Author Topic: "Snow in Central Park! In May!": Rare snowfall ties 1977 record, National Weather Service says  (Read 449 times)

rangerrebew

"Snow in Central Park! In May!": Rare snowfall ties 1977 record, National Weather Service says

By Audrey McNamara

May 9, 2020 / 10:31 AM / CBS News

Snow fell in Central Park early Saturday morning, tying a record for May snowfall set in 1977, according to the National Weather Service. "In New York City at Central Park this morning, it was- it tied for the latest snowfall we've ever seen," said CBS News meteorologist Jeff Berardelli on "CBS This Morning: Saturday."

In upstate New York, a significant amount of snow left the region looking like a winter wonderland – in the middle of spring. According to Berardelli, the disorienting May weather is due to the polar vortex, which normally only touches down in the winter.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/snow-may-central-park-rare-snowfall-ties-1977-record-national-weather-service/

Offline Applewood

These people carrying on about snow in May give me the giggles.  Most of them are youngsters compared to a lot of us.  Just because in their lifetime of 20 or 30 years they never saw snow in May doesn't mean it never happened before.  I have a few stories of snow in May, cold on the 4th of July and 70 degrees in January.   it's not "climate change."   It's called "weather" and in many parts of the country like the Northeast or the Midwest, crazy weather is the norm, not the exception. Where I live, I never know from one day to the next what the weather is going to be like.  Heck, weather here can change by the hour. 

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
In SE Iowa grandpa saw snow in June, dad in July. Grandma talked about 1947 as the year without a summer, and grandpa drove across the Mississippi river more than once during the winter when he was young.

My step-grandpa talked about the 110+F temps in the summer in the 30's, while at the same time the winters were cold and 'snow to (the top of) the fenceposts'.

I definitely remember the winter of '77. It was brutal. There was a period of at least a couple of weeks where it never got above zero, and I don't recall how many months it was below freezing.

What I really remember is that spring we had moved into the house that mom and dad built that was behind the trailer we were living in. That was late May.

The anchor stakes to the trailer were 5 ft. long. When we dug the hole to remove them, the soil at the bottom was still frozen.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2020, 02:00:33 am by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
Had frost this morning in Alabama... one of our later frosts I must admit. I went to cover my garden with old sheets and got most the garden covered but the last 3 plants... Like a good redneck, I took off my shirts I was wearing and covered the last plants and booked it home while I could still feel my nipples.
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Another spot example why the enviro-whackos had mysteriously changed their terminology from global warming to climate change about 10 years ago.

We are are seeing the lack of sunspot activity that we haven't witnessed in over a 100 years.  The last Solar Cycle lull was the deepest seen since the 1870's.  Don't be surprised if we  see some cooler summers and colder winters for awhile.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.