Author Topic: Trump to scale back coronavirus press conferences after disinfectant comment: report  (Read 3433 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump to scale back coronavirus press conferences after disinfectant comment: report
By Brooke Seipel - 04/24/20 06:38 PM EDT

President Trump is reportedly planning to scale back coronavirus task force press briefings, appearing less frequently to discuss the virus, according to a new report from Axios.

Sources tell Axios that Trump may no longer appear at the press conferences daily, and said reducing his speaking time among task force officials has been pushed by top advisers who suggest reducing the often hours-long briefings.

The move would come as Trump faces scrutiny from scientists and medical professionals over his musings at Thursday's coronavirus task force briefing about the possibility of light or disinfectant injections being used to treat patients with the coronavirus.

According to Axios, his advisers have told him the appearances are hurting his poll numbers and "the spectacle of him fighting with the press isn't what people want to see."

more
https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/494604-trump-to-scale-back-coronavirus-press-conferences-after-disinfectant
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Good idea...wish he would have done this sooner..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Cool.  "Sources say." 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Cool.  "Sources say."
Axios is world famous for their sources

Offline Applewood

There really is no good reason for Trump to be at every single briefing.  And given that his performances at some of these briefings have given his enemies ammunition to use against him, perhaps it would be prudent for him to step aside and just be there when there is something really important to announce.  I'm sure VP Pence can run the show without him most of the time. 

If Trump really wants to be re-elected, he should not be doing anything that would hinder that goal.  Maybe Trump supporters think it's cool that he argues with reporters or says things without thinking ("plain speaking?" but for those voters who are not dyed in the wool supporters, Trump's performances at these briefings will not help them decide come November.  Instead of whining about this report being fake news, maybe Trump's supporters and allies should encourage Trump to give up his starring role in these briefings. 

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Whatever's going on, this may be part of it ...

White House, CNN continue fight over press room access in dispute over coronavirus briefings
A White House official reportedly told a CNN reporter to swap seats with a print writer; both journalists refused.
Just the News, Apr 24, 2020

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/white-house-and-cnn-continue-fight-over-press-room-access-dispute-over#.XqOCOxbORZI.twitter

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Great idea, if Trump can't stand it.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
There really is no good reason for Trump to be at every single briefing.  And given that his performances at some of these briefings have given his enemies ammunition to use against him, perhaps it would be prudent for him to step aside and just be there when there is something really important to announce.  I'm sure VP Pence can run the show without him most of the time. 

If Trump really wants to be re-elected, he should not be doing anything that would hinder that goal.  Maybe Trump supporters think it's cool that he argues with reporters or says things without thinking ("plain speaking?" but for those voters who are not dyed in the wool supporters, Trump's performances at these briefings will not help them decide come November.  Instead of whining about this report being fake news, maybe Trump's supporters and allies should encourage Trump to give up his starring role in these briefings.

If Trump isn't there, the briefings would not have anywhere near the ratings, possibly not even aired after a few of them.  Love him or hate him, people watch him for whatever reason.  Good luck convincing him not to do them.  I don't like stamping stories as "fake," but this one is very unlikely.  How many stories have we seen in the past few years about how Trump was going to shut up about something? 

They got the same "Yes please!" comments as this poorly sourced story.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical

One unfortunate effect of this gaffe is it basically nullifies the argument that Biden is less than coherent. All Democrats will have to do is point to this.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
One unfortunate effect of this gaffe is it basically nullifies the argument that Biden is less than coherent. All Democrats will have to do is point to this.

The Rats do that anyway, even if he says something profoundly true and it must be twisted to make it appear stupid.  I've long given up on the "Trump provides powder and shot for their cannons!" trope some time ago, even though it's sometimes undeniable that he did.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Applewood

If Trump isn't there, the briefings would not have anywhere near the ratings, possibly not even aired after a few of them.  Love him or hate him, people watch him for whatever reason.  Good luck convincing him not to do them.  I don't like stamping stories as "fake," but this one is very unlikely.  How many stories have we seen in the past few years about how Trump was going to shut up about something? 

