists and legal observers who are at the protests.

The lawsuit was filed by the ACLU, and the restraining order acts against the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) and U.S. Marshals Service. Portland police were already banned from arresting or attacking journalists and legal observers at the protests.

Per the order — issued by U.S. District Judge Michael Simon — the stationed federal officers also cannot seize any photography, audio- or video-recording equipment as well as press passes from the journalists and legal observers. Additionally, journalists and legal observers cannot be made to stop recording or photographing a protest.
ADVERTISEMENT

“This order is a victory for the rule of law,” Jann Carson, interim executive director of the ACLU of Oregon, said in a statement.

“Federal agents from Trump’s Departments of Homeland Security and Justice are terrorizing the community, threatening lives, and relentlessly attacking journalists and legal observers documenting protests. These are the actions of a tyrant, and they have no place anywhere in America.”

"Black Lives Matter" protests have filled the streets of downtown Portland since the police killing of George Floyd in Minneapolis at the end of May.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/508834-federal-judge-temporarily-bars-federal-officers-in-portland-from
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Big deal.  We don't want to jail "observers," we want to jail terrorists and vandals.

Your move, yer honor.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A judge has no jurisdiction when it comes to security during an emergency.

Just ignore him
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline skeeter

A judge prevents US marshals from enforcing the laws against acts of violence and wanton destruction of property local leaders refuse to stop. Surreal.

Offline Applewood

A judge prevents US marshals from enforcing the laws against acts of violence and wanton destruction of property local leaders refuse to stop. Surreal.

Sounds like this order only pertains to actions by the feds against journalists and observers -- e.g., seizing camera footage of events -- not whatever they do to the anarchists and terrorists. 

Offline skeeter

Sounds like this order only pertains to actions by the feds against journalists and observers -- e.g., seizing camera footage of events -- not whatever they do to the anarchists and terrorists.

Does that include everyone with a cell phone?

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

The cell phone footage of the events is a powerful tool the Feds need for catching the miscreants.  This Judge needs to be ignored, and DoJ needs to appeal this to clean up the mess.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
For the life of me, I simply cannot imagine any reason for the Feds or Trump to be involved in this.
Why would anyone 'force' help on a community of people who openly 'hate' the people trying to help them?
I want to see Portland, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, LA, and all the rest go up in flames. Hell yes!
Everyone is calling this a crisis. I see it as a blessing. Burn Portland to the ground.
That's fine with me. More power to them...
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline DB

Actually when law enforcement gives a lawful order to clear an area there is no legal exception for "journalist" or "observers" whatever the hell that is. Journalist and "observers" do not get to hang out at a crime scene - and a riot is a crime scene.

If you are in the middle of a riot and have been told to leave by law enforcement and decide to stay - you are a party to the riot like it or not.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For the life of me, I simply cannot imagine any reason for the Feds or Trump to be involved in this.
Why would anyone 'force' help on a community of people who openly 'hate' the people trying to help them?
I want to see Portland, Seattle, Chicago, NYC, LA, and all the rest go up in flames. Hell yes!
Everyone is calling this a crisis. I see it as a blessing. Burn Portland to the ground.
That's fine with me. More power to them...

Did you miss the part about trying to trash the Federal building?
I will NOT comply.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Did you miss the part about trying to trash the Federal building?
Did you miss the part when I wrote, 'Burn Portland to the ground.'?
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Did you miss the part when I wrote, 'Burn Portland to the ground.'?

No, I didn't.  It's why I asked.  Personally, I'd like to see Portland burned to the ground too, but as the Wicked Witch of the West said, "These things must be done delicately."
I will NOT comply.