Author Topic: Study finds 42% of pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses  (Read 519 times)

rangerrebew

Study finds 42% of pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses
by Mica Soellner
 | May 11, 2020 10:32 AM

Many of the coronavirus pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses, according to a new study with alarming implications for the future of the economy.

Forty-two percent of workers experiencing recent layoffs will suffer permanent job losses, according to a paper circulated by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The finding is especially grim news because officials are hoping that most of the workers sent home during the pandemic will return quickly to their old jobs. The vast majority of the massive layoffs in response to the pandemic have been on a temporary basis: In April, 18 million of the 20.6 million people who lost work said that their job losses were "temporary," according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/new-study-finds-42-of-pandemic-layoffs-will-become-permanent-job-losses

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Study finds 42% of pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses
by Mica Soellner
 | May 11, 2020 10:32 AM

Many of the coronavirus pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses, according to a new study with alarming implications for the future of the economy.

Forty-two percent of workers experiencing recent layoffs will suffer permanent job losses, according to a paper circulated by the National Bureau of Economic Research.

The finding is especially grim news because officials are hoping that most of the workers sent home during the pandemic will return quickly to their old jobs. The vast majority of the massive layoffs in response to the pandemic have been on a temporary basis: In April, 18 million of the 20.6 million people who lost work said that their job losses were "temporary," according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/new-study-finds-42-of-pandemic-layoffs-will-become-permanent-job-losses

We are really are in uncharted territory.  I am a little bit more optmistic based on whether we can maximize the "temporary" aspects of this crisis.  The quicker we can return to some level of normalcy, the less impact we will see.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
We are really are in uncharted territory.  I am a little bit more optmistic based on whether we can maximize the "temporary" aspects of this crisis.  The quicker we can return to some level of normalcy, the less impact we will see.

It seems intuitive to me that the longer a company is shut down, the less likely it is to survive.  We may even lose some of the Bigs.  A lot of the Smalls are already dead.

This is why the Dems are delighted every day States stay locked down, and they cheer every business that fails.  The more pain in the economy, the better chances they have of toppling Trump, taking over the Senate and retaining the House.  They see an opportunity for a win-win-win, so they're playing this for all it's worth, warning of massive death in the streets we already know isn't going to happen.  They must use their media to convince us to let it happen.

This is why we see the Rats acting the way they are.  It's strategery.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
It seems intuitive to me that the longer a company is shut down, the less likely it is to survive.  We may even lose some of the Bigs.  A lot of the Smalls are already dead.

This is why the Dems are delighted every day States stay locked down, and they cheer every business that fails.  The more pain in the economy, the better chances they have of toppling Trump, taking over the Senate and retaining the House.  They see an opportunity for a win-win-win, so they're playing this for all it's worth, warning of massive death in the streets we already know isn't going to happen.  They must use their media to convince us to let it happen.

This is why we see the Rats acting the way they are.  It's strategery.

No disagreement on the short term pain, , but some of the doom and gloomers are claiming that it will take job market 10+ years to recover.  I think our society is a little more innovative, flexible and resilient than that.

Supply/Demand is a funny thing.  There's always somone who can figure it out. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
No disagreement on the short term pain, , but some of the doom and gloomers are claiming that it will take job market 10+ years to recover.  I think our society is a little more innovative, flexible and resilient than that.

Supply/Demand is a funny thing.  There's always somone who can figure it out.

I don't know about ten years but it is going to take some time even if the actions taken to remedy it are good. If they are bad ten years or more is a real possibility.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
If the Rats succeed in staying the course through the election, 10 years won't be nearly enough to get things back to the way they were.  They know this, they aren't all as illiterate in economics as AOC.  They just don't care about suffering, as it promises to deliver more power into their hands.

The Democrats are behaving exactly as we already knew they would.  They are strong advocates of the egg-breaking school of omelet making.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online libertybele

If the Rats succeed in staying the course through the election, 10 years won't be nearly enough to get things back to the way they were.  They know this, they aren't all as illiterate in economics as AOC.  They just don't care about suffering, as it promises to deliver more power into their hands.

The Democrats are behaving exactly as we already knew they would.  They are strong advocates of the egg-breaking school of omelet making.

You are absolutely correct;(and I still have the notion in my mind that Biden and company orchestrated this mess).  That is why it is so imperative that Biden isn't seated in the WH and we hang on to the Senate.  They know that their chances of winning have widened with this virus and economic downfall, but not enough to win.  That's why now they are promoting mail-in ballots and every liberal mental midget (including Fauci) is saying that it's too soon to reopen....blah...blah....  Just my humble opinion here.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Trump is the right guy, to "talk-up" the economy from the "bully-pulpit."

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline PeteS in CA

Another computer model? GIGO is the new Murphy's Law.

Will jobs return instantaneously? Obviously not. Will businesses and jobs rebuild over a year or three? Similarly obviously. I think Americans will out-think and -perform the GI-filled computer models, again.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
"I don't believe them. Haha." —Anthony Fauci
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Absalom

Re: Study finds 42% of pandemic layoffs will become permanent job losses
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2020, 06:48:33 pm »
A reflection.
As Nature deals in the trans-formative not the trivial; the notion
that any recovery will be V shaped, is too stupid for words.
Suggest key questions include:
* what industries have been crippled and will disappear?
* what industries will be created from this event?
and perhaps most importantly:
* to what degree will the attitude and behavior of plain people change?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2020, 12:39:40 am »
Bigun observed:
"I don't know about ten years but it is going to take some time even if the actions taken to remedy it are good. If they are bad ten years or more is a real possibility."

The democrat-communists don't need ten years.
They don't need five years.
All they need... is until November.

This is gonna be a tough one.
I wish I could be more optimistic...

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2020, 01:16:56 am »
This is chicanery.

Of course job losses will occur.  How many social cruise directors of ship will now be needed now?

Instead there will be a plethora of new jobs out there replacing them.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2020, 02:02:17 am »
Well, I guess it depends on which job losses are attributed to COVID-19.

The Oil Patch was already on the ropes because of the shenanigans the Russians and Saudis pulled. THose jobs aren't gone over COVID-19, but over low oil prices (that' would have caused massive layoffs in the drilling end of the business, and every drilling rig that shuts down means a slew of other jobs are in peril, for every four or five, expect jobs to be lost. Not only are the drilling company employees laid off, supervisory staff, geological and directional personnel, Drilling fluid engineers, truckers, water haulers, the people who rent out site housing and maintain it, earthwork contractors, feeder pipeline companies, etc., the list goes on. All the people who worked in the industries which supply the drilling operations lose jobs, and so forth. Those jobs won't be coming back for a while, not until the current surplus is used up, not until demand is back, and the price increases. Some will perhaps be back in a year. (perhaps).
Completions will likely lag as well, because there is no sense in spending the money to complete a well (fraccing, surface equipment, downhole production equipment) when the product will sell for less than it cost. Time easements have been given to permit oil companies to wait to complete DUC (Drilled but UnCompleted) wells.

Companies involved in doing completions will suffer some. Some will be involved in slowing production or shutting wells in for a while.

In the midstream, transportation/storage will go on, and staff will likely be mostly retained.
In the refining end, there have been slowdowns, and there may be furloughs there as well.

Those jobs affect other jobs, indirectly, but some of those jobs are also affected by COVID restrictions.

Just pointing out that not every job dies of the Coronavirus, just like not every patient. Expect some book cooking there, too.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis