Author Topic: AOC suggests NYC crime surge due to unemployment, residents who need to 'shoplift some bread'  (Read 430 times)

rangerrebew

AOC suggests NYC crime surge due to unemployment, residents who need to 'shoplift some bread'
The New York Democrat insisted that the uptick in crime is unrelated to the new NYPD budget cuts
By Yael Halon | Fox News

New York Rep. Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez suggested over the weekend that the crime surge in New York City is likely because struggling residents are forced to shoplift in order to "feed their child."

In a virtual town hall meeting she hosted Thursday, some clips of which were shared by The Hill, the 30-year-old Democratic congresswoman was asked about the troubling uptick in violent crimes overtaking the city.

“Do we think this has to do with the fact that there’s record unemployment in the United States right now?" she responded. "The fact that people are at a level of economic desperation that we have not seen since the Great Recession?"

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/alexandria-ocasio-cortez-nyc-crime-shoplifting

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just when you think she can't get any more stupid...
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Just when you think she can't get any more stupid...

Yeah, no need to ask, she really is that stupid, and probably even more so.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline LottieDah

Can someone send her to Oz so she can see the Wizard for a brain?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Can someone send her to Oz so she can see the Wizard for a brain?
Oh, Hell no! She's dangerous enough just being stupid. If she had a brain, she'd be real trouble.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Bonus points if Ms. Ocasio-Cortez can identify which party imposed the policies that mandated all that unemployment.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Applewood

Sad thing is this woman has enough supporters who believe in and agree with her.  She is the face of the present day Democrat Party.  The old timers in the party will fall in line behind her and her fellow radicals because if they don't, they will lose their jobs.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline Slide Rule

Hey AOC.

Invite these ladies and gentlemen to your home and make them breakfast, lunch and dinner.
Invite them to stay overnight, as it is dangerous on the streets. Ya know. As long as they like.

You excuse making hag.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline andy58-in-nh

I suspect the little ditz from Brooklyn saw Les Miserables one too many times. 

NYC's looters were not exactly taking after Jean Valjean and stealing a loaf of bread to feed their starving families.

For one thing, most of them don't live with their kids, even if they have them, and for another: it's hard to derive nutrition from iPhones and flat-screen TVs.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I will know "Karma" is a valid philosphical element when the thuggery seriously hurts this wench or her property.

And BTW....  I am rooting for Karma. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online GrouchoTex

"Maybe this has to do with the fact that people aren't paying their rent and are scared to pay their rent and so they go out, and they need to feed their child and they don't have money," Ocasio-Cortez continued, "so they feel like they either need to shoplift some bread or go hungry.”

(1) If they have rent money that they are "scared" to pay, then they have money for bread, and won't need to shoplift.
(2) The bullets they are using to kill one another cost more than food, unless they are stealing them as well.
(3) The Nike store they are looting has no food in it.
(4) The 1 year old child killed by gunfire in NYC couldn't be reached for comment.