Author Topic: Surgeon general urges widespread mask use: 'It is not a suppression of your freedom'  (Read 10634 times)

Offline Victoria33

Actually, there are plenty that exceed N95. N95 is a standard. A goofy ass standard depicting a particular particulate filtering capacity. All it's there for is to make the mask 'medical' and worth 5x the money that many REAL masks used in poor environments meet or exceed. 3Ms vaunted N95 is a direct knock-off of their light-duty construction respirator - the only difference being the color and the 'N95' logo.

Bovine Scatology over and over.
None of the masks you promote keep out viruses.  Medical people know this - hospitals do not allow doctors/nurses to use industrial type masks. They keep large particles from getting to you but not viruses.  Now, you are going to yell and make a post to me as you have before about this.  You know a lot of things, bunches about computers, and tools, and trucks, but you don't know medicine.  You know we are friends to the end and we decided not to get married.   wink777

Offline roamer_1

Bovine Scatology over and over.
None of the masks you promote keep out viruses.  Medical people know this - hospitals do not allow doctors/nurses to use industrial type masks. They keep large particles from getting to you but not viruses.  Now, you are going to yell and make a post to me as you have before about this.  You know a lot of things, bunches about computers, and tools, and trucks, but you don't know medicine.  You know we are friends to the end and we decided not to get married.   wink777

Trump signed a specific executive order early on ALLOWING 3m to distribute their industrial counterpart as a medical mask, because other than the n95 logo it's the same damn mask. That immediately released several million more masks into medical use, a move that gained my applause.

Look it up.

The N95 mark only denotes a standard - one that many masks meet or exceed. ALL masks are measured by particulate filtering. That's all they do. And an N95 respirator is in no way superior to a common paint respirator with the proper filters. In fact, a common paint respirator can vastly exceed an N95 standard with specialized filters designed to keep out volatile vapors.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I also didn't say, but it is true, it is hard to breathe a long time with an N95 on because it fits so securely, and in this Texas heat of 100 degrees, it is double hard to breathe, and  sweat pours off my face.

There's a reason for that:  A N95 mask will start clogging the moment you walk out into the filthy street air.  They aren't meant to be used outside of a clean-room environment.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline DB

There's a reason for that:  A N95 mask will start clogging the moment you walk out into the filthy street air.  They aren't meant to be used outside of a clean-room environment.

The moisture from breathing also plugs them up and makes them stop working effectively. It discharges the electrostatically charged material used to attract the particulates. An N95 can only be worn once for a limited amount of time before it loses its ability to filter out the very small particles in the air.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The moisture from breathing also plugs them up and makes them stop working effectively. It discharges the electrostatically charged material used to attract the particulates. An N95 can only be worn once for a limited amount of time before it loses its ability to filter out the very small particles in the air.

I assume "N95" means it filters things that are 95 nanometers and larger.  A virus is much smaller than that, and the water droplet the virus piggybacks on evaporates in seconds, leaving the 2-3 na virus the freedom to pass through the chain-link fence.

(For those not familiar, a human hair is about 75 micrometers, or 75,000 nanometers.)
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

More than that, there is an actual pumping action. When you inhale, a wet mask sucks up, forcing to draw through it... but on the exhale, the mask pushes away, allowing the exhaust to largely escape around the edges of the mask. So as far as the mask is concerned, there is greater draw than push, encouraging migration through the wet, body-temperature medium of the mask.

When painting once the mask gets wet, you can literally taste the paint coming through the mask.

As for the n95 (and like) respirators, they were designed to be a cheap, disposable respirator, as an upscale joe-homeowner or now-and-then solution instead of buying a real respirator with filter cartridges designed for industrial use, and with interchangeable filter sets to operate in varying environments, and meant to be cleanable, renewable, repairable, and used all day long, indefinitely.

Everybody acts like they're all that, but they were meant to be a disposable piece of junk that will work for a minute.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Salesman walked into the shop today wearing a cheapo mask. He said here he was wearing a mask yet neither I or the boss were. And he said we should be because of the dust.

I said if the dust starts to bother me I go outside to smoke a cigarette and hack out part of a lung.
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline roamer_1

Salesman walked into the shop today wearing a cheapo mask. He said here he was wearing a mask yet neither I or the boss were. And he said we should be because of the dust.

I said if the dust starts to bother me I go outside to smoke a cigarette and hack out part of a lung.

He don't know what he's missin... digging dried lacquer out of your nose is half the fun (getting lit from the lac being the other half  :whistle::laugh: :beer:

Offline roamer_1

I assume "N95" means it filters things that are 95 nanometers and larger.  A virus is much smaller than that, and the water droplet the virus piggybacks on evaporates in seconds, leaving the 2-3 na virus the freedom to pass through the chain-link fence.

(For those not familiar, a human hair is about 75 micrometers, or 75,000 nanometers.)

And BTW:
No, N means non-oil... P means oil proof, R means oil resistant. The standard for the number is based upon .3 micron particle size... an 80 removes 80%. a 90 removes 90%, a 100 removes 100%

That's not perfect, because a P80 (oil proof, 80% of .3 micron) mated to an organic vapor  charcoal can filter, or any number of other gas filters (ammonia, methyline,etc) is still WAY higher than any particulate filter alone... And your standard paint respirator rig is gong to be p90+ particulate plus a charcoal can. BTW, particulate filters range mainly from 80 to 100. though a 99 or 100 filter sucks to drag through. most folks use a 90 or 95 in general, and an 80 w/o the charcoal can for sanding and such.

FYI

EDIT TO ADD: It's been a while but I think that's right.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 12:36:28 am by roamer_1 »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
And BTW:
No, N means non-oil... P means oil proof, R means oil resistant. The standard for the number is based upon .3 micron particle size... an 80 removes 80%. a 90 removes 90%, a 100 removes 100%

That's not perfect, because a P80 (oil proof, 80% of .3 micron) mated to an organic vapor  charcoal can filter, or any number of other gas filters (ammonia, methyline,etc) is still WAY higher than any particulate filter alone... And your standard paint respirator rig is gong to be p90+ particulate plus a charcoal can. BTW, particulate filters range mainly from 80 to 100. though a 99 or 100 filter sucks to drag through. most folks use a 90 or 95 in general, and an 80 w/o the charcoal can for sanding and such.

FYI

EDIT TO ADD: It's been a while but I think that's right.

Okay!  Thanks for the clarification.  So the benchmark particulate size is 300 nm. 
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

Okay!  Thanks for the clarification.  So the benchmark particulate size is 300 nm.

If that is 0.3 micron then yes.

Offline bigheadfred

• One day Closer
Hmmmm...

“The opposite of courage in our society is not cowardice, it is conformity.” – Earl Nightingale
She asked me name my foe then. I said the need within some men to fight and kill their brothers without thought of Love or God. Ken Hensley

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
I will NOT comply.

Offline DB

The corona virus nominally 120 nm in size...

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
The corona virus nominally 120 nm in size...

Yup!  (I checked.)  I thought it was a lot smaller....
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

AND all that has nothing to do with the N95 LOGO, which magically transforms the mask into a medical device... Except that it meets a non-oil 95% of 0.3 micron standard... Which is no dang different than a P95 or R95 in it's function except their ability to function with oil particulates too.

And it is NOT as good as a N99 or N100, readily available through industry outlets.

Much ado about nothing at all. N95 masks are OK, even good for a temporary, limited amount of time, but they do not stand in the shade of the real thing.

EDITED to correct typo.
« Last Edit: August 11, 2020, 03:42:40 am by roamer_1 »

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@DB

Don't say anything bad about Amazon - that is the way I get what I need; I amble down their streets and go into many of their stores - that is my escape from the sameness of this house.   :beer:

@Victoria33

Reading and streaming TV channels are a big help,too.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Trump signed a specific executive order early on ALLOWING 3m to distribute their industrial counterpart as a medical mask, because other than the n95 logo it's the same damn mask. That immediately released several million more masks into medical use, a move that gained my applause.

Look it up.

The N95 mark only denotes a standard - one that many masks meet or exceed. ALL masks are measured by particulate filtering. That's all they do. And an N95 respirator is in no way superior to a common paint respirator with the proper filters. In fact, a common paint respirator can vastly exceed an N95 standard with specialized filters designed to keep out volatile vapors.

@roamer_1   @Victoria33

Children! CHILDREN!

LISTEN UP!

Chances are both of you are right. I would be surprised if there were only ONE "level" of medical quality mask.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

A chainlink fence for keeping out mosquitos.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan

@roamer_1   @Victoria33

Children! CHILDREN!

LISTEN UP!

Chances are both of you are right. I would be surprised if there were only ONE "level" of medical quality mask.

As has been posted here multiple times already, medical grade N95 masks are designed for use in clean room environments only.  They are useless after ten minutes anywhere else.

But please do carry on.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
AND all that has nothing to do with the N95 LOGO, which magically transforms the mask into a medical device... Except that it meets a non-oil 95% of .03 micron standard... Which is no dang different than a P95 or R95 in it's function except their ability to function with oil particulates too.

And it is NOT as good as a N99 or N100, readily available through industry outlets.

Much ado about nothing at all. N95 masks are OK, even good for a temporary, limited amount of time, but they do not stand in the shade of the real thing.

That's right.  And the cloth ones the leftists fawn all over...more useful as a magical Talisman than a disinfectant.

Sometimes I wear a Trump 2020 cloth mask, just to watch 'em squirm.  It's like tying a slice of jellied toast to the back of a cat...they don't know which way to hit the floor and they just turn back and forth in perpetual motion.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Offline LegalAmerican

I went to see Doctor, after my hospital stay. 5 people berated me...trying to get me to wear a mask.  I said, I can't. I need oxygen.

5 medical people and administrator.  I stayed firm.  Then they "punished me" by NOT taking my vitals. lol. I hate that part anyway.    I had that done every few hours, round the clock, in hospital.  I did, get to see the doctor and some medications renewed.  Blood thinner.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1   @Victoria33

Children! CHILDREN!

LISTEN UP!

No @sneakypete I ain't wrong at all. There is one standard. and it is an industrial standard. the medical 'standard' just piggybacks on what is already there and established... There is an extra mile in that your mask has to conform to their testing protocol - which IS the industry protocol, you just have to prove it, and give somebody a whole lotta vig for the right to use the N95 logo on your product, opening it up to medical sales at 3 or 4x regular price. And that's all... A whole lotta simolians to get into a protected market. TADA!

Otherwise, an industrial rated mask is the same as a medical mask, or even better. The particulate layer on a painting respirator is considered as nothing more than a pre-filter.

Offline roamer_1

That's right.  And the cloth ones the leftists fawn all over...more useful as a magical Talisman than a disinfectant.

Sometimes I wear a Trump 2020 cloth mask, just to watch 'em squirm.  It's like tying a slice of jellied toast to the back of a cat...they don't know which way to hit the floor and they just turn back and forth in perpetual motion.   :shrug:

Yeah, I have one now... Took a sharpie and wrote 'A$$holes make me wear this' on it... And another one that 'Bullock makes me wear this' (governor)... But I never wear the damn things anyhow... If anyone gives me sh*t I just say I have asthma and they move along.

Offline DB

AND all that has nothing to do with the N95 LOGO, which magically transforms the mask into a medical device... Except that it meets a non-oil 95% of .03 micron standard... Which is no dang different than a P95 or R95 in it's function except their ability to function with oil particulates too.

0.03 micron is 30 nm. I think you meant 0.3 micron which is 300 nm which is what I believe an N95 mask is rated for.