Author Topic: Armed Texas SWAT Team Raids Daddy Zane’s Bar in West Odessa After Breaking State Orders and Reopenin  (Read 808 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Gateway Pundit by Jim Hoft 5/5/2020

https://static.thegatewaypundit.com/wp-content/uploads/west-odessa-texas-protest-swat-team.jpg

Armed Texas SWAT Team Raids Daddy Zane’s Bar in West Odessa After Breaking State Orders and Reopening — 8 Arrested!

The Ector County Sheriff’s office sent out an armed SWAT team in military vehicles to counter a peaceful protest at Daddy Zane’s Bar in West Odessa on Monday.

The bar reopened on Tuesday saying “all businesses are essential!”

The Ector County SWAT Team arrested 8 people including the female bar owner Gabrielle Ellison.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
???

I'd be willing to bet that bar owner and that county sheriff must have "some other issues" to make that sheriff to do something like is.
Texas doesn't operate this way, at least and especially if that sheriff wants to be re-elected.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline EdinVA

More on the story....

Cops in western Texas said they arrested a bar owner and a group of armed men Monday after they violated the state's order.
 Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis said during a news conference Tuesday that his officers were alerted that the owner of Big Daddy Zane's in West Odessa, Texas, opened her bar even though Gov. Greg Abbott's reopening plan explicitly mandated that bars remain closed. When officers arrived, they saw six men in body armor and armed rifles standing outside the establishment, according to Griffis.

https://abcnews.go.com/US/cops-arrest-armed-men-texas-bar-owner-violated/story?id=70509866

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
More on the story....

Damn....

Again, I am guessing this bar owner and the county sheriff must have some kind of history.  Escalation of this nature shouldn't be contingent on whether my butt can occupy a bar stool.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

What were they armed with, Krispy Kremes?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

More on the story....
What is the big deal here?  As long as they were not within the establishment that sold liquor, there is no Texas law which says they cannot openly arm themselves.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Open Texas protestors arrested outside of Odessa bar

https://www.newswest9.com/article/news/health/coronavirus/protestors-arrested-outside-of-bar-rally/513-b08b9788-4852-413a-9707-f39510eea1f9

A rally in support of Big Daddy Zane's Bar spurred the response of the Odessa SWAT team.

Get Texas reopened – that's the demand from people across West Texas Monday.   

Businesses mandated to remain closed, are now open. That includes the Big Daddy Zane's Bar in West Odessa.

A rally in support of the business spurred the response of the Odessa SWAT team.

“We’re here to inspire the American people to stand up. Every single one of my buddies just got arrested for doing nothing wrong, all of our rifles were slinged,” Phillip Archibald with Open Texas said.

Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis confirms eight people were arrested at the rally this afternoon, six for felony unlawfully carrying a weapon on licensed premises.

People as far away as Dallas drove in to support the reopening of small businesses in West Texas. They say by keeping business closed, the state is infringing on the rights of business owners.

Offline mountaineer

Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis confirms eight people were arrested at the rally this afternoon, six for felony unlawfully carrying a weapon on licensed premises.
They say they were not on the bar's premises (nor inside the bar), but on adjacent private property.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Open Texas protestors arrested outside of Odessa bar

Sheriff is having a press briefing at 10:00 a.m.  Dying to hear the details on this one.

Another odd thing.  Did they just post those protesters mug shots in jail garb?  Were there priors?  The guy better have some good ancillary reason to bust these guys, or public opinion is going bite him in the ass in several directions.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Sheriff is having a press briefing at 10:00 a.m.  Dying to hear the details on this one.

Another odd thing.  Did they just post those protesters mug shots in jail garb?  Were there priors?  The guy better have some good ancillary reason to bust these guys, or public opinion is going bite him in the ass in several directions.

Another article on the event from Chronicle.  Sheriff claims the protesters were vigilantes, and state troopers were in assistance.

https://www.chron.com/news/article/Owner-armed-men-held-after-bar-reopens-despite-15248661.php

Offline EdinVA

Law enforcement has been under siege for over a decade now and I really don't blame them for "overreacting".
Firearms are not considered a fashion statement, you carry them for only one reason, and Law Enforcement are not mind readers.
There are wrongs on both sides of this but generally, if you go looking for a fight, you will find it.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Law enforcement has been under siege for over a decade now and I really don't blame them for "overreacting".
Firearms are not considered a fashion statement, you carry them for only one reason, and Law Enforcement are not mind readers.
There are wrongs on both sides of this but generally, if you go looking for a fight, you will find it.

Attitudes like that about firearms  are a big part of the problem.

Offline roamer_1

You will have to elaborate, because that ain't so around here.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Sheriff: It’s the law of the land

OAOA.com By Michael Merlo 5/5/2020

https://www.oaoa.com/news/local/article_520b2d78-8f1d-11ea-bd6f-3b0b89933742.html

Ector County Sheriff Mike Griffis during a Tuesday news conference said that the arrests made at Big Daddy Zane’s in West Odessa Monday were of the bar owner for violating Gov. Greg Abbott’s executive order and of protestors carrying weapons on property where alcohol is sold.

After the news conference, Gabrielle Ellison, 47, stood in the Ector County Sheriff’s Office parking lot with a few of her employees holding protest signs. She said bringing a SWAT team was “over forced” and that the armed protesters were on her private property different from the bar.

“It’s separated,” she said, “different taxes, different everything.”

Along with media during the press conference was Open Texas member Philip Archibald, 29, who was not arrested during Monday’s protest, because he was not armed. Archibald questioned Griffis about the TABC code saying, “What about Penal Code 46.035, that states that premises is the building and not the surrounding property, parking lots or anything else?”

In response Griffis read the TABC code saying that the, “Premises are the grounds and all buildings, vehicles and appurtenances pertaining to the grounds including any adjacent premises if they are directly or indirectly under control of the same person.”

More at link.

Offline Idiot

Sheriff: It’s the law of the land

OAOA.com By Michael Merlo 5/5/2020

https://www.oaoa.com/news/local/article_520b2d78-8f1d-11ea-bd6f-3b0b89933742.html
If anyone's been to Odessa you know kind of who lives there.  It's an oil field town and the sheriff is lucky they didn't shoot back.  This is all getting out of control and people are going to get killed at this rate.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
If anyone's been to Odessa you know kind of who lives there.  It's an oil field town and the sheriff is lucky they didn't shoot back.  This is all getting out of control and people are going to get killed at this rate.

This whole thing has gotten confusing.  You have one side claiming property owners rights, which I think has pretty universal support among us conservatives, and then you have LEOs claiming they are armed vigalantes.  My opinion went especially nuetral when (and if true)  the State Police found it within their scope to particpate in the raid.  Let's withhold judgement until some more details come out.