Author Topic: Burr problem grows for GOP  (Read 596 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Burr problem grows for GOP
« on: May 15, 2020, 11:50:07 am »
Burr problem grows for GOP
By Alexander Bolton - 05/15/20 06:00 AM EDT

Sen. Richard Burr’s (R-N.C.) decision to temporarily step down as chairman of the Intelligence Committee amid an FBI probe into his stock transactions shook Senate Republicans on Thursday.

While Republicans praised Burr for standing down and offered support for a colleague, they acknowledged the FBI’s seizure of Burr’s cell phone created difficult optics for Republicans battling to retain their Senate majority.

One Republican senator who requested anonymity to comment on the political problem created by the FBI raid said the best-case scenario would be for Burr to be exonerated by the Justice Department before the Nov. 3 election.

The Republican acknowledged it looks bad for Senate Republicans as a whole, but added that it would look worse if Burr resigned from office altogether.

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/senate/497891-burr-problem-grows-for-gop
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: Burr problem grows for GOP
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2020, 11:55:32 am »
Actually, why doesn't someone check out DiFi's and San FranNan's portfolio changes, so we can have a decent idea when the Chinese knew this virus was going to be a problem....
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline verga

« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2020, 12:19:39 pm »
Actually, why doesn't someone check out DiFi's and San FranNan's portfolio changes, so we can have a decent idea when the Chinese knew this virus was going to be a problem....
Difi is being looked at  https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Feinstein-denies-wrongdoing-in-stock-sale-before-15145862.php
In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
�More than any other time in history, mankind faces a crossroads. One path leads to despair and utter hopelessness. The other, to total extinction. Let us pray we have the wisdom to choose correctly.�-Woody Allen
If God invented marathons to keep people from doing anything more stupid, the triathlon must have taken him completely by surprise.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2020, 12:55:30 am »
Difi is being looked at  https://www.sfchronicle.com/politics/article/Feinstein-denies-wrongdoing-in-stock-sale-before-15145862.php
And I am still back to the question of which stocks? The crash  in oil prices was coming the minute the Russians and Saudis failed to reach an agreement on production caps, and I'd have bailed out of just about any oilfield related stock as soon as that happened (just a few days before COVID-19 became news,in fact so close, that the initial crash in oil prices (Down to the sub $20 level--below cost) and oil related stocks didn't make the news outside the trades before the virus blew it out of the news. That new level was severe enough that overnight drilling programs were scrapped, and completions put on hold. It put me out of work as an oil company which had been talking about adding three rigs cut back instead from 9 rigs to 3 (and now, with the virus factored in and the effect on demand, even fewer.) As I have commented, in the oil industry, it's 1986 all over again.

So, someone really paying attention would have divested their portfolio also of the hospitality and service company stocks which would be adversely impacted by the sharp downward change in oil activity, too.

Without knowing what was traded, there is no way to say there is a there there.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis