Author Topic: Hanging New Engines On 60-Year-Old B-52 Bombers Will Raise Some Serious Risks  (Read 303 times)

rangerrebew

Hanging New Engines On 60-Year-Old B-52 Bombers Will Raise Some Serious Risks
Loren Thompson

The U.S. Air Force wants to continue operating the venerable B-52 bomber through 2050. As I have written recently, that would make it the longest continuously operating jet in history.

In order to accomplish this, Air Force leaders plan to make major upgrades to the 76 B-52H bombers in their fleet, including the installation of new engines.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/07/13/hanging-new-engines-on-60-year-old-b-52-bombers-is-not-easy-here-are-some-risks/#2ed0dea29219

Today’s commercial turbofans are so much more advanced than the TF33 engines currently powering the bombers—there are eight on each plane—that the Air Force believes it can get a 30% gain in fuel efficiency and (given less weight) a 40% gain in range.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
the Air Force believes it can get a 30% gain in fuel efficiency and (given less weight) a 40% gain in range.

@rangerrebew

YIKES! That's HUGE in terms of both cost and flexibility. Being able to fly to distant targets without having to refuel is a big bonus.

Ever seen and heard/felt a flight of these things take off?

I was screwing around at Kadena AFB on Okinawa one day doing something something forgotten around 1967,and happened to see a flight of them taking off heavily laden with bombs for a bombing mission in VN.

We are talking about sound so loud you can FEEL it beating against you as you stand along the runway fence. CRAZY sound. Never seen or heard anything like that before or since.

Then the damn things start slowly rolling off the line to gain speed for take-off,and damned if the wings didn't "flap" almost like a bird's wings as they rolled down the strip. Completely freaked me out that something that long and heavy,with THAT much torque applied to them could move that far up and down and not just break off. In my "minds-eye" I could see rivets popping off like machine gun bullets. You have to see something like that for yourself in order to believe it,and even then you are in awe of the forces being applied and controlled. The engineers that designed and oversaw the construction of those things were some damn smart critters!

Especially when you consider that some of the B-52's flying today are older than the pilots flying them.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 12:43:20 pm by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline PeteS in CA

The civilian version of the TF33, the JT3D, was used on Boeing 707s and Douglas DC-8s. The military is the biggest operator of the engine nowadays. Besides fuel economy and extended range, maintaining the old engines can be difficult when it comes to parts and expertise availability.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
 999beer

And getting out of bed in the morning entails risks.  ZZZZZZZ!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien