Author Topic: Vermont mandates composting, bans food scraps from trash  (Read 599 times)

Online libertybele

Vermont mandates composting, bans food scraps from trash
« on: July 09, 2020, 07:09:08 pm »
Vermont mandates composting, bans food scraps from trash

Vermont has officially mandated composting throughout the state, banning residents from tossing unwanted food scraps in the trash.

In a new law effective July 1, Vermonters are asked to save leftovers like peels, rinds, cores, eggshells, coffee grounds and tea bags from the garbage, plus unfinished “plate scraps” like bread, meat, veggies, fruit, dairy, sweets, sauces and food that’s gone bad. From there, people are instructed to compost the scraps, coordinate a curbside pick-up or drop them off at a composting site.

The Takeout reports that the Green Mountain State has budgeted nearly $1 million to expand the pick-up and drop-off services in the composting crusade. The effort is aimed at reducing 50 percent of the food waste that would have otherwise ended up in landfills.............

https://www.foxnews.com/food-drink/vermont-mandates-composting-trash-food
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Re: Vermont mandates composting, bans food scraps from trash
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2020, 08:30:57 pm »
Easy solution: buy a trash compactor.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2020, 08:39:34 pm »
I eagerly support Vermont's right to formulate its own laws.  If they want to ban food scraps from their trash, then by all means they should be able to do this.  However, as a resident of another State, I do not want Vermont law forced upon me against the wishes of the citizens of my own State, like they did with Vermont marriage laws.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online libertybele

« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2020, 08:43:24 pm »
Well, everyone in my county has been issued a "recyle bin" which we are supposed to put everything recycleable into that bin -- at first it came across as a mandate -- well -- you'd be surprised what people feel can be recycled; batteries, old computers, paint,-- it has turned out to be more of a headache for the city than not...they should have left well enough alone.  I place large pieces of cardboard and some empty milk and water jugs in there because they take up too much room in the regular garbage -- everything else though gets pitched into the garbage.  Most of our food scraps go to Geronimo, the rest mainly goes down the garbage disposal.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2020, 10:16:38 pm »
I am certainly *FOR* composting... A marvel and miracle to me. Certainly we compost... Whatever doesn't go through the chickens goes in the manure pile... as does the chicken manure too in it's time.

But mandating? And then what? What do people do with the pile without a garden, fruit trees, or a field to spread it on? I am truly curious.

My own composting here at the cabin, yard and kitchen waste mainly, produces roughly half a yard of compost in about 6 months... Roughly a pickup load a year... where does that go?

Oh, and btw get ready for a booming skunk and racoon population. Guaranteed.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2020, 02:25:15 am »
Meat scraps in the compost bin?  :shrug:  I put only vegetable matter and coffee grounds in mine.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2020, 02:31:10 am »
Liberals have always had a severe disconnect between 'passing' a law and 'enforcing' the law.
Who is the lucky guy who gets to crawl through people's garbage looking for scraps?
Yea! I want that job.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Hoodat

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2020, 02:34:56 am »
Meat scraps in the compost bin?  :shrug:  I put only vegetable matter and coffee grounds in mine.

Egg shells are good for preventing blossom rot on tomatoes.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Online roamer_1

« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2020, 02:44:02 am »

I put everything in mine... including animals... chickens and such that perish in the yard. It's all just dirt, soon enough...  But then it's also bulletproof fenced against critters and bears particularly, so...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #9 on: July 10, 2020, 07:36:20 am »
Egg shells are good for preventing blossom rot on tomatoes.
Yes, I do put eggshells in the compost, too.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2020, 02:32:52 pm »
Oh, and btw get ready for a booming skunk and racoon population. Guaranteed.

No, i lived in Boston for 10 years. Try rats, and nothing but rats.

Online roamer_1

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2020, 02:35:51 pm »
No, i lived in Boston for 10 years. Try rats, and nothing but rats.

:shrug: At least the terriers will have some fun.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2020, 02:59:47 pm »
Some things just don't compost well.  Pineapple peelings, orange peelings and scraps, Avacado pits and peels.  This just a couple examples of many.

In fact, put too much citrus in your compost, and you'll acidfy the mix so badly, it will kill the bio-mass.

Stupid State.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mortarman

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2020, 03:01:00 pm »
These "one size fit all" laws tend to be made without any thought as how to enforce or if the law is enforceable. It's feel good legislation at best that causes more problems than solves. Butt hey, it's not as if the Left-wing Fascist Agenda ever feels that they have to live with the consequences of their actions.

:pop41:
The only controls I want on my guns are the ones that I operate myself such as trigger, bolt or slide, safety selector, magazine release an' optics. All others are unnecessary an' unwanted.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2020, 03:07:03 pm »
These "one size fit all" laws tend to be made without any thought as how to enforce or if the law is enforceable. It's feel good legislation at best that causes more problems than solves. Butt hey, it's not as if the Left-wing Fascist Agenda ever feels that they have to live with the consequences of their actions.

:pop41:

Yep, crap like this is an eniviro-whacko's dream com true.   In fact, the SB commerical from about 10 years ago, is now more fact than fiction.

LOL...compost infraction.

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.