Author Topic: Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian  (Read 5116 times)

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Ted Cruz: Future of conservatism is populist and libertarian
« Reply #75 on: July 16, 2020, 07:26:13 pm »

These days it is even the first thing that alleged conservative candidates want to talk about. Any candidate that doesn't address "what are you going to do for ME?" in a positive way,or is able to BS it to  a degree the rubes THINK he agrees with them.

@sneakypete

I mentioned earlier how finanical irresponsibility back in the day when we were young was looked down upon as a serious character flaw.  Terms like Bums, Freeloaders, and Cadgers followed these around like a low hanging cloud. And those who sponge off the "gubmit"?  Wow...  even worse.

Nowadays this trait runs rampant, where governemt entitlement has rapidly degraded into the rule, rather than the excpetion.  When the national debt eliminates the "gubmit's" ability to pay off these grifters?  Really get ready to watch the fireworks fly.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #76 on: July 16, 2020, 07:32:27 pm »
The powers that be have decided that deficit spending doesn't matter much. That the credit card will go on until at least they are no longer in power to be blamed for it. Party on...

And meanwhile people wonder why the cost of nearly everything has increased dramatically over the last 8 years or so. It might have something to do with the value of the dollar... And the reason why gold is at $1800+ an ounce... And when the dollar loses its standing in the world there is going to be hell to pay. That transition isn't likely to be gentle.

You are correct, sir.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Absalom

« Reply #77 on: July 16, 2020, 07:35:37 pm »
Oh HELL no.
----------------------------
Roamer, you're dealing w/cultists not rationalists.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #78 on: July 16, 2020, 07:42:11 pm »
That's what you think . . .
From The Demagogues are Running, William F. Buckley, Jr., Cigar Aficionado, March/April 2000
we have the one problem--the encouragement given to demagogues by undiscriminating voters. The procedure here is to attract support to finance a campaign. But does the term demagogue fit in other circumstances? What about the aspirant who has a private vision to offer to the public and has the means, personal or contrived, to finance a campaign? In some cases, the vision isn't merely a program to be adopted. It is a program that includes the visionary's serving as President. Look for the narcissist. The most obvious target in today's lineup is, of course, Donald Trump. When he looks at a glass, he is mesmerized by its reflection. If Donald Trump were shaped a little differently, he would compete for Miss America.
But whatever the depths of self-enchantment, the demagogue has to say
something. So what does Trump say? That he is a successful businessman and that that is what America needs in the Oval Office. There is some plausibility in this, though not much. The greatest deeds of American Presidents--midwifing the new republic; freeing the slaves; harnessing the energies and vision needed to win the Cold War--had little to do with a bottom line.
From WFB Today: In the age of Trump, the movement Bill Buckley founded needs rebuilding," National Review, 5 March 2018, referencing the Cigar Aficionado essay---by Richard Brookhiser, who knew Buckley since joining National Review full time as a senior editor in 1977:
This was a political as well as a personal judgment: Trump sought office not to accomplish anything, but to advance and gratify himself. Candidate Trump had issues in 2000, and more in 2016, and beyond. But Bill knew his man. They had been fellow New Yorkers for decades. Bill did not regularly read Page Six, but his wife Pat did. Bill had observed every step of Trump’s public career. He knew Trump was gilt all the way down . . .
Admiring Trump is different from voting for him, or working with him. Politics is calculation; “to live,” Whittaker Chambers told Buckley, who quoted it ever after, “is to maneuver.” But to admire Trump is to trade your principles for his, which are that winning — which means Trump winning — is all.
In three years (maybe seven), Donald Trump will no longer be president. But conservatives who bent the knee will still be writing and thinking. How will it be possible to take them seriously?
The short answer is, it won’t. But that is not an answer that Bill would give. Minds change, hearts change. That’s why he spent so much time arguing, with foes and friends alike. It will take a lot of arguing to rebuild a conservative movement that one can contemplate without scorn.
-------------------------
Good for you Ace; someone who reflects before yapping!!!

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #79 on: July 16, 2020, 07:52:57 pm »
----------------------
Catfish, uninterested in engaging in a urinary contest; so pontificate about whatever you choose.
* I meant hobby horse, as ideas give you agita, so your notions remain chronic.
* The existence of those who preceded us was vibrant because their vision was broad; yet we assert
   greatness, yet are virtually soulless because our vision is as constricted as a telephone booth.
* While recalling Buckley, I personalty knew Russell Kirk, a visionary in the mold of Burke who
   reminded us that economics and politics came long after principled conservatism by thousands of
   years. Most obviously, Conservatism is hardly an adoption agency for the assorted isms and
   institutions concocted by Man down thru history.
Nothing further.

Rather than arguing your view or alluding to me as a souless, hardline captialistic, hard hearted fiscal conservative, I'll just leave it as your idealism has overwhelmed your character in true fashion. Honestly, 3 posts later, I have no idea what you stand for.   

In any case, I have no problem just  agreeing to disagree.  It's the TBR way.... 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #80 on: July 16, 2020, 10:06:25 pm »
I would like to see that as well, but after the continual beating and berating that Trump has received from the media and the leftists, I don't know that he will.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I personally like this
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online libertybele

« Reply #81 on: July 16, 2020, 10:20:28 pm »

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I personally like this

I find it encouraging that Ted has the #1 podcast in the country.  I should take the time to listen in.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #82 on: July 16, 2020, 10:36:23 pm »
I find it encouraging that Ted has the #1 podcast in the country.  I should take the time to listen in.

Does You Tube Subscriptions add to his standing?  Want to make sure Ted gets his due. 

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #83 on: July 16, 2020, 10:51:54 pm »
You are correct, sir.

@DB

As long as the dollar is the world currency there are no worries. Because of the economic crises worldwide there aren't enough dollars to go around.

The SHTF witH GWB and his globalist bullshit.

Back then, when 9/11 hit, I thought that would be a wake up call.

Didn't happen.

If you don't like the shit we are in now, it should hve ended on 2001 into 2002.

That this country is STILL running at all should give you a clue.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #84 on: July 16, 2020, 11:41:53 pm »
I had this unsupported hope that Trump would be the President who finally embraced this and began showing a pair by eliminating deficit spending on his own.  But Trump's ironclad marriage to the Establishment prevents it.

LOL! He's the bankruptcy king... You're kidding, right?

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #85 on: July 16, 2020, 11:43:30 pm »
He can also use a veto pen if a) he thinks Congress has gone into drunken-sailor mode and b) he has the cojones to wield it, then tell Congress, "Lucy, you got some splainin' to do."

Unless, of course, a particular president is more than a bit of a drunken sailor himself.

Maybe I shouldn't use that comparison. At least drunken sailors spend their own money.

He is spending more money than all the drunken sailors (ever) combined... and still people rest their hope in him... It is without logic or sense.

Offline DB

« Reply #86 on: July 16, 2020, 11:46:42 pm »

In the 90's he was the leverage king. Mountains of debt was his MO and he was proud about it. I knew people that used him as an example of why debt was good and how one goes about building business leveraging everything in sight...

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #87 on: July 16, 2020, 11:46:59 pm »
:beer:

That is why I didn't respond.  I am a connoisseur and recognize easily  well crafted snarky sarcastic satire.   

Calling me a silly Boomer sealed it, and I will say....  was a nice touch.

LOL! @FeelNoPain 's particular satire is deep. He reels you into it.
I'm a kinasewer too.
 :yowsa:

Offline DB

« Reply #88 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:03 pm »
He is spending more money than all the drunken sailors (ever) combined... and still people rest their hope in him... It is without logic or sense.

It is the same faith that a cloth mask will protect you from a virus.

Online Hoodat

« Reply #89 on: July 16, 2020, 11:48:03 pm »

OK, I really didn't have hope.  But it would haye been something to dream about.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #90 on: July 16, 2020, 11:49:02 pm »
In the 90's he was the leverage king. Mountains of debt was his MO and he was proud about it. I knew people that used him as an example of why debt was good and how one goes about building business leveraging everything in sight...

That's right... I am suspicious that he is the progenitor of 'too big to fail' theory.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #91 on: July 16, 2020, 11:50:46 pm »
It is the same faith that a cloth mask will protect you from a virus.

Yeah right... Magic joojoo. And nothing more.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #92 on: July 16, 2020, 11:52:28 pm »
OK, I really didn't have hope.  But it would haye been something to dream about.

Dreams are for princesses awaiting a knight in shining armor.

Not for poor bastards like you and me. Now stfu and keep shoveling.  :laugh: :beer:

Online corbe

« Reply #93 on: July 17, 2020, 12:06:09 am »
   I too have been snagged by @FeelNoPain dripping sarcasm and wit.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #94 on: July 17, 2020, 12:55:07 am »
   I too have been snagged by @FeelNoPain dripping sarcasm and wit.

@corbe  @catfish1957  @roamer_1

Thank you. Y'all give me too much credit.  :beer:
I'm just here to learn from y'all.
"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021

Online bigheadfred

• One day Closer
« Reply #95 on: July 17, 2020, 01:01:22 am »
@corbe  @catfish1957  @roamer_1

Thank you. Y'all give me too much credit.  :beer:
I'm just here to learn from y'all.

It is the Conservative way. Too much credit...  :police:  :whistle:
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #96 on: July 17, 2020, 01:25:00 am »
-------------------------
Good for you Ace; someone who reflects before yapping!!!
@Absalom
I confess to a particular flaw among many: I'm not as smart as many of the people who schpritz in online forums. I have to think before I write.  wink777

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #97 on: July 17, 2020, 01:26:32 am »
Nowadays this trait runs rampant, where governemt entitlement has rapidly degraded into the rule, rather than the excpetion.  When the national debt eliminates the "gubmit's" ability to pay off these grifters?  Really get ready to watch the fireworks fly.
"Nowadays," he says.

I give you this from 1978:

Today's conservative has reached into his heart of hearts, prayed hard, and decided it was high time the government cut his neighbour's benefits.---George F. Will.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
« Reply #98 on: July 17, 2020, 05:14:39 am »
"Nowadays," he says.

I give you this from 1978:

Today's conservative has reached into his heart of hearts, prayed hard, and decided it was high time the government cut his neighbour's benefits.---George F. Will.

If Will wasn't a baseball fan, you'd be calling him a hack.

You equating the level of entitlement from 1978 to now, is folly at its best.  Maybe you slept through that era, or was eating too much  gubmit cheese.  :cool:

Offline FeelNoPain

• Could have ended QAnon with a tweet.
« Reply #99 on: July 17, 2020, 05:28:36 am »
Oh, for cripes' sake @FeelNoPain buy a vowel.  Donald Trump IS the credible, mobilized, principled opposition to the left.

Why the hell do you think the left spends 24/7 focused on destroying --- not beating --- but DESTROYING --- the President AND his supporters?

Let me know if you need help connecting the dots.

@Right_in_Virginia

Since you asked, I do miss your comparisons of Obama's inept response to the H1N1 and Trump's stellar response to Covid-19.

Unlike President Donald J. Trump, Obama didn't even have the decency to tell us what great TV ratings he was getting during press conferences for his pandemic. **nononono*

Trump providing this level of information, this attention to detail, this "connecting of the dots," as it were, was so greatly appreciated up here in the Philly suburbs.

"I’d like to begin by addressing the heinous attack on the United States Capitol. Like all Americans I am outraged by the violence, lawlessness and mayhem...

To demonstrators who infiltrated the Capitol: you have defiled the seat of American democracy. To those who engage in the acts of violence and destruction: you do not represent our country. And to those who broke the law: you will pay." - President Donald J. Trump, January 7th, 2021