Author Topic: Some Americans Make up for Meat Shortages by Hunting During Pandemic  (Read 365 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
   Some Americans Make up for Meat Shortages by Hunting During Pandemic
By Eric Lendrum • May 4, 2020

As fears spread about possible meat shortages during the coronavirus pandemic due to many meat processing plants being forced to shut down, many Americans are turning to hunting for food themselves, as reported by Reuters.

The story starts with a focus on David Elliott, a 37-year-old emergency manager at the Holy Cross Hospital in Taos, New Mexico, who had recently submitted his paperwork for New Mexico’s “annual elk permit draw.” The article then focuses on numerous other examples from around the country, including teachers and building contractors, as examples of many cases of regular Americans turning to big-game hunting in order to secure their own meat during the shortage.

Reuters reports that there has been a spike in applications for hunting licenses or license sales with various game and fish agencies, from Minnesota to New Mexico. Indiana is reported to have seen a 28 percent increase in the sale of turkey licenses in the first week of this year’s hunting season. In addition, firearm sales have also skyrocketed, with the FBI confirming that 3.74 million background checks for firearms purchases were carried out in March, a historic record for any month in recent memory.

Addressing the fears of a possible meat shortage, President Donald Trump announced that he would be using the Defense Production Act to mandate meat processing facilities to remain open.

more
https://amgreatness.com/2020/05/04/some-americans-make-up-for-meat-shortages-by-hunting-during-pandemic/
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Not just meat shortages, but boredom and fewer outlets for recreation.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline mountaineer

Since I'm not a hunter, I had to check my state's natural resources website to see whether we're in a hunting season right now. Oh joy, it's spring turkey season until May 16! It probably would take until then for me to read all the rules and regulations, though, so I guess I'll just stick to what's available in Kroger's meat department.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline roamer_1

Like that's somehow unusual... However, big game hunting must be restricted to private reserves, and that would be odd... It's calving season for elk and deer - Other than bull/buck culls, I can't imagine much big game hunting going on.

Offline roamer_1

Since I'm not a hunter, I had to check my state's natural resources website to see whether we're in a hunting season right now. Oh joy, it's spring turkey season until May 16! It probably would take until then for me to read all the rules and regulations, though, so I guess I'll just stick to what's available in Kroger's meat department.

I am looking into domestic turkeys right now... How big a flock would be necessary for a sustained 52 bird cull annually... That's a week's worth of meat every month

Offline LegalAmerican

No meat shortage where I live.  Good, for all the hunter! We NEED OUR GUNS.  Elk sausage is very good.