Author Topic: Claims Of Aircraft Carrier Vulnerability Are False, But The Versatility Is Real  (Read 239 times)

rangerrebew

Editors' Pick|18,533 views|Jun 9, 2020,11:52am EDT

Claims Of Aircraft Carrier Vulnerability Are False, But The Versatility Is Real
Loren Thompson

Some ideas never go out of fashion, no matter how unfounded they are. One such idea is the belief that America’s large-deck, nuclear-powered aircraft carriers are vulnerable to attack by [insert latest threat here].

We’ve heard this idea over and over again for decades, even though the Chief of Naval Operations opined last year that his carriers are probably less vulnerable today than at any time since World War Two.

The good news is that planners in the Office of the Secretary of Defense have recently begun to back away from the notion that threats to the carrier force are a compelling reason to change the way the Navy is organized.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/lorenthompson/2020/06/09/claims-of-aircraft-carrier-vulnerability-are-false-but-the-versatility-is-real/#6ba7bbd0591a

rangerrebew

I don't know but a carrier that can't get weapons to the planes because it has no weapons elevators seems kind of vulnerable to me.  But what do I know? tri22