Author Topic: Trump says US won't close if second COVID-19 wave hits  (Read 447 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump says US won't close if second COVID-19 wave hits
« on: May 21, 2020, 09:19:10 pm »
Trump says US won't close if second COVID-19 wave hits
By Morgan Chalfant - 05/21/20 05:09 PM EDT

President Trump said Thursday the United States would not shut down if a second wave of coronavirus hits the country.

“People say that’s a very distinct possibility. It's standard. And we're going to put out the fires. We're not going to close the country. We’re going to put out the fires,” Trump told reporters during a tour of a Ford manufacturing plant in Ypsilanti, Mich., when asked if he was concerned about a second wave of COVID-19.

Trump expressed confidence in the country’s ability to contain future outbreaks.   

“Whether it’s an ember or a flame, we’re going to put it out. But we’re not closing our country,” the president continued.

DEVELOPING

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/499054-trump-says-he-will-not-close-country-if-there-is-a-second-wave-of
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Re: Trump says US won't close if second COVID-19 wave hits
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2020, 09:52:52 pm »
We are at a point in this pandemic where we now have a much better idea of where the hotspots are, who is getting sick and how. Lockdown was never going to be a long-term solution: only once was it ever tried before on this scale (1918), and even then it was not for this long, not as disruptive (people still went to work, sports still went on, and we were already in an abnormal economy because of the war) and it wasn't particularly effective.

We also know that this virus, while more dangerous than the flu in terms of rate of death and severe complications (especially for those with pre-existing conditions), is no more infectious over any given time span: the only reason it has a higher R0 is because it takes longer for the body to fight it off. The skyrocketing numbers we saw in the early days of the pandemic were more a byproduct of falling way behind on noticing than high infection rates. Most of the research has also shown that children are at far lower risk of transmitting it than adults, meaning all this talk about socially distant schools is foolishness.

The more we can isolate the sick as they are found, the less of a threat it becomes to the general public.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Quasar44

« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2020, 02:58:23 am »
Never should have closed in the first place  wink777 wink777

Offline Applewood

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2020, 03:48:42 am »
I don't think closing or not closing is up to Trump.  Still think that decision belongs to the states. 

Just too bad that some states like the one I live in are ruled by imbeciles. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2020, 04:43:32 am »
Never should have closed in the first place  wink777 wink777

I wholeheartedly agree.  People with underlying health conditions could have voluntarily stayed home.  Common sense work guidelines.  It was incredibly stupid, the whole thing.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2020, 04:15:12 pm »
I don't think closing or not closing is up to Trump.  Still think that decision belongs to the states. 

Just too bad that some states like the one I live in are ruled by imbeciles.

The Constitution does not allows local governments to take property.  Only to close for a temporary basis.  I believe that people will be able to legitimately challenge this in court soon, if not now.  Because they are taking businesses as they are forced to close from extended state closures.  It is going to be a Judicial mess.

Trump should collect the best Conservative Constitutional lawyers and get this country open for business.

The state is not above the Constitution.  This is way beyond reasonable.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2020, 04:16:53 pm by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.