Author Topic: Senate Republicans urge Trump to tone down rhetoric on protests  (Read 1089 times)

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Senate Republicans urge Trump to tone down rhetoric on protests

Alexander Bolton 4 days ago

Senate Republicans are urging President Trump to soften his language in response to a wave of protests in major cities across the country after the death in police custody of George Floyd, fearing his rhetoric is fueling tensions instead of quelling them.

Republicans from across the political spectrum on Sunday and Monday warned that Trump's verbal shots at protesters and local officials alike are "not constructive" or "helpful" and urged him to change his tone.

While many GOP senators have never been fans of Trump's unrestrained tweeting habit, his latest public salvos are piquing fresh concerns among lawmakers.

Sen. Pat Toomey (R-Pa.) at a press conference on Monday told reporters, "I do think some of his tweets have not been helpful, and it would be helpful if he would change the tone of his message."

Sen. Tim Scott (S.C.), the only African American Republican in the Senate, told "Fox News Sunday" that Trump's reference to a 1967 comment from a Miami police chief warning that looters would be shot was "not constructive."

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/senate-republicans-urge-trump-to-tone-down-rhetoric-on-protests/ar-BB14TsGa
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline skeeter

Re: Senate Republicans urge Trump to tone down rhetoric on protests
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2020, 08:07:39 pm »
Recycling old Trump bashing eh?  Nothing more current to post?

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2020, 08:09:54 pm »

Yeah 4 days is a really long time in Trump world.  So much material to cover.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #3 on: June 06, 2020, 08:17:44 pm »
Yeah 4 days is a really long time in Trump world.  So much material to cover.
What's amazing is the criticism came before he stormed St. John's church.  It's like Trump can't help himself.  Humans tell the President stop dehumanizing Americans, and he tops it with force.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #4 on: June 06, 2020, 08:37:56 pm »
What's amazing is the criticism came before he stormed St. John's church.  It's like Trump can't help himself.  Humans tell the President stop dehumanizing Americans, and he tops it with force.

And some religious people loved it, Trump said.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #5 on: June 06, 2020, 08:41:14 pm »
Welp, yeah... but that's not really Trump's style. I don't think cucking out works though, either.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2020, 08:44:02 pm »

Idiots!  Senate Republicans should be supporting Trump.  There is nothing wrong with peaceful protests and in fact is our right, but rioting, looting, attacking police and others and making b.s. demands is destroying this country and any Senator who would go along with this needs to get some backbone.  Either that or they need their head examined.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2020, 08:47:23 pm »
Welp, yeah... but that's not really Trump's style.

Chaos, hatred and division are his style.  Double down on that and enjoy the MAGA.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2020, 08:50:04 pm »
Idiots!  Senate Republicans should be supporting Trump.  There is nothing wrong with peaceful protests and in fact is our right, but rioting, looting, attacking police and others and making b.s. demands is destroying this country and any Senator who would go along with this needs to get some backbone.  Either that or they need their head examined.

I don't see/hear toomy/scott/et al doing/saying anything to help the situation, just quiet acceptance, other than slamming Trump.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2020, 08:59:31 pm »

Help him drive the train off the cliff?

“I fully understand the anger that so many people feel. I felt that anger when I watched that video. I still feel that anger, and I fully support the right of people to peacefully protest and register their concerns," Toomey said, adding that while “Americans have the right to peacefully protest, no one has a right to violently riot.”

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-nws-pa-pat-toomey-responds-to-police-brutality-protests-trump-20200601-4u73xvw2zndernj364azx3hc2e-story.html

Sounds pretty level headed to me.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:02:57 pm by Chosen Daughter »

Offline libertybele

« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2020, 09:04:51 pm »
I don't see/hear toomy/scott/et al doing/saying anything to help the situation, just quiet acceptance, other than slamming Trump.

Exactly.  IF the GOP Senate and House would collectively stand together with Trump he/they would win by a landslide.  The liberal leftist mental midgets are condoning the chaos in the streets in hopes to capture the black vote.  I hope and pray somehow it comes back to bite them, BIGLY!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

« Reply #11 on: June 06, 2020, 09:07:10 pm »
Help him drive the train off the cliff?

“I fully understand the anger that so many people feel. I felt that anger when I watched that video. I still feel that anger, and I fully support the right of people to peacefully protest and register their concerns," Toomey said, adding that while “Americans have the right to peacefully protest, no one has a right to violently riot.”

https://www.mcall.com/news/pennsylvania/capitol-ideas/mc-nws-pa-pat-toomey-responds-to-police-brutality-protests-trump-20200601-4u73xvw2zndernj364azx3hc2e-story.html

The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline Chosen Daughter

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2020, 09:08:01 pm »

Actually Tim Scott did advise the president

https://www.thedailybeast.com/fox-news-host-chris-wallace-confronts-gop-senator-tim-scott-with-vicious-trump-tweets

• Technical
« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2020, 09:08:44 pm »
Trump should bait antifa to storm the WH then the SS could gun them all down.

Offline libertybele

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2020, 09:17:20 pm »

60 SS members were injured -- not a plan.  The do nothing liberals need to let Trump call in the military instead of tying his hands.  This is now their doing.

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2020, 09:31:10 pm »

Trump's opponent isn't ANTIFA

Offline skeeter

« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2020, 09:32:12 pm »
60 SS members were injured -- not a plan.  The do nothing liberals need to let Trump call in the military instead of tying his hands.  This is now their doing.
A few dozen injured SS agents, not to mention hundreds of burned businesses, hundreds of millions of dollars in lost property & a dozen dead shop keepers, is a small price to pay if the goal is to humanize the voiceless.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2020, 09:33:50 pm by skeeter »

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: June 06, 2020, 09:33:12 pm »
Trump's opponent isn't ANTIFA

:shrug:

I'm talking about people storming the White House. Yeah, there are peaceful protestors, but there are an awful lot who aren't. And there's a lot of overlap.

Offline jafo2010

• Dems-greatest existential threat to USA republic!
« Reply #18 on: June 06, 2020, 09:39:30 pm »
To say Republicans in the Senate are a bunch of weak kneed cowards would not be an over statement.  It gets old.

« Reply #19 on: June 06, 2020, 09:41:06 pm »
:shrug:

I'm talking about people storming the White House. Yeah, there are peaceful protestors, but there are an awful lot who aren't. And there's a lot of overlap.

Fair enough.  I don't condone that either.  I just don't think ANTIFA has much power these days, or it's overshadowed by the righteous anger of the American people.

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #20 on: June 06, 2020, 09:43:24 pm »
Fair enough.  I don't condone that either.  I just don't think ANTIFA has much power these days, or it's overshadowed by the righteous anger of the American people.

The sun is still up... we will see in a few hours..

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: June 06, 2020, 10:12:22 pm »
A few dozen injured SS agents, not to mention hundreds of burned businesses, hundreds of millions of dollars in lost property & a dozen dead shop keepers, is a small price to pay if the goal is to humanize the voiceless.

Would MLK be proud of them? No.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #22 on: June 06, 2020, 10:45:36 pm »

@Once-Ler

Let's see,here. He managed to get elected as President of the United States by doing the opposite of what you wanted,and the candidate you DID support lost to him.

Which makes your demand he follow your advice perfect sense in your world.

Gee,I wonder if he will do as you suggest?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2020, 10:47:05 pm »
Chaos, hatred and division are his style. 

@Once-Ler

You CLEARLY have him confused with the Dims.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2020, 10:49:20 pm »

@Weird Tolkienish Figure

They won't do it. They are all white or Jewish trust fund children. Charging barricades is for the lesser classes they lead.