Author Topic: Harris County to close $17M medical shelter at NRG without using it  (Read 460 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Dylan McGuinness April 24, 2020

Harris County Judge Lina Hidalgo said Friday she will close the pop-up medical shelter erected earlier this month at NRG Park, a venture that cost millions of dollars and was set up in case COVID-19 cases surged past existing hospital capacity.

That has not happened, and Hidalgo said health officials now have determined the area’s hospitals can withstand the caseload.

Critics have derided the effort as a waste of money since Commissioners Court approved up to $60 million for the makeshift hospital earlier this month. The county projects it will have actually spent about $17 million when the tents come down, and the Federal Emergency Management Agency has committed to reimbursing 75 percent of that.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/houston/article/Harris-County-to-close-17M-medical-shelter-at-15224560.php

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Re: Harris County to close $17M medical shelter at NRG without using it
« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2020, 08:52:09 pm »
Somebody needs to begin following the money.  What 'contractors' were commissioned, presumably without competitive bidding, to erect this?  Someone connected is getting rich while others suffer.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #2 on: April 27, 2020, 09:00:49 pm »
Somebody needs to begin following the money.  What 'contractors' were commissioned, presumably without competitive bidding, to erect this?  Someone connected is getting rich while others suffer.

I would typically agree, but just think if precautions were not taken, and a NY style plague had taken place?
Sometimes better safe than sorry.

As a safety, health, and env. manager a petrochemical plant, we spent millions in contingency planning expenses.  Pretty much never used, but was good insurance versus a disaster.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2020, 09:02:40 pm by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2020, 11:53:51 am »
I would typically agree, but just think if precautions were not taken, and a NY style plague had taken place?
Sometimes better safe than sorry.

As a safety, health, and env. manager a petrochemical plant, we spent millions in contingency planning expenses.  Pretty much never used, but was good insurance versus a disaster.
Just because it is an emergency does not mean everything is A-OK here.

The likely single source bidding coupled with the known character of the Harris County judge makes it worthwhile to audit this endeavor.  If federal funds were involved, then it is even more imperative.

I commend your position at the plant - that is not an easy job. 
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington