Author Topic: Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act  (Read 547 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act
« on: June 03, 2020, 02:31:13 pm »
Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act
By Rebecca Kheel - 06/03/20 10:19 AM EDT

Defense Secretary Mark Esper said Wednesday he does not support invoking a law that would allow President Trump to use the U.S. military for domestic law enforcement amid nationwide protests surrounding the death of George Floyd.

"I've always believed and continue to believe that the National Guard is best suited for performing domestic support to civil authorities in these situations in support of local law enforcement," Esper said at a news conference Wednesday.

"I say this not only as secretary of Defense, but also as a former soldier and a former member of the National Guard, the option to use active duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort and only in the most urgent and dire of situations," he added. "We are not in one of those situations now. I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act."

more
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/500877-us-defense-chief-does-not-support-invoking-insurrection-act
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2020, 02:33:59 pm »
I just watched this presser. Trump has every right to fire Esper for publically stating he is against using the Insurrection Act before he has talked to the President. He did say he was on the way to the WH to talk to Trump..a little late.
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Night Hides Not

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2020, 04:01:38 pm »
I just watched this presser. Trump has every right to fire Esper for publically stating he is against using the Insurrection Act before he has talked to the President. He did say he was on the way to the WH to talk to Trump..a little late.

Haven't we learned that deploying active duty forces is far preferable to weekend warriors when rioting and looting  are occurring? Case in point: Minnesota, whose governor served in the Guard for 24 years, attaining the rank of Sergeant Major. I served with numerous Sergeants Major during my 8 years on active duty, and Walz did not deserve to wear that rank. It offends my sensibilities that he made it past Corporal.

ETA: I agree that Esper should be shown the door. He should've voiced his opinion to POTUS first, before going to the media.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 04:03:00 pm by Night Hides Not »
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2020, 04:05:30 pm »
Pentagon distances itself from Trump on crowd control and laments 'murder' of George Floyd
by Abraham Mahshie
 | June 03, 2020 11:03 AM

Defense Secretary Mark Esper delivered a strong condemnation Wednesday of the “murder” of George Floyd by Minnesota police officers while attempting to distance the Pentagon from politics and President Trump’s call to use the military to quell nationwide protests.

“The killing of George Floyd by a Minnesota policeman was a horrible crime,” Esper said from the Pentagon podium. “The officers on the scene that day should be held accountable for his murder. It is a tragedy that we have seen repeat itself too many times.”

Esper also distanced himself from Trump by saying he did not support using federal troops to quell protesters.

“I do not support invoking the Insurrection Act,” he said. “The option to use active-duty forces in a law enforcement role should only be used as a matter of last resort and only in the most urgent and dire situations. We are not in one of those situations now.”

Esper admitted that he regretted describing the use of National Guard troops for “dominating the battlespace” in a leaked call Monday with the president and governors.

“In retrospect, I would use different wording,” he said, describing the military lexicon. “It’s not a phrase focused on people, and certainly not our fellow Americans.”

Esper took a much more conciliatory tone in his brief remarks than the language he used on the call with governors.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/policy/defense-national-security/pentagon-distances-itself-from-trump-on-crowd-control-laments-murder-of-floyd
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2020, 05:28:48 pm »
GOP leader backs Esper on opposing Insurrection Act

Senate Majority Whip John Thune (R-S.D.) on Wednesday threw his support behind Defense Secretary Mark Esper after the Pentagon chief said he opposes invoking the Insurrection Act of 1807 to deploy active U.S. military on American soil to quell protests.

“I think that these tasks ought to be relegated as much as possible to the state and local authorities, the law enforcement and police,” Thune told reporters Wednesday when asked about Esper’s opposition to President Trump possibly invoking the Insurrection Act.

“You got national guard in the states they can activate. I know there are instances in the past where they’ve had to call up active-duty personnel but I think the goal always is to de-escalate, not escalate. So my view is that’s the right call,” he added.

Thune said the U.S. military should maintain its longstanding tradition of staying nonpolitical.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/500916-gop-leader-backs-esper-on-opposing-insurrection-act
Support the USO

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2020, 05:34:25 pm »
Strange the GOP is going soft on this one.

In my lifetime I can remember it being used in '68, which this event is just as bad, or maybe even worse.  And in '92 with Rodney King, which had substantially less impact.

