Author Topic: NYT: Nervous Republicans See Trump Sinking, and Taking Senate With Him  (Read 13013 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Nervous Republicans See Trump Sinking, and Taking Senate With Him
[The New York Times]
Jonathan Martin and Maggie Haberman
,The New York Times•April 26, 2020

WASHINGTON — President Donald Trump’s erratic handling of the coronavirus outbreak, the worsening economy and a cascade of ominous public and private polling have Republicans increasingly nervous that they are at risk of losing the presidency and the Senate if Trump does not put the nation on a radically improved course.

The scale of the GOP’s challenge has crystallized in the last week. With 26 million Americans now having filed for unemployment benefits, Trump’s standing in states that he carried in 2016 looks increasingly wobbly: New surveys show him trailing significantly in battleground states like Michigan and Pennsylvania, and he is even narrowly behind in must-win Florida.

Democrats raised substantially more money than Republicans did in the first quarter in the most pivotal congressional races, according to recent campaign finance reports. And while Trump is well ahead in money compared with the presumptive Democratic nominee, Joe Biden, Democratic donors are only beginning to focus on the general election, and several super political action committees plan to spend heavily on behalf of him and the party.

Perhaps most significantly, Trump’s single best advantage as an incumbent — his access to the bully pulpit — has effectively become a platform for self-sabotage.

more
https://www.yahoo.com/news/nervous-republicans-see-trump-sinking-160008532.html
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
This is the NYT. When was the last time they talked to an actual Republican,the 1940's ?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Applewood

IMO, if the Republicans lose control of the senate, it will be because Republicans failed to keep any of their promises to the voters.  I believe that's how the party lost the house.   The senate Republicans didn't learn from the loss of the house, so they will be going too.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Good article from Haberman.  Well worth reading it all.  Thanx for posting it @mystery-ak

IMO, if the Republicans lose control of the senate, it will be because Republicans failed to keep any of their promises to the voters.  I believe that's how the party lost the house.   The senate Republicans didn't learn from the loss of the house, so they will be going too.

@Applewood Not to put you on the spot, because I agree with you, but what would you list as the top three broken promises.

I'll start
1 The economy
2 Ending comprehensive spending bills
3 Presidential oversight.

Online libertybele

Well, I find it very interesting that Biden is who the DEMS are left with.  He's pathetic.  It only means one thing; fraud and corruption are how they are going to win, and they are going to have a VP that's going to be hard to beat -- Michael Obama.  Anyone paying attention realizes that Slow Joe IF nominated, won't be president for very long before he steps down.  Poor guy can't even remember his name most days.
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Well, I find it very interesting that Biden is who the DEMS are left with.  He's pathetic.  It only means one thing; fraud and corruption are how they are going to win, and they are going to have a VP that's going to be hard to beat -- Michael Obama.  Anyone paying attention realizes that Slow Joe IF nominated, won't be president for very long before he steps down.  Poor guy can't even remember his name most days.
Yet another reason to vote the "None of These Candidates" option (that's what Nevada has instead of write-in votes) in November.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline skeeter

Basing conclusions upon your own spin, which is what NYT/Yahoo has done here, will seldom lead to accurate assessments.

Every detail upon which the writers draw upon as supporting their thesis can more accurately be interpreted totally differently. The NYT & Yahoo have not exactly distinguished themselves as paragons of fairness where Trump and republicans are concerned.

Offline Applewood

@Applewood Not to put you on the spot, because I agree with you, but what would you list as the top three broken promises.

I'll start
1 The economy
2 Ending comprehensive spending bills
3 Presidential oversight.

I don't know how I would rank them.   I would say not getting rid of Obamacare, no meaningful tax reform, failure to deal with illegal immigration, and yes, the runaway spending.  (Ok, that's more than three). Now it's kinda hard to keep any promises now that Republicans no longer have the house.  But there was a time when Republicans had majorities in both houses, plus a Republican president.  They didn't do squat. 

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Yet another reason to vote the "None of These Candidates" option (that's what Nevada has instead of write-in votes) in November.

I will write in.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
Re: NYT: Nervous Republicans See Trump Sinking, and Taking Senate With Him
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2020, 12:05:58 am »
I don't know how I would rank them.   I would say not getting rid of Obamacare, no meaningful tax reform, failure to deal with illegal immigration, and yes, the runaway spending.  (Ok, that's more than three). Now it's kinda hard to keep any promises now that Republicans no longer have the house.  But there was a time when Republicans had majorities in both houses, plus a Republican president.  They didn't do squat.

Maybe they wouldn't have lost the House if they had been doing their job.  I think that is what could happen to the Senate now with all this out of control spending.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2020, 12:06:30 am »
He's a placeholder. The VP candidate would be in the oval office (with their feet on the desk, most likely), in three months.

At this point we need to keep that from happening. Without knowing  who Biden's veep pick will be, we need to stop them because there are no good options on that side of the line. Someone gets the sniffles and the Cheka will be roaming the streets.

We need the House, too, so when they 25th Biden (if, God forbid! he gets in), the Speaker (a Pubbie) can move up to VP and not Pelosi. Think about that horror show.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2020, 12:17:43 am »
Maybe they wouldn't have lost the House if they had been doing their job.  I think that is what could happen to the Senate now with all this out of control spending.

That's just it.  By not keeping their promises, Republicans did not do the job they were elected to do.  I remember in 2010, we voters were told "give us the house and we will do this, this and this."  Well, Republicans won the house.  But then it was "give us the senate and we will really do this, this and this."  Didn't happen.  Then Trump was elected.  Still not done.  I believe what has kept Trump popular has been the economy and maybe some executive orders such as getting rid of then Obamacare mandate.  But all those promises still have fallen by the wayside for the most part.  And if the economy does not recover, I believe the Republican Party is doomed.   And that may include Trump.

« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2020, 12:20:39 am »
All good @Applewood  :whistle:
I'm a poet.
Thanx for the reply

Offline Applewood

« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2020, 12:36:05 am »
All good @Applewood  :whistle:
I'm a poet.
Thanx for the reply

:beer:

« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2020, 12:37:14 am »
He's a placeholder. The VP candidate would be in the oval office (with their feet on the desk, most likely), in three months.

At this point we need to keep that from happening. Without knowing  who Biden's veep pick will be, we need to stop them because there are no good options on that side of the line. Someone gets the sniffles and the Cheka will be roaming the streets.

We need the House, too, so when they 25th Biden (if, God forbid! he gets in), the Speaker (a Pubbie) can move up to VP and not Pelosi. Think about that horror show.

The more I see of Biden the more he scares me, but he hasn't been on the daily press conferences, or even the youtube video clips from the late night comedians.  Maybe he'll pull some press oxygen with President Trump in hiding now.  I like your optimism about the House.   :beer:

Offline Absalom

« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2020, 03:33:27 am »
Trump hasn't a principled conservative vein in his little toe,
nor has he ever been a republican, not that this matters.
He is a crony capitalist hustler skilled at the wheeling and dealing
endemic to the NYC Real Estate bizness, a cesspool of corruption, fraud
and waste where bankruptcy filings are as routine as socialites divorcing.
It's a hoot, beyond hysterical, listening to his sycophants heap praise on
him and his mythical business acumen.
Fred, the father, built the business w/his eldest son Fred as his natural successor.
Donald inherited the business only because of the early death of his brother at 41. 

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #17 on: April 27, 2020, 03:44:51 am »
The more I see of Biden the more he scares me, but he hasn't been on the daily press conferences, or even the youtube video clips from the late night comedians.  Maybe he'll pull some press oxygen with President Trump in hiding now.  I like your optimism about the House.   :beer:
Suddenly, everyone is living in the moment, and forgetting all about the megatrends. Daddy Bush (last one term Pubbie) came across as wooden, did the "Read my lips.." thing, and was as loveable as sea urchin. He ran against a guy who had mastered the Elvis sneer, who some women claimed to find attractive, and who was a crafty liar. who had the media in his pocket via some big money.

Biden doesn't exactly win in the 'cute governor' bit and came across as Barack Obama's Ed Mc Mahon (Sorry Ed), a fixture, but not a front man. Hot on the heals of a spike in American Economic greatness, he'd have to climb out of much the same hole Obama left us in. FOr a guy who has trouble with the town he is in or the day of the week, that might not sell him, coming in against a guy who has built it up before, in his personal life (more than once) and as POTUS during a wonderful economic expansion that he can say was brought down by a combination of an unprecedented disease and (yes, I dare say it) Russian collision/fighting with the Saudis over oil.
He has weathered the Shampeachment, has been "investigated" from every angle, even on false pretense, jabs right back at the press. He has the most presentable and gracious first lady we've had in a while. He has faced some of the heaviest opposition from media and the opposition Party we've seen in a century, and is still standing. He isn't a quitter.
For the most part he has left my firearm rights alone. (I never had a bump stock, and that bit did not make me happy), but otherwise, he's been far better than any Democrat would be, considering the whole field of Democrats wants to start with "America's Gun" and a laundry list of others and take them away.
He has been good for industry, generally clearing the way for projects to be completed. Despite someone with time on their hands cutting relatively small holes in the new 'wall', a great deal of that has been upgraded and there are plans to do more. He has done what he alone can do with Obamacare without the help of the House and Senate. Getting Hillary in irons will take a while longer, as the people who are supposed to be investigating wrongdoing are often too busy committing it. That still needs to be cleaned out. 

I am not so afraid of the Democrats, unless they can pull off some massive voter fraud.
But I haven't been wearing a mask either, and made daily forays into the retail world to round up the few things we needed. Let's sort this outbreak, and roll up our sleeves. We have an opportunity to show the world why our way of life did a lot of the heavy lifting to defeat the Axis in WWII, and held off the ambitions of folks like Josef Stalin and Mao Tse Tung.
It's time to rebuild, to clear away the political dross that is holding America down, in the sense that there are still judges to be appointed, a Congress to take back, Democrats who need to be unseated, bureaucracies to clean out, and an economy to rebuild after an unprecedented event. I just don't see any of that getting done with Democrats driving.

I honestly have to believe most of America doesn't either.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #18 on: April 27, 2020, 03:46:03 am »
Fred, the father, built the business w/his eldest son Fred as his natural successor.
Donald inherited the business only because of the early death of his brother at 41.
Now, do an equally praising account of Joe Biden, and we can compare them.  :pop41:

C S Lewis

Online DB

« Reply #19 on: April 27, 2020, 04:14:43 am »
Another presidential election goes by where nearly any likable principled reasonably conservative candidate that can speak coherent sentences could walk away with the election.

Instead we're stuck with a corrosive ego driven populist who's only real accomplishment in politics is not being has bad as the socialists/communists in the other party. Biden is a mental/ethical walking disaster and pretty much everyone knows it yet he remains competitive because of who he's running against. If Biden is somehow incapacitated and/or replaced with someone else it will probably be a landslide for the replacement. That should cause some in the Republican party to reevaluate the situation.

The USA train is heading full speed ahead towards a ravine with no bridge.

But instead the tribal parties will battle it out for a "win" when there is no actual winning for the country with the current path with either tribe.
« Last Edit: April 28, 2020, 12:20:26 am by DB »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #20 on: April 27, 2020, 04:17:09 am »
Another presidential election goes by were nearly any likable principled reasonably conservative candidate that can speak coherent sentences could walk away with the election.

Instead were stuck with a corrosive ego driven populist who's only real accomplishment in politics is not being has bad as the socialists/communists in the other party. Biden is a mental/ethical walking disaster and pretty much everyone knows it yet he remains competitive because of who he's running against. If Biden is somehow incapacitated and/or replaced with someone else it will probably be a landslide for the replacement. That should cause some in the Republican party to reevaluate the situation.

The USA train is heading full speed ahead towards a ravine with no bridge.

But instead the tribal parties will battle it out for a "win" when there is no actual winning for the country with the current path with either tribe.
Pick one, already, to rebuild the economy and deal with the hostile press and corrupt investigators.
Name Names.

C S Lewis

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2020, 04:25:58 am »

@Applewood

Name ONE President in the entire history of the US who has done even half as much,despite a the Dims presenting a united front to prevent it,along with their brothers,the RINO's.

As for the rest of it,how do you think any other candidate would have had more luck against the Dims and their united front,while his fellow alleged Republicans were stabbing him in the back?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2020, 05:04:44 am »
This is the NYT. When was the last time they talked to an actual Republican,the 1940's ?

Agree.  New York Times?     :facepalm:   MORE LEFT, LYING MEDIA.  VOTER SUPPRESSION ARTICLES. 

Offline Absalom

« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2020, 05:11:43 am »
Now, do an equally praising account of Joe Biden, and we can compare them.  :pop41:
-----------------------
Smokin,
Biden has been a fraud and hustler since puberty and the only thing that has
changed, is that he has worsened since.
He is 77 and afflicted w/early dementia, a condition media lefties ignore/obscure.
His specialty is the intake/outflow of graft, for which his son is a prime beneficiary,
as well as the hordes of flunkies grabbing at his pant legs.
He is utterly unprincipled which is why the hard left salivates at the chance to elect him.
That the nation has a choice between these two in November is the essence of the noise
I have been making about the critical malaise that afflicts us as a people and a nation.
Anyway, be well.

Offline LegalAmerican

« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2020, 05:12:11 am »

Wrong. Father Fred built his construction company with DONALD, who did some carpentry and ran heavy equipment. YOUNG Fred was an alcoholic who died from his alcoholism.  He was not sober to work or do anything.  THAT is why POTUS never drinks any alcohol. DON, worked with his mom, when dad Fred died. Don made the success. There were 5 children, and all received some from FATHER Freds inheritance.  Grandpa TRUMP was a legal immigrant, who came with just his suitcase and became a manager of a hotel.  Then married. I see TRUMP ENVY. 

Error 404 (Not Found)!!1