Author Topic: UPDATED: 21 Taken to Hospitals as Firefighting Effort Continues in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire  (Read 1899 times)

rangerrebew

UPDATED: 21 Taken to Hospitals as Firefighting Effort Continues in USS Bonhomme Richard Fire
By: Gidget Fuentes and Sam LaGrone
July 12, 2020 2:35 PM • Updated: July 12, 2020 10:25 PM

USS Bonhomme RIchard (LHD-6) on July 12, 2020 as a fire rages aboard. Image via CBS 8

SAN DIEGO, Calif. – A fire that broke out Sunday morning in amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) sent 17 sailors and four civilian workers to local hospitals, Naval Surface Force Pacific officials said.

Billowing clouds of white and black smoke poured into the clear, blue sky throughout the morning as local and federal fire and rescue crews responded to the multiple-alarm fire aboard the gray hull, berthed at Pier 2 at Naval Base San Diego. By late afternoon, fire boats continued to pour water onto the ship at Naval Base San Diego in a futile effort to stem the smoke and quash the fires still burning on the 844-foot-long ship, which was going through a maintenance period.

“Seventeen sailors and four civilians are being treated for non-life threatening injuries at a local hospital,” Mike Raney, a SURFPAC spokesman, said in an afternoon statement that updated a previous report of 18 injured sailors. “All inport ships have been contacted and directed to provide fire parties to possibly assist with firefighting efforts.” All personnel were accounted for, officials reported.

https://news.usni.org/2020/07/12/breaking-sailors-injured-explosions-reported-in-uss-bonhomme-richard-fire

Offline AL

A fire on a ship is a scary thing, been through one that and that was enough.  Good that so far, just minor injuries.  With just 160 officers and men aboard my guess is that the rest of the crew was quartered in barracks or on leave which would made the ships fire fighting teams very short handed.  All sailors are trained in firefighting and damage control at boot camp, or used to be, who knows, that training may have been replaced with sensitivity training.

rangerrebew

Massive Fire Aboard USS Bonhomme Richard In San Diego. Superstructure Collapses, Ship Listing. May Be Lost.
July 13, 2020 Tom Demerly

Photos shared on social media on both Sunday Jul 12 and early Monday morning Jul. 13 showed the fire spreading to the superstructure. (Photo: US Naval Institute and via Twitter from Matt Haskell)

Fire in San Diego burns through night sends 21 to hospital.

Fire erupted aboard the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) on Sunday morning, July 12, 2020, as the ship lay moored at Naval Base San Diego. There are reports of 21 injured, including 17 sailors and 4 civilians. The 21 injuries were reported as non-life threatening and all victims are in stable condition at area hospitals. No cause of the fire has been determined as the blaze continues.

Reports early Monday morning suggested the ship may not be salvaged as the fire spreads to the ship’s superstructure and helicopters began making water drops on the fire.

The fire aboard the Bonhomme Richard began before 8:50 AM Sunday morning local time in San Diego between Coronado Island and the city of San Diego near the Coronado Bay Bridge. The first report of fire reached authorities at 8:50 AM. Fire boats could be seen battling the blaze as massive smoke plumes spread over the city. Some witnesses did report an explosion before the fire began, although the U.S. Navy told media there was no explosion on board the ship and the noise was caused by a “change in air pressure”.

https://theaviationist.com/2020/07/13/massive-fire-aboard-uss-bonhomme-richard-in-san-diego-superstructure-collapses-ship-listing-may-be-lost/

Offline PeteS in CA

This is a more recent article, https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2020/07/13/navy-calls-in-firefighting-helicopters-as-bonhomme-richard-continues-to-burn/

Navy Calls in Firefighting Helicopters as Bonhomme Richard Continues to Burn
POSTED BY CHRIS JENNEWEIN ON JULY 13, 2020
Naval helicopters flew several water-dropping sorties Monday as a fire continued to rage aboard the USS Bonhomme Richard at Naval Base San Diego.

The two helicopters were from Helicopter Sea Combat Squadron Three, according to the official Twitter account of Naval Surface Forces, U.S. Pacific Fleet.

Officials updated the number of injured early Monday, saying 34 sailors and 23 civilians had suffered mostly minor injuries. Five people remained hospitalized and are displaying stable vital signs.

Most of the injured were treated for heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation, according to Navy officials.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Hoodat

This is a more recent article, https://timesofsandiego.com/military/2020/07/13/navy-calls-in-firefighting-helicopters-as-bonhomme-richard-continues-to-burn/

Navy Calls in Firefighting Helicopters as Bonhomme Richard Continues to Burn
POSTED BY CHRIS JENNEWEIN ON JULY 13, 2020

Fire is the greatest threat aboard any ship.  Any idea what caused it, and why it wasn't contained?  Hate to be the captain of that boat.  His naval career could be at an end.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline AL

Wonder if she's worth saving now.  Must be a lot of damage deep inside the ship.  Maybe tow her out to deep water and let the fly boys have some fun.  Sad to loose a namesake ship though, well maybe its time for a new Bonhomme Richard.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Fire is the greatest threat aboard any ship.  Any idea what caused it, and why it wasn't contained?  Hate to be the captain of that boat.  His naval career could be at an end.

As as retired Safety and Environmental Manager, I got to say it.  This just doesn't sound right.  Equpment, loss of life potential and hardware of this value and cost, would (or should) have fire supressives in place, many with high tech with thermal sensors.  Plus redundant systems functioning as fail-safes. 

Can you imagine if this would have happened in the middle of the Pacific.  I am guessing either (1) Maintenance of fire supression system failure, or bypass.  Maybe a LOTO issue, maybe  (2) Sabotage

I just hope the damage is not so extenisve that it prevents a decent root cause review.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Hoodat

As as retired Safety and Environmental Manager, I got to say it.  This just doesn't sound right.  Equpment, loss of life potential and hardware of this value and cost, would (or should) have fire supressives in place, many with high tech with thermal sensors.  Plus redundant systems functioning as fail-safes. 

Can you imagine if this would have happened in the middle of the Pacific.  I am guessing either (1) Maintenance of fire supression system failure, or bypass.  Maybe a LOTO issue, maybe  (2) Sabotage

I just hope the damage is not so extenisve that it prevents a decent root cause review.

Do you know which DCS and SIS manufacturer the Navy uses? I'm guessing Honeywell.

Suppression system failure is doubtful.  That should be checked monthly.  A Bypass/LOTO issue?  More likely.  And sabotage should never be ruled out.  This definitely isn't some accidental fuel leak.  Like you said, a suppression system would have taken care of something like that.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline LegalAmerican

SABOTAGE.     :yowsa:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
To start out with,I want to make it plain that I have never been a sailor,and never even played one on tv.

Howsomeever,this seems VERY suspicious to me. The sailors I am related to or have talked to say the Navy is nuts for fire drills,and practice them all the time.

And this was a modern ship tied up in port with very few of the electrical outlets being used because she was idle.

I also happen to know that another thing the Navy is nuts about are fire patrols with regular schedules,regardless of if the ship is at sea or tied up in port.

I smell sabatoge.

Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

To start out with,I want to make it plain that I have never been a sailor,and never even played one on tv.

Howsomeever,this seems VERY suspicious to me. The sailors I am related to or have talked to say the Navy is nuts for fire drills,and practice them all the time.

And this was a modern ship tied up in port with very few of the electrical outlets being used because she was idle.

I also happen to know that another thing the Navy is nuts about are fire patrols with regular schedules,regardless of if the ship is at sea or tied up in port.

I smell sabatoge.

:thumbsup:

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

I smell sabatoge.
Sabotage had crossed my mind as well.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Probably beyond hope of any repair.
This one's goin' to the scrapyard.
She'll never sail again.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

I smell sabatoge.

As far as I'm concerned, that is the only possible explanation. And it was done by someone with knowledge of the passive systems that would have shut it down automatically.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Video/Pics: US Navy ship still on fire after 23+ hours – 57 injured

American Military News  by  Ryan Morgan  July 13, 2020

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/07/video-pics-us-navy-ship-still-on-fire-after-23-hours-21-hospitalized/

Firefighters on Monday continued their efforts to put out a fire that has been burning since Sunday onboard the USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD-6) amphibious assault ship.

The fire began around 8:30 a.m. PST Sunday after an explosion was reported on the Wasp-class amphibious assault ship docked at Naval Base San Diego. Initial reports indicated 18 personnel were hospitalized with minor injuries and around 160 personnel in total were evacuated from the ship, but by Monday morning, the number of injured increased to 57.

“As of 06:30 a.m. Pacific time, firefighting teams continue operations on board USS Bonhomme Richard (LHD 6), 57 personnel, 34 @USNavy Sailors and 23 civilians, have been treated for minor injuries including heat exhaustion and smoke inhalation,” said an update by the Naval Surface Forces. “5 remain hospitalized for observation,” the update added.

In a statement released Sunday night, the Chief of Naval Operations Adm. Mike Gilday said, “We are grateful for the quick and immediate response of local, base, and shipboard firefighters aboard USS Bonhomme Richard. Our thoughts and prayers are with our BHR Sailors, their families, and our emergency responders who continue to fight the fire. Godspeed,” Gilday’s statement read.

An early Monday morning from defense commentator Andy Netherwood showed crews still battling the blaze. “Wasp-class amphibious assault ship USS Bonhomme Richard still on fire this morning. Hard to imagine her ever sailing again,” he tweeted with the video.

More at link.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Video/Pics: US Navy ship still on fire after 23+ hours – 57 injured

American Military News  by  Ryan Morgan  July 13, 2020

https://americanmilitarynews.com/2020/07/video-pics-us-navy-ship-still-on-fire-after-23-hours-21-hospitalized/

Explosion?  Now I am really getting suspcious.  Needs some help from sailors, but I am guessing higher  flash point fuels like diesel, power these ship engines and generators.  Unless there is a BLEVE, and under pressure, which I seriously doubt due to type of storage for diesel.  Is there anything gasoline powered on it?  Unless there is gasoline, or some other lower Carbon numbered storage, things just don't seem to add up.   Iginition with diesel and other High Carbon numbered fuel oils, typically "woosh" upon ignition.  Not boom, like a explosion. 

Need some good old fashion sailor expertise to help us figure this out
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The Bonhomme Richard fire deals a blow to the Navy’s designs in the Indo-Pacific

Defense News 7/13/2020

https://www.defensenews.com/naval/2020/07/13/the-bonhomme-richard-fire-deals-a-blow-to-the-navys-designs-in-the-indo-pacific/

The amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard, which burned through the night while in port in San Diego, was at the tail end of two years of upgrades supporting the integration of the F-35B, according to Navy documents, meaning the Navy will now have fewer options to deploy the next-generation fighter in the Pacific.

The Navy awarded the $219 million modernization contract to General Dynamics, National Steel and Shipbuilding Co. in 2018, which had options for up to $250 million. Bonhomme Richard is one of four large-deck amphibs to have received the upgrades. The Boxer was announced earlier this year as the fifth big-deck to get the upgrades.

Experts said the loss of Bonhomme Richard, whether a total loss or just lost for extensive repairs, deals a significant blow to the Navy’s plans to have F-35Bs continually deployed in the Pacific. And with Monday’s announcement that the US had formally rejected China’s claims, any accompanying boost in naval presence could be impacted by the fire.

The Navy’s deployment model is based on having permanent forward presence in vital regions like the Indo-Pacific and the Middle East. To accomplish that, the Navy needs enough ships to support one forward on deployment, one in an elevated status of readiness to surge in an emergency, one in maintenance and one in pre-deployment workups.

In other words, in an ideal world the Navy would have at least four ships to have one of them always on deployment, and with longer overhauls such as the F-35B upgrades it can be more like five ships to make one forward.

More at link.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
The exact cause of the fire is unclear, but Sobeck said the ship experienced an internal explosion earlier Sunday. Sobeck also said it appears the fire originated in the “Deep V” — or the lower cargo hold — of the ship.

“That’s where we believe it was started,” Sobeck said.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Firefighters battle to keep Bonhomme Richard’s flames away from fuel

Navy Times

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-navy/2020/07/13/firefighters-battle-to-keep-bonhomme-richards-flames-away-from-fuel/

As a raging fire continued to decimate the amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard in its San Diego port Monday for a second day, the commanding officer of Expeditionary Strike Group 3 told reporters that keeping the flames from the 1 million gallons of fuel onboard while preventing listing were the priorities

And while Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck said he remained hopeful that the amphib would get underway again, the damage he described, as well as photos and videos of the inferno, painted a grim future for the ship.

“The superstructure and the upper decks continue to burn and have sustained damage,” Sobeck said at 11 a.m. local time. “The forward mast has collapsed, and the ship is listing. However, dewatering is in process and we’re keeping a good balance.”

Sobeck said they estimate there are roughly two well decks between fuel and the fire, which has been measured as high as 1,000 degrees in spots.

“Estimates are right now that we’ve got at least two decks between the heat source” and the fuel, he said.

Cooling agents are being circulated around the ship in the water to keep temperatures down, Sobeck said.

---

As part of that maintenance, Sobeck said the Halon fire suppression system had been turned off.

“Halon, the system itself, was not operational because it was being worked on in the shipyard,” Sobeck said.

Maintenance often involves big coils of cable snaking throughout the ship, which may have made it harder to seal hatches and isolate the fire.

More at link.

Offline Axeslinger

I smell sabatoge.
@sneakypete

Ok time for this former sailor to weigh in.

I will be astonished if this is anything but an accident. 
When in the shipyards for a refit (my ship was twice during my tenure), the crew typically stays ashore.  The only time we would be aboard would be during the workday, which typically was in shifts throughout the day. There was always a quarterdeck (the place you come aboard) watch and typically some sounding and security watches.  But all the S&S watch does is walk a pattern from sounding tube to sounding tube.  These are tubes that go from typically main deck down to void areas of the ship.  You drop a weighted tape measure down the tube once per hour and ensure that those voids aren’t flooding.  As I recall there were no fire drills etc. in port.  The shipyard workers all had appropriate level security clearances and on a ship like the BHR likely could have gone just about anywhere aboard her.  I would not be surprised if the fire suppression system was part of the F35 upgrades and may have been disabled.

I suspect a shipyard accident and nothing but.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:47:24 am by Axeslinger »
"The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first." - Thomas Jefferson

Online catfish1957

• Political Researcher
@sneakypete

When in the shipyards for a refit (my ship was twice during my tenure), the crew typically stays ashore.  The only time we would be aboard would be during the workday, which typically was in shifts throughout the day. There was always a quarterdeck (the place you board) watch and typically some sounding and security watches.  But all the S&S watch does is walk a pattern and from sounding to sounding tube.  These are tubes the go from typically main deck down to void areas of the ship.  You drop a weighted tape measure down the tube once per hour and ensure that those voids aren’t flooding.  As I recall there were no fire drills etc.  The shipyard workers all had appropriate level security clearances and on a ship like the BHR likely could have gone just about anywhere aboard her.  I would not be surprised if the fire suppression system was part of the F35 upgrades and may have been disabled

@Axeslinger

Thanks for the sailor's prespective.  Ax, if you read my last post, the one point that still perplexes me is that there was an explosion reported.  Would a ship like that be storing anything that would trigger one.  Because I wouldn't expect that with ignition of diesel or fuel oil.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
@Axeslinger

Thanks for the sailor's prespective.  Ax, if you read my last post, the one point that still perplexes me is that there was an explosion reported.  Would a ship like that be storing anything that would trigger one.  Because I wouldn't expect that with ignition of diesel or fuel oil.

It sounds to me that the ship may carry a whole variety of fuels.   And to support the pilots, it wouldn't surprise me if they also carried liquid oxygen.  And there would also be  oxy-acetylene rigs.

The primary mission of Bonhomme Richard is to embark, deploy and land elements of a Marine landing force in amphibious assault operations by helicopter, landing craft and amphibious vehicle, and if needed, to act as a light aircraft carrier.

Wasp class Marine assault ships carry VTOL (Harriers and F-35Bs) fighters along with helicopters and V-22s.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

When in the shipyards for a refit (my ship was twice during my tenure), the crew typically stays ashore.  The only time we would be aboard would be during the workday, which typically was in shifts throughout the day. There was always a quarterdeck (the place you board) watch and typically some sounding and security watches.  But all the S&S watch does is walk a pattern and from sounding to sounding tube.  These are tubes the go from typically main deck down to void areas of the ship.  You drop a weighted tape measure down the tube once per hour and ensure that those voids aren’t flooding.  As I recall there were no fire drills etc.  The shipyard workers all had appropriate level security clearances and on a ship like the BHR likely could have gone just about anywhere aboard her.  I would not be surprised if the fire suppression system was part of the F35 upgrades and may have been disabled

@Axeslinger

I thank you for clearing that up,but for the life of me I can't understand how anyone as anal as a typical Naval Officer could NOT have port watches roaming around the shop.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline skeeter

Well I hope the navy is taking advantage of the situation to get some practical experience in damage control they couldn’t otherwise get, at least.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It sounds to me that the ship may carry a whole variety of fuels.   And to support the pilots, it wouldn't surprise me if they also carried liquid oxygen.  And there would also be  oxy-acetylene rigs.
Knock over/drop an acetylene tank and damage the sponge, and a bubble could cause an explosion.

Also, some fuels (gasoline, especially) vapors will accumulate in low areas of a hull, and one spark can blow. 'Small' craft used to have purging fans in their bilges to run while fueling (ventilators would do the job under way).
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 02:17:45 am by Smokin Joe »
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis