Author Topic: Amy Klobuchar didn't prosecute officer at center of George Floyd's death  (Read 300 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Amy Klobuchar didn't prosecute officer at center of George Floyd's death
May 28, 2020

George Floyd's death in police custody is renewing criticism of Sen. Amy Klobuchar's (D-Minn.) prosecutorial record.

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derick Chauvin saw at least 10 conduct complaints during his 19-year tenure before he was fired Tuesday, according to a database that documents complaints against police. In particular, he was involved in the shooting death of a man who had stabbed other people before attacking police, as well as some other undisclosed complaints. Klobuchar did not prosecute Chauvin and other officers involved in the first death, which occurred in October 2006 while she was running for Senate. The case was under investigation when Klobuchar took office in the Senate in January 2007, and later went to a grand jury, which declined to charge the officers. Chauvin was later placed on leave when he and other officers shot and wounded a Native American man in 2011.

more
https://theweek.com/speedreads/916926/amy-klobuchar-didnt-prosecute-officer-center-george-floyds-death
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline EdinVA

Amy Klobuchar didn't prosecute officer at center of George Floyd's death
May 28, 2020

George Floyd's death in police custody is renewing criticism of Sen. Amy Klobuchar's (D-Minn.) prosecutorial record.

Before she became a senator and a top contender for former Vice President Joe Biden's vice presidential spot, Klobuchar spent eight years as the Hennepin County attorney, in charge of prosecution for Minneapolis. And while in that position, Klobuchar declined to prosecute multiple police officers cited for excessive force, and did not prosecute the officer who kneeled on Floyd's neck as he protested, The Guardian reports.

Ex-Minneapolis police officer Derick Chauvin saw at least 10 conduct complaints during his 19-year tenure before he was fired Tuesday, according to a database that documents complaints against police. In particular, he was involved in the shooting death of a man who had stabbed other people before attacking police, as well as some other undisclosed complaints. Klobuchar did not prosecute Chauvin and other officers involved in the first death, which occurred in October 2006 while she was running for Senate. The case was under investigation when Klobuchar took office in the Senate in January 2007, and later went to a grand jury, which declined to charge the officers. Chauvin was later placed on leave when he and other officers shot and wounded a Native American man in 2011.

more
https://theweek.com/speedreads/916926/amy-klobuchar-didnt-prosecute-officer-center-george-floyds-death
Lying hit piece.... Why is it wrong for an officer to shot someone stabbing other people?

In particular, he was involved in the shooting death of a man who had stabbed other people before attacking police, as well as some other undisclosed complaints. Klobuchar did not prosecute Chauvin and other officers involved in the first death, which occurred in October 2006 while she was running for Senate. The case was under investigation when Klobuchar took office in the Senate in January 2007, and later went to a grand jury, which declined to charge the officers. Chauvin was later placed on leave when he and other officers shot and wounded a Native American man in 2011.
This is the Native-American man shot in 2011
According to police reports, 911 dispatchers heard an assault over the open phone line.[/size]
When officers arrived to investigate the call, they were refused entry, but they could hear an assault occurring. The officers forced their way into the apartment and chased the man inside the residence.[/size]
As police tried to subdue him, the man attempted to take an officer's gun. The other officer then shot the suspect in the upper torso, police said.[/size]

https://www.startribune.com/police-shoot-wound-man-in-a-scuffle-during-arrest/19237784/

Not shilling for Klobuchar, just hate lying media...

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Klobuchar: ‘It Is a Lie’ I Declined to Prosecute Police Officer Involved in Floyd Death

Pam Key 29 May 2020

Friday on MSNBC’s “Andrea Mitchell Reports,” Sen. Amy Klobuchar (D-MN) said it was “a lie” that as the chief legal officer of Hennepin County, MN she declined to charge Minneapolis police officer Derek Chauvin for his role in the shooting death of Wayne Reyes in October 2006.

Chauvin is the police officer seen on video with his knee on George Floyd’s neck for several minutes.

Klobuchar said, “Honestly, yesterday, when these reports came out about this officer, I was with our community, and my number one focus was the city that was burning. And now I have this opportunity to address this. Let me start with the specific case. This idea that I somehow declined a case which has been reported on some news blogs and then sent out on the internet against this officer is absolutely false. It is a lie. I don’t know what else to say about it than it is a lie.”

She continued, “The case was investigated. That investigation continued into a time where I was already sworn I the U.S. Senate. I never declined the case. It was handled and sent to the grand jury. My successor’s office said it was not my place to make decisions because the decision was made when I was in the U.S. Senate. In fact, nine months after I was in the Senate is when it went to the grand jury.”

more
https://www.breitbart.com/clips/2020/05/29/klobuchar-it-is-a-lie-i-declined-to-prosecute-police-officer-involved-in-floyd-death/
Support the USO

Offline Hoodat

Klobuchar didn't prosecute controversial police killings or brutality cases as a county attorney

March 25, 2019 | by Tom Scheck, Brandt Williams, and Nikki Pederson

Violence was a dark feature of law enforcement in Minnesota's largest county 20 years ago. Amy Klobuchar saw it firsthand as the Hennepin County Attorney, though she kept a distance.

Over eight years beginning in 1999, the city of Minneapolis paid $4.8 million in legal settlements related to 122 police misconduct incidents. And police officers and county sheriffs were involved in 29 civilian deaths.

Klobuchar, however, chose not to criminally charge any fatalities involving law enforcement.
Instead she routinely put the decision to a grand jury, a process widely criticized for its secrecy and for mostly allowing the police version of events. Klobuchar also didn't take on any of the misconduct claims.

The mother of a black teenager who was shot and killed by police in 2004 begged Klobuchar to file charges against the officer instead of presenting the case to a grand jury.  .  .  .

https://www.apmreports.org/story/2019/03/25/amy-klobuchar-police-hennepin-county-prosecutor
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

George Floyd’s Death Resurfaces Amy Klobuchar’s Tough-On-Crime, Easy-On-Cops Record

Amanda Terkel and Daniel Marans   |    05/28/2020 03:57 pm ET   |   Updated 19 hours ago

The death of George Floyd, a black man who died after a Minneapolis police officer kneeled on his neck earlier this week, has resurrected Democratic Sen. Amy Klobuchar’s record as a prosecutor in the state ― including her tense relationship with the Black community there ― at the politically sensitive time that she’s being considered by Joe Biden to be his running mate.

“There is absolutely no way that she is qualified to become Biden’s VP nominee,” said Nekima Levy Armstrong, a civil rights lawyer who served as head of the Minneapolis NAACP from 2015 to 2016.  .  .  .

https://www.huffpost.com/entry/amy-klobuchar-prosecution-record-biden-vp_n_5ecffe4cc5b635837d3744ed

Nekima Levy Armstrong was quoted in the previous 2019 article.  The current comment above shows that her opinion of Klobuchar remains unchanged.  This is the former chairperson of the Minneapolis NAACP.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline aligncare

I understand perfectly why some officers who patrol the aggrieved communities of color might have numbers of complaints lodged against them and are jaded by them. Blacks are kept in a perpetual state of bitterness by race hustlers like Sharpton and Jackson and the media in general, and will often lash out at the slightest perceived affront.

Whites in those neighborhoods walk on eggshells in daily interactions for fear they will be confronted by charges of racism. We’ve all seen it before. So, to see policemen in those neighborhoods having complaints on their records means almost nothing.

Of course, I’m not talking about serious misconduct by police. That’s a different matter. I’m referring to nuisance complaints.