Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian  (Read 5119 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
<snipit>
Sen. Ted Cruz said the future of conservatism after President Trump leaves office can be both populist and libertarian.

The Texas Republican weighed on ideological debates among conservatives, saying the future of conservative politics can be a combination of libertarian beliefs and populism during a Tuesday interview with the Washington Examiner about his podcast, The Verdict, co-hosted by conservative commentator Michael Knowles.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ted-cruz-future-of-conservatism-is-populist-and-libertarian
================================================================================

One of the last of our breed in the Senate, predicting our demise?  Or has Cruz decided early on to adopt the Trump play book.  Very telling, there was no mention of fiscal reponsibility  And that's a damned shame.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Re: Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian
« Reply #1 on: July 14, 2020, 09:45:58 pm »
<snipit>
Sen. Ted Cruz said the future of conservatism after President Trump leaves office can be both populist and libertarian.

The Texas Republican weighed on ideological debates among conservatives, saying the future of conservative politics can be a combination of libertarian beliefs and populism during a Tuesday interview with the Washington Examiner about his podcast, The Verdict, co-hosted by conservative commentator Michael Knowles.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/ted-cruz-future-of-conservatism-is-populist-and-libertarian
================================================================================

One of the last of our breed in the Senate, predicting our demise?  Or has Cruz decided early on to adopt the Trump play book.  Very telling, there was no mention of fiscal reponsibility  And that's a damned shame.

What would be wrong with putting this country first and protecting our liberties at the same time?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2020, 09:53:07 pm »
What would be wrong with putting this country first and protecting our liberties at the same time?

Nothing wrong with that.  My heartburn is that the base  cornerstone of conservatism, fiscal responsibily is being lost in his statement, and in the argument in gerneral .

Furthermore, for benchmark purpose, the existing populist and libertarian leader is in the process of adding $9T debt to our bottom line this year.   There is not going to be much liberty protections if we are ass deep in a financial crisis.  We need leaders who can kill Fedzilla. not feed it.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2020, 09:58:38 pm »
The future of conservatism, needs to be - CONSERVATISM - not populist or libertarian.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2020, 09:59:14 pm »
Nothing wrong with that.  My heartburn is that the base  cornerstone of conservatism, fiscal responsibily is being lost in his statement, and in the argument in gerneral .

Furthermore, for benchmark purpose, the existing populist and libertarian leader is in the process of adding $9T debt to our bottom line this year.   There is not going to be much liberty protections if we are ass deep in a financial crisis.  We need leaders who can kill Fedzilla. not feed it.

I was unaware that presidents got to appropriate money.  If I'm wrong please show me where that authority is to be found in the constitution.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2020, 10:01:34 pm »
I was unaware that presidents got to appropriate money.  If I'm wrong please show me where that authority is to be found in the constitution.

You don't think they influence spending, spending bills, or spending patterns?  Trump's done that all kind of ways in the past 3 or 4 months.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2020, 10:04:19 pm »
You don't think they influence spending, spending bills, or spending patterns?  Trump's done that all kind of ways in the past 3 or 4 months.

They have every right to try but in the end, it is CONGRESS that does the appropriating!  I'm just laying the problem at the right set of feet.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online DB

« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2020, 10:11:17 pm »

Populism has no foundation. It is simply which way the wind is blowing that day. Policy can change on a dime as the mob ebbs and flows.

Populism has little issue with printing money for endless free stuff. The only thing that matters to it is who's getting the free stuff.

And it is the road to economic ruin. No country has long survived it.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:14:34 pm by DB »

Online DB

« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2020, 10:14:22 pm »
They have every right to try but in the end, it is CONGRESS that does the appropriating!  I'm just laying the problem at the right set of feet.

The President has long directed the agenda on spending. Trump has managed to direct large amounts to the military for example. If he's as powerless as you say what difference does it make who's elected President? And did you say the same thing during the Obama years has he set the agenda spending trillions we don't have?

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 10:17:10 pm »
The President has long directed the agenda on spending. Trump has managed to direct large amounts to the military for example. If he's as powerless as you say what difference does it make who's elected President? And did you say the same thing during the Obama years has he set the agenda spending trillions we don't have?

Also welds a veto pen too. 

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2020, 10:36:53 pm »
"Libertarians"???
One of the lowest political animals on earth, just a step above "pacifists".

Reminds me of that character in Atlas Shrugged who kept proclaiming "it's not my fault!" They essentially accept no blame nor responsibility for anything, and refuse to support almost any political point of view.

Seems to me that the notion of "defunding the police" falls right into the tenets of libertarianism. Or more appropriately, "abolish the police" so everyone can do as they please, with the assumption that people will not harm each other. Look to the big cities right now to see how well that's workin' out...

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2020, 10:38:23 pm »

The Cruz Knowles podcasts are excellent. The forces that elected Trump are strong in this country.

I hope Sen Cruz runs for Potus in 2024.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2020, 10:40:03 pm »

I never said the president was powerless and Yes I said the exact same thing when Obama was president. Same for Reagan, Nixon, Carter, Clinton, and both Bushs.  Congress has unconstitutionally abdicated its powers over almost everything but spending money.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 10:41:51 pm by Bigun »

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2020, 10:45:22 pm »
"Libertarians"???
One of the lowest political animals on earth, just a step above "pacifists".

Reminds me of that character in Atlas Shrugged who kept proclaiming "it's not my fault!" They essentially accept no blame nor responsibility for anything, and refuse to support almost any political point of view.

Seems to me that the notion of "defunding the police" falls right into the tenets of libertarianism. Or more appropriately, "abolish the police" so everyone can do as they please, with the assumption that people will not harm each other. Look to the big cities right now to see how well that's workin' out...

You can think whatever you like. I happen to agree with many Libertarian positions. They lose me on open borders and foreign policy across the board.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online roamer_1

« Reply #14 on: July 14, 2020, 10:50:10 pm »

Populism is a snake you'd better be holding by the head.

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: July 14, 2020, 10:58:10 pm »
Populism is a snake you'd better be holding by the head.

Yeah!  Theodore Roosevelt comes immediately to mind.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #16 on: July 14, 2020, 11:09:15 pm »
The Natural Law, which evolved w/Man, was the foundation for Principled conservatism.
It was uncovered thru reason, applying logic, involving concepts of right & wrong (morality)
derived from human nature.
In turn, conservatism represented enduring precepts/principles governing human conduct
concerning attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments as Man goes thru life.
In contrast, libertarianism labels freedom/liberty as Man's highest attribute and was formed
during the French Enlightenment from revolutionary leftist politics.
They have absolutely nothing in common w/each other.
Predictably another politico wants to re-define meaning that was born thousands of years ago.

Online libertybele

« Reply #17 on: July 14, 2020, 11:12:48 pm »
The Cruz Knowles podcasts are excellent. The forces that elected Trump are strong in this country.

I hope Sen Cruz runs for Potus in 2024.

I would like to see that as well, but after the continual beating and berating that Trump has received from the media and the leftists, I don't know that he will.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2020, 11:17:23 pm »
Gotta get past this election first. This one night be a nation ender.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2020, 11:19:21 pm »
I would like to see that as well, but after the continual beating and berating that Trump has received from the media and the leftists, I don't know that he will.

I think his long term aspirations should focus on a SCOTUS posiiton.

He unjustly still will have a lot of head wind even in our own party.  Take a visit over TOS, and see how many are still calling him Lyin' Ted.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 06:22:16 am by catfish1957 »

Online libertybele

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:57 pm »
I think his long term aspirations should focus on a SCOTUS posiiton.

He unjustly still will has a lot of head wind even in our own party.  Take a visit over TOS, and see how many are still calling him Lyin' Ted.

TOS?  I've never been ... and don't care to venture.  Sounds like a forum with more aggravation than its worth.

« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 11:27:42 pm by libertybele »

Online Bigun

• The FairTax Plan
« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2020, 11:21:59 pm »
The Natural Law, which evolved w/Man, was the foundation for Principled conservatism.
It was uncovered thru reason, applying logic, involving concepts of right & wrong (morality)
derived from human nature.
In turn, conservatism represented enduring precepts/principles governing human conduct
concerning attitudes, behaviors, impulses and sentiments as Man goes thru life.
In contrast, libertarianism labels freedom/liberty as Man's highest attribute and was formed
during the French Enlightenment from revolutionary leftist politics.

They have absolutely nothing in common w/each other.
Predictably another politico wants to re-define meaning that was born thousands of years ago.

Do you mind explaining where you came up with that notion?  I have no earthly idea.

- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Absalom

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2020, 11:23:39 pm »
The future of conservatism, needs to be - CONSERVATISM - not populist or libertarian.
-----------------------
Intuitive and on the mark.
Libertarianism was a fad of the French Revolutionary left.

Online libertybele

« Reply #23 on: July 14, 2020, 11:29:30 pm »
Gotta get past this election first. This one night be a nation ender.

:amen:  That is truly a possibility. I'm not so sure we as a country are going to make it to 2020 and if Trump wins can you imagine the rioting --- we ain't seen nothing yet, I'm afraid.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #24 on: July 15, 2020, 12:09:41 am »
Do you mind explaining where you came up with that notion?  I have no earthly idea.
-------------------------------
Libertarianism was born as a form of left-wing politics and promoted by it's
missionaries/preachers such as Joseph DeJacque, Pierre Proudhon and Sebastian Faure'.