Author Topic: Minneapolis mayor Jacob Frey rejects city council's push to defund police, despite veto-proof majori  (Read 813 times)

Offline EdinVA

Mayor Jacob Frey on Sunday reiterated that he doesn't support abolishing the city's police force, hours after a veto-proof majority of members of the Minneapolis City Council said they want to take that drastic step in the wake of the in-custody death of George Floyd.Frey, who ordered a police station to evacuate as rioters burned it to the ground last month, was

shouted down by a large gathering of demonstrators near his home on Saturday when he defied their demands to shutter the city's police forces.
"I'll work relentlessly with Chief [Medaria] Arradondo and alongside community toward deep, structural reform and addressing systemic racism in police culture," Frey said in a statement to KARE. "We're ready to dig in and enact more community-led, public safety strategies on behalf of our city. But, I do not support abolishing the Minneapolis Police Department."

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/minneapolis-mayor-jacob-frey-rejects-city-council-push-to-defund-police

Offline libertybele

Well, one liberal with some logic and isn't as bat crap crazy as the others.  Something tells me though he's not going to be mayor for much longer.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Well, one liberal with some logic and isn't as bat crap crazy as the others.  Something tells me though he's not going to be mayor for much longer.
Well if the city council disbands the police I doubt they will be council members much longer either once the residents experience life without any protection whatsoever.

Offline verga

I support the idea of these cities disbanding their police forces, with 2 stipulations:
1) If (when) this turns to shit, andy council member that voted in favor of it resign immediatley, and is forbidden from ever serving in public office again.
2) Their open seat be filled with a member from the opposition party.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline skeeter

I support the idea of these cities disbanding their police forces, with 2 stipulations:
1) If (when) this turns to shit, andy council member that voted in favor of it resign immediatley, and is forbidden from ever serving in public office again.
2) Their open seat be filled with a member from the opposition party.

I'll agree with your stipulations with one more:

3) any such council member, upon resigning, be dropped off in the city center via public transport in their undershorts and left to make their way to their home to their quiet, gated community in the burbs on foot.

Offline EdinVA

I'll agree with your stipulations with one more:

3) any such council member, upon resigning, be dropped off in the city center via public transport in their undershorts and left to make their way to their home to their quiet, gated community in the burbs on foot.
Your so mean....  :silly:

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Defunding the police will have these consequences :

(1) area will be haven for lawbreakers
(2) Crime rate will go up no telling how much
(3) One of the metrics of the (re(electability)) of a mayor?  Crime rate....   He's a lib, but not a total idiot.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

Commentator Hoppy Kercheval notes:
... And here is a stunning fact: More police means less crime.  Steven Mello at Princeton studied the impact of the American Recovery and Reinvestment Act, which increased funding for Community Oriented Policing Services (COPS), during the Obama presidency.*

He found that adding more police in neighborhoods reduced crime. “The results highlight that fiscal support to local governments for crime prevention may offer large returns,” Mello concluded.

Harold Pollack, a public health professor and co-director of the University of Chicago Crime Lab, told CityLab that he believes people have valid grievances about the police and problems specific to low income and minority communities.

However, “divesting police resources… would in fact lead to more bad policing and less good policing, and it sets up a dynamic that plays right into the hands of people who do not want these communities to do well.”  ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Tough noogies, Jake.  It's veto-proof.  Enjoy the rest of your term as Mayor, you won't get another.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline EdinVA

Tough noogies, Jake.  It's veto-proof.  Enjoy the rest of your term as Mayor, you won't get another.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Let's say the city council actually goes through with this, and they actually disband the Minneapolis police department.

Not much more need be said how things are gonna go on the streets after that happens. Thus...

...It won't be long until SOME entity must step in to fill the void left by the absence of the city cops.

Who will that be?
The county police?
The Minnesota state police?
or...
The Minnesota National Guard?

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Let's say the city council actually goes through with this, and they actually disband the Minneapolis police department.

Not much more need be said how things are gonna go on the streets after that happens. Thus...

...It won't be long until SOME entity must step in to fill the void left by the absence of the city cops.

Who will that be?
The county police?
or...

I'm with @roamer_1 on this:  I think it will be the County to step in, with their own county laws and procedures.  They will necessarily have to staff up dramatically, and Minneapolis has a lot of cops who will be looking for a job.  The County may just send a bill to the City or State.

County won't be interested in stupid ordinances to enforce, they'll go with the work they're tasked with...busting Felonies and Misdemeanors, then jailing the perps.  The City won't be able to order Sheriff's Deputies around, the way they do with the City cops.  This is a bad move from the city's point of view.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline roamer_1

I'm with @roamer_1 on this:  I think it will be the County to step in, with their own county laws and procedures.  They will necessarily have to staff up dramatically, and Minneapolis has a lot of cops who will be looking for a job.  The County may just send a bill to the City or State.

County won't be interested in stupid ordinances to enforce, they'll go with the work they're tasked with...busting Felonies and Misdemeanors, then jailing the perps.  The City won't be able to order Sheriff's Deputies around, the way they do with the City cops.  This is a bad move from the city's point of view.

That is the structure that is already in place. It is not a military zone, subject to international peacekeepers (which is where they want to take it no doubt).

The peacekeeping forces in this country are interleaved, depending upon sworn officers, beholden to the Constitution and the constitution of their state. Those forces interoperate within jurisdictions... The city within the county's jurisdiction, and the county within the state's.

if ALL of that breaks down, even to the point of the state's martial authority being overcome, the next step is still not international. At that point it becomes the interest of the federal government to restore order...

Just because a city decides to put its papers of corporation at risk, does not mean there is no law.

And the mayor of Minneapolis knows it. He's done bit off more than he can chew... And now gets to weight the loss of revenue and power against the quelling of riots that he helped to incite.

And the county authority remains in place. as does the state's.

Offline Slide Rule

It seems that Mayor Jacob Frey is not as dumb as he looks or acts.

He has calculated the payment due at the end of a short interval
of insurrection. And that payment would be made by Jacob Frey
himself. Maybe even the popular Drawing and Quartering.

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline mountaineer

Minneapolis is in Hennepin County, but the sheriff of another nearby county says they're on their own.
Anoka County sheriff says Minneapolis must 'live with the consequences' if it disbands Police Department
    Jun 8, 2020

As it was reported Sunday, June 7, that a veto-proof majority of the Minneapolis City Council supported dismantling the Minneapolis Police Department, Anoka County Sheriff James Stuart urged caution, saying his department has "no appetite for going back to their city to restore order again."

Stuart issued the following statement on social media:
"The members of the Minneapolis City Council should be mindful that numerous other law enforcement agencies have responded to support them, to restore order, to protect their citizens and to return peace to their city during recent tragic days. We did this while joining our communities in disgust over the way in which George Floyd lost his life and in hopes of a stronger, unified future.  ...

"However, If they choose to eliminate their police department through defunding operations without a realistic plan, they must also choose to live with the consequences of their decisions. We are one of many agencies who have no appetite for going back to their city to restore order again; especially if their decision is to actively compromise the safety of the city. ...
More here
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline goatprairie

It seems that Mayor Jacob Frey is not as dumb as he looks or acts.

He has calculated the payment due at the end of a short interval
of insurrection. And that payment would be made by Jacob Frey
himself. Maybe even the popular Drawing and Quartering.
Drawing and quartering is a little drastic.
I would be satisfied to have him (and all other Dem/leftist pols) tied to a**-kicking machines and left on for 24 hours.

Offline verga

Who will that be?
The county police?
or...
Told a liberal the other day, If your house ever gets broken into I want you to make three phone calls in this order: 1) BLM 2) ANTI-FA 3) 911, tell mewhich ones arrives to help you out.
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Offline goatprairie

Trump came close to winning Minnesota in 2016. The Twin City Dems are the ones who cost him the state.
That means there are a lot of Republicans in Minnesota. Around the Twin Cities they are mostly in the suburbs.
I have a liberal stepdaughter and son-in-law who live in one of the burbs. When asked about the possibility of the rioters going out to the burbs, she told my wife that they and many of their neighbors have a lot of guns.
Meaning many liberal Dems are not crazy about what's going on in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Minnesota might be a reliable state for Dems, but it might not be this November.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Trump came close to winning Minnesota in 2016. The Twin City Dems are the ones who cost him the state.
That means there are a lot of Republicans in Minnesota. Around the Twin Cities they are mostly in the suburbs.
I have a liberal stepdaughter and son-in-law who live in one of the burbs. When asked about the possibility of the rioters going out to the burbs, she told my wife that they and many of their neighbors have a lot of guns.
Meaning many liberal Dems are not crazy about what's going on in Minneapolis and St. Paul.
Minnesota might be a reliable state for Dems, but it might not be this November.

My SIL escaped MN a couple years ago.  South side of Minneapolis.
I will NOT comply.

Offline goatprairie

My SIL escaped MN a couple years ago.  South side of Minneapolis.
I actually have two stepdaughters and son-in-laws who live around the TCs. Three of the four are fairly liberal. One son-in-law is not. He's a tech worker who is not fond of liberalism. I don't how he stays married to his lib wife.

Offline LMAO

Jacob Frey is done. I'm sure if you sat down with him privately he knows it and probably welcomes it.

Watch who Minneapolis elects for mayor after him. Frey is probably the last sane mayor
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline roamer_1

Told a liberal the other day, If your house ever gets broken into I want you to make three phone calls in this order: 1) BLM 2) ANTI-FA 3) 911, tell mewhich ones arrives to help you out.

Honest answer: None of the Above.