Author Topic: BREAKING>>Officer Derek Chauvin who pinned George Floyd taken into custody  (Read 2544 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Officer who pinned George Floyd taken into custody
by Anthony Leonardi
 | May 29, 2020 01:33 PM

The officer who pinned down George Floyd by the neck was taken into custody.

Officer Derek Chauvin, who is seen in a video that emerged online arresting and pinning George Floyd with his knee, was taken into custody by the Minnesota Bureau of Criminal Apprehension, Minnesota Public Safety Commissioner John Harrington announced on Friday.

Chauvin, who has been fired from the department along with three other officers, has not yet been charged with any crime.

Protests in the city of Minneapolis began Tuesday after the footage of Floyd, a 46-year-old black man, circulated on social media, but eventually erupted into violent riots. Floyd was pinned by the neck for approximately eight minutes until he became unresponsive. He was later pronounced dead at a hospital.

During a Friday press conference, Minnesota Gov. Tim Walz, a Democrat, demanded a stop to the looting, arson, or other crimes in his state after three consecutive days of chaotic protesting.

MORE
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/officer-who-pinned-george-floyd-taken-into-custody
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 05:57:10 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Other officers under investigation per Prosecutor
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
3rd degree murder and manslaughter are the charges...developing
Support the USO

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Derek Chauvin Charged with Murder of George Floyd

Ezra Dulis 29 May 2020

The state of Minnesota announced Friday afternoon that Derek Chauvin, the former police officer seen pressing his knee on the neck of George Floyd shortly before he passed out and died, has been arrested.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman revealed that Chauvin has been charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter roughly 50 minutes after his arrest became known to the public.

more
https://www.breitbart.com/politics/2020/05/29/derek-chauvin-arrested-for-death-of-george-floyd/
« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:18:13 pm by mystery-ak »
Support the USO

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Other officers under investigation per Prosecutor

-The guy was down, handcuffed, knee on neck, crying out, multiple officers standing by, and none of them intervene?

-the officer in question had several prior questionable incidents?

« Last Edit: May 29, 2020, 07:12:31 pm by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline mountaineer

3rd degree murder and manslaughter are the charges...developing
That won't placate the mob. Nothing less than a death penalty case will do.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!

You're right the family wants 1st degree murder

...and I always thought 3rd degree was manslaughter :shrug:
Support the USO

Offline berdie

And if they don't hang him high by tomorrow there will be no peace. The he!! with due process.

Offline libertybele

Yesterday, supposedly it was reported that there was evidence of no criminal wrongdoing.  Where is that evidence??
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
You're right the family wants 1st degree murder

...and I always thought 3rd degree was manslaughter :shrug:

I'd never even heard of 3rd deg murder.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Third-degree_murder

Third-degree murder is a category of murder defined in the laws of three states in the United States: Florida, Minnesota, and Pennsylvania. It was also formerly defined in New Mexico (which once had five degrees of murder) and Wisconsin.

Depending on the state, third-degree murder may include felony murder regardless of the underlying felony, felony murder only where the underlying felony is non-violent, or depraved-heart murder. It is punishable by a maximum of 40 years imprisonment in Florida (in the case of a violent career criminal) and Pennsylvania, and 25 years imprisonment in Minnesota.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Minneapolis cop who knelt on man's neck charged with murder
« Reply #11 on: May 29, 2020, 08:43:25 pm »
By Tim Sullivan and Amy Amy Forliti
https://apnews.com/e27cfce9464809aa8c91afd74c930bb5?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow

MINNEAPOLIS (AP) — The police officer who was seen on video kneeling on the neck of George Floyd, a handcuffed black man who died in custody after pleading that he could not breathe, was arrested Friday and charged with murder in a case that sparked protests across the United States and violence in Minneapolis.

Hennepin County Attorney Mike Freeman said Derek Chauvin was charged with third-degree murder and manslaughter. Freeman did not provide immediate details, but said a criminal complaint would be made available later Friday and that more charges were possible.

In the video, Chauvin is seen kneeling on Floyd’s neck as Floyd is on the ground. He gradually becomes motionless as Chauvin and three other officers ignore bystanders’ shouts to get off him. Freeman said the investigation continues into the other three officers, but that authorities “felt it appropriate to focus on the most dangerous perpetrator.”

Freeman highlighted the “extraordinary speed” in charging the case just four days after Floyd’s death, but also defended himself against questions about why it did not happen sooner. He said his office needed time to put together evidence, including what he called the “horrible” video by a bystander. He said he would not bring a case unless he had enough evidence to prove the charges beyond a reasonable doubt . . .
-------------------------------------------
Side note, in Reason: Even Police Unions Trash the Actions of the Cop Who Killed George Floyd

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Re: Minneapolis cop who knelt on man's neck charged with murder
« Reply #12 on: May 29, 2020, 08:51:28 pm »
The cop pinning George Floyd's neck with his knee may not be the sole cause of George's death. It was most likely caused, or at least contributed, by the weight of the 2 cops that were on George's back. That was probably why he couldn't breathe. All 3 of them should have been arrested.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
« Reply #13 on: May 29, 2020, 08:54:47 pm »
The cop pinning George Floyd's neck with his knee may not be the sole cause of George's death. It was most likely caused, or at least contributed, by the weight of the 2 cops that were on George's back. That was probably why he couldn't breathe. All 3 of them should have been arrested.
I'm betting the others will be, and very soon.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline musiclady

Not so.  This will go a long way to placate the people who actually live in Minneapolis.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #15 on: May 29, 2020, 09:00:59 pm »
I'm betting the others will be, and very soon.

They need to be.  They are accomplices.

The charges may be increased as evidence continues to pour in.  I still think 2nd degree Murder is the most appropriate as per Minnesota State Law.

In addition, Barr will most likely be adding federal charges either at the same time, or after Minnesota deals with this.

It is GOOD that this thug in a uniform is now incarcerated.  He is a pox on society, and especially the police whose uniform and reputation he has besmirched.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Offline musiclady

« Reply #16 on: May 29, 2020, 09:02:40 pm »
By Tim Sullivan and Amy Amy Forliti
https://apnews.com/e27cfce9464809aa8c91afd74c930bb5?utm_source=Twitter&utm_medium=AP&utm_campaign=SocialFlow
-------------------------------------------
Side note, in Reason: Even Police Unions Trash the Actions of the Cop Who Killed George Floyd

I've seen that numerous police officers have condemned this killing.  They are trained to do the opposite of what Chauvin did, and no officer with a conscience would do anything but condemn him.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #17 on: May 29, 2020, 09:02:57 pm »

Just released the autopsy report:

No physical findings that support a diagnosis of traumatic asphyxia or strangulation”...combination of force & health problems contributed to death.

Might be hard to get a murder charge with that if you can't prove he died from the force?

:shrug:

Offline musiclady

Yesterday, supposedly it was reported that there was evidence of no criminal wrongdoing.  Where is that evidence??

Who said that?  There is ample evidence in the video alone that Floyd was unconscious and Chauvin continued to keep his knee on his neck, and that Floyd was handcuffed and not resisting.

Offline roamer_1

Fairly common. My son had fourteen actions brought against him. Fourteen. All disproved/frivolous...
What saved him every time was the tape. I always thought it a burden that he was on tape all the time... But he is happy to have it.

Offline musiclady

And if they don't hang him high by tomorrow there will be no peace. The he!! with due process.

The original protesters from the neighborhood are already participating in clean-up teams to try to restore their community.

The anarchists who are the real destructive rioters may not settle down, but I would be shocked if this arrest doesn't help calm things down.

Offline musiclady

Wasn't it the DA?

Don't know.  I never heard that.

Offline musiclady

-The guy was down, handcuffed, knee on neck, crying out, multiple officers standing by, and none of them intervene?

12 of them.  He should have been sitting at a desk at least.

Offline libertybele

Who said that?  There is ample evidence in the video alone that Floyd was unconscious and Chauvin continued to keep his knee on his neck, and that Floyd was handcuffed and not resisting.

Prosecutors warn there is 'evidence that does not support criminal charge' in case of four cops accused of killing George Floyd

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8367221/Prosecutors-warn-evidence-does-not-support-criminal-charge-George-Floyds-killing.html
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.