I think the population is angry that we are letting what are basically  domestic terrorist run rampant.  I support invoking. 

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2020, 06:23:25 pm »
It should be apparent to anyone w/a solitary brain that the WH power structure consists of Trump, Ivanka, Slumlord Kushner, Junior and Missy Conway; which has gotten narrower since
the COVIR.
Ever more Senators, Appointees and media Fans of Trump have now realized the disaster that awaits them in November w/Trump on stage.
« Last Edit: June 03, 2020, 09:12:01 pm by Absalom »

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2020, 06:28:42 pm »
Jake Sherman
@JakeSherman
·
5m
OH MAN … @PressSec
: “As of right now, Secretary Esper is still Secretary Esper.” Says we’ll hear if Trump loses confidence in him
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2020, 06:35:08 pm »
Esper says no military for protests as standby troops leave
https://apnews.com/41d80cc063a7199f75fb28cc34713f0c
Support the USO

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2020, 06:40:52 pm »
Esper says no military for protests as standby troops leave
https://apnews.com/41d80cc063a7199f75fb28cc34713f0c

That includes all National Guard?  Poor big city LEO forces.  Looks like you are on your own. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2020, 06:55:15 pm »
Protests mainly have turned peaceful.

A lotta school age kids with little to do because of the bug. Shops closed. No classes.

How about heading over to virtue signal our legitimate disgust over the murder in the news?

BTW remainder of cops charged, and Chauvin cop #1 charge increased to murder two.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #11 on: June 03, 2020, 07:06:11 pm »
Fire esper... no more girly men...

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: June 03, 2020, 07:11:11 pm »
Maybe I'll eat these words but I think the riots are dying down now anyway.  :shrug:

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2020, 08:13:09 pm »
Let Trump and Esper disagree

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #14 on: June 03, 2020, 08:15:23 pm »
Defense Secretary Mark Esper Says He Was Not Aware He Was Accompanying Trump to St. John’s for a ‘Photo Op’
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/06/03/defense-secretary-mark-esper-says-he-was-not-aware-he-was-accompanying-trump-to-st-johns-for-a-photo-op/
Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #15 on: June 03, 2020, 08:16:19 pm »
White House sidesteps questions about Trump's confidence in Pentagon chief
https://thehill.com/policy/defense/500975-mcenany-sidesteps-questions-about-trumps-confidence-in-pentagon-chief
Support the USO

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #16 on: June 03, 2020, 10:04:39 pm »
I think it's safe to say this level of insubordination will send Esper packing very soon.  Doesn't matter if Trump wants to invoke the act at his disposal, if Esper wants to go public with his disagreement with the CiC then he's lost the confidence.

buh bye
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #17 on: June 04, 2020, 12:05:24 am »
"Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act"

Well, if you don't like it...
... there's the door.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #18 on: June 04, 2020, 03:04:48 am »
Vesper is correct.  National Guard and local police is enough.  If you want people to think they are fighting a war bring in the regular military.  If you want them to think they are protesting peacefully have the National Guard there and available if crime occurs.  These are not criminals, and this isn't a war, but they could have one if people feel threatened.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #19 on: June 05, 2020, 12:58:19 pm »
Watch Former CIA officer Brian Dean Wright slam secretary Esper’s opposition to invoking the insurrection act. In particular, note his passion for America. I know “Epic” is an overused descriptive, but this was epic:

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1

Offline EdinVA

« Reply #20 on: June 05, 2020, 01:24:42 pm »
Vesper is correct.  National Guard and local police is enough.  If you want people to think they are fighting a war bring in the regular military.  If you want them to think they are protesting peacefully have the National Guard there and available if crime occurs.  These are not criminals, and this isn't a war, but they could have one if people feel threatened.

There has NEVER been any concern with peaceful protest(ers) other than they are unwittingly protecting the rioters.

So, the folks that are having their business looted and burned are not to be considered?  The fact that they feel threatened does not matter?
That is very Hillary of you...

Offline aligncare

« Reply #21 on: June 05, 2020, 01:30:29 pm »
"Pentagon chief does not support invoking Insurrection Act"

Well, if you don't like it...
... there's the door.

Yep. “Vesper” [sic] will be looking for a new gig very soon. But, it won’t be because of his decision.