They got the same "Yes please!" comments as this poorly sourced story.

Sorry, but IMHO, these briefings are supposed to be about disseminating important information that we the people should know.  They are not meant to entertain.   Trump's presence at these briefings have turned them into a poor version of The Apprentice or maybe a replacement for his never-ending campaign rallies  At this time of crisis, while people might want entertainment, what they really need is reliable information and guidance.   They aren't getting those with Trump at the podium.

Ok, maybe this article is fake news, but it seems to me Trump's people should be encouraging him to stay away from the briefings unless, as I said, there is something really important to announce.  Why aren't they doing so?  Don't they see the harm this is causing?

Whatever's going on, this may be part of it ...

White House, CNN continue fight over press room access in dispute over coronavirus briefings
A White House official reportedly told a CNN reporter to swap seats with a print writer; both journalists refused.
Just the News, Apr 24, 2020

https://justthenews.com/government/white-house/white-house-and-cnn-continue-fight-over-press-room-access-dispute-over#.XqOCOxbORZI.twitter

Just wanted to repost this as we head into the bash Trump segment of the thread. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Just wanted to repost this as we head into the bash Trump segment of the thread.

It's weird.  One would almost think the people calling for Trump to STFU are the same people trying to force themselves into the briefings.
I will NOT comply.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Cool.  "Sources say."

Axios sources, that is. Very left leaning too.

Trump said everybody should drink plenty of water, so Axios accused him of telling people to drown themselves, according to Jim Acosta and CNN.

Then further reposted to the "Conservative Hub," waiting for the O-CD trolls and disruptors to arrive, from other engagements and assignments.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran

Track record:

How many times have you been wrong, and Trump's supporters been right?

Honestly?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Applewood

Well, I don't know about anyone else here, but my comments were not meant to be bashing and I resent that every time I express an opinion that is contrary to the Trump meme, I am accused of being a "hater," "enemy of the state," "secret Hillary/Biden supporter." etc. etc., ad nauseum. 

Offline Applewood

Track record:

How many times have you been wrong, and Trump's supporters been right?

Honestly?

Fine with me.  Let your hero continue to make an ass of himself at these briefings.  Maybe you don't really want him to win re-election after all. 

Offline skeeter

Well, I don't know about anyone else here, but my comments were not meant to be bashing and I resent that every time I express an opinion that is contrary to the Trump meme, I am accused of being a "hater," "enemy of the state," "secret Hillary/Biden supporter." etc. etc., ad nauseum.

Too bad. Expect it every time you unflatteringly characterize Trump's supporters.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Trump should open the briefing, give the latest info, answer 1 or 2 questions then turn it over to Pence....when he stands there answering sometimes idiotic questions all the MSM is looking for is a gotcha after that...jmo
Support the USO

I didn't post anything remotely resembling your rant--- and I didn't single anyone out. @Applewood   

Feeling the guilt, are you?  888blackhat

Trump should open the briefing, give the latest info, answer 1 or 2 questions then turn it over to Pence....when he stands there answering sometimes idiotic questions all the MSM is looking for is a gotcha after that...jmo

You seem to believe this will stop the Trump bashing in the media.  How is this possible? :laugh:

Offline Applewood

Too bad. Expect it every time you unflatteringly characterize Trump's supporters.

And how did I do that? 

Offline Applewood

I didn't post anything remotely resembling your rant--- and I didn't single anyone out. @Applewood   

Feeling the guilt, are you?  888blackhat

Not feeling anything. 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

I've seen lots of bashing over the past few years, and I didn't think you were bashing.   :shrug:
I will NOT comply.

Not feeling anything.

Nope, not buying it.  Without guilt you wouldn't have jumped all over me @Applewood