Author Topic: Fishing Boat Hit by Accidentally Fired Taiwanese Supersonic Anti-Ship Missile  (Read 350 times)

rangerrebew

Fishing Boat Hit by Accidentally Fired Taiwanese Supersonic Anti-Ship Missile

The bizarre mishap kills the captain, wounds three fisherman and badly damages a fishing boat.
By Tyler RogowayJuly 1, 2016

The War Zone

A Republic Of China Navy (ROCN) missile boat was conducting a drill while docked in port when one of the vessel’s supersonic anti-ship missiles inadvertently fired. The missile flew nearly 50 miles into the waters off Penghu, a strategic Taiwanese controlled group of islands located in the volatile Taiwan Strait. Sadly, it homed in on a fishing vessel and struck the ship—just as it is designed to do. The captain was killed and three fisherman were wounded. The fishing boat was also from Taiwan.

At the time the launch occurred, the Ching Chiang class patrol ship Jin Chiang (PGG-610) was docked at Zuoying naval base, on the southwest shore of Taiwan. A ROCN Admiral told reporters that it seems like the drill the crew was doing was not executed “in accordance with normal procedure.” So it looks like a human factor caused the unintended launch at this time.

https://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone/4238/fishing-boat-hit-by-accidentally-fired-taiwanese-supersonic-anti-ship-missile

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
OOps...
(Prayers for the victims)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline EdinVA

This is odd.... if you have an anti-ship missile it has to have some sort of targeting system, gps, radar, heat seeking, etc....
So how does a missile, capable of 150 miles, only travel 50 miles and hit a 30 or 40 ft boat in all of that water without some sort of enabled targeting???
Me thinks something is fishy..

Offline jpsb

This is odd.... if you have an anti-ship missile it has to have some sort of targeting system, gps, radar, heat seeking, etc....
So how does a missile, capable of 150 miles, only travel 50 miles and hit a 30 or 40 ft boat in all of that water without some sort of enabled targeting???
Me thinks something is fishy..

Some fishing boats are really ships.

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Da! Is fishink wessel!
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis