Author Topic: Their forever age  (Read 219 times)

rangerrebew

Their forever age
« on: May 26, 2020, 10:45:20 am »
Their forever age
Frank Biggio

“I am tired and sick of war. Its glory is all moonshine. It is only those who have neither fired a shot nor heard the shrieks and groans of the wounded who cry aloud for blood, for vengeance, for desolation. War is hell.” – William Tecumseh Sherman

Arlington National Cemetery, Section 60. From a distance, the headstones all look the same. Their symmetry reflects the military’s precision and seems at first to confer near anonymity on the souls of those who rest beneath them. Walking in their midst, however, and reading the names inscribed in bold black letters on white marble, one feels their individuality emerge. The inscriptions are simple: name, dates of birth and death, a military operation they engaged in, an award. At the top of each stone is etched a cross, a Star of David, a crescent moon and star, or some other symbol of religious affiliation. Simple. Orderly. Dignified.

https://www.militarytimes.com/opinion/commentary/2020/05/24/their-forever-age/

rangerrebew

Re: Their forever age
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2020, 10:49:46 am »
5 years ago was my 50th H.S. reunion which I did not attend.  It wasn't that I didn't want to see them it was that I preferred to remember as they were.  So, nobody in my graduation class has ever aged - except me. :poohappen: