Author Topic: 'Not well-received': Connecticut police department scraps 'pandemic drone' program after outcry  (Read 575 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'Not well-received': Connecticut police department scraps 'pandemic drone' program after outcry
Washington Examiner, Apr 25, 2020

A police department’s plan to use “pandemic drones” crashed and burned before it could even take off.

The Westport Police Department, located in Connecticut’s hardest-hit county of Fairfield, has abandoned its idea to use high-tech drones that can detect symptoms of coronavirus infection from up to 190 feet away. The backtracking came after people expressed privacy concerns about the program.

On Thursday, Police Chief Foti Koskinas and First Selectman Jim Marpe said the drone surveillance plan would not come to fruition because it was “not well-received,” according to Westport News.

“In our good faith effort to get ahead of the virus and potential need to manage and safely monitor crowds and social distancing in this environment, our announcement was perhaps misinterpreted, not well-received, and posed many additional questions,” Marpe said in a statement.

“We heard and respect your concerns and are therefore stepping back and reconsidering the full impact of the technology and its use in law enforcement protocol,” he added.

David McGuire, the American Civil Liberties Union of Connecticut’s executive director, said that the focus should not be on using drones but rather providing adequate healthcare during the coronavirus pandemic.

“We are not hearing a cry for new surveillance technologies,” McGuire said. “The urgent need at the moment, according to public health experts, is to ramp up testing capability, suppress transmission through social distancing measures, and support our hospitals as they face an influx of patients.”

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/not-well-received-connecticut-police-department-scraps-pandemic-drone-program-after-outcry

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
A mannequin with a light bulb would bring one in, but would that be shooting over bait?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The politicians are actually starting to listen. That's a sure sign the virus is on the downslope.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

There should be more than the usual number of Super Soakers and paint ball guns available Westport, CT yard sales the next summer or two.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
The politicians are actually starting to listen. That's a sure sign the virus is on the downslope.
Or the politicians are.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline PeteS in CA

Probably heat helping pols see the light.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
There should be more than the usual number of Super Soakers and paint ball guns available Westport, CT yard sales the next summer or two.

As far as I am concerned, everything under the 400 foot FAA airspace criteria  above my property is my property. 

Drones can enter at their own risk.

I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.