Author Topic: Dozens of COVID-19 Cases Have Been Reported in Rural Texas Counties With No Hospitals and No License  (Read 437 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Texas Observer by Lise Olsen 4/23/2020

Dozens of COVID-19 Cases Have Been Reported in Rural Texas Counties With No Hospitals and No Licensed Physicians

So far, more than 100 cases have been reported in counties with only one—or no—licensed physician.

The first reported COVID-19 death in Texas arrived unexpectedly in a rural hospital with just six beds in its tiny ICU. Eddie Roberts, a 97-year-old funeral home owner and World War II veteran, died March 15 at Matagorda Regional Medical Center, a nonprofit hospital operated by a public health district.

Roberts’ death provided an early and rapid introduction to COVID-19 for the small staff of the Bay City hospital. Since then, a total of 55 Matagorda County residents have been diagnosed with the novel coronavirus. As of April 21, reported COVID-19 cases had spread to 198 Texas counties.

Because of the low number of licensed primary care physicians (only 19), Matagorda County remains among one of the state’s hardest-hit rural counties.

But other small counties are even worse off. More than one-fifth of all Texas counties have only one or no primary care physician. So far, more than 100 cases have been reported in counties with only one—or no—licensed physician.

More: https://www.texasobserver.org/covid-19-texas-map-rural/

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
I was once asked once why I didn't go Galt right after retirement, qnd build place in the wilderness.

I responded that after age 60, being far removed from health care is not a sane course of action.  I feel the same 8 years later.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline mountaineer

... Roberts, at 97, had not traveled and had other medical issues.

But staff members at the Matagorda Regional Medical Center eventually ordered tests for COVID-19 for him and his caregiver, a woman in her 60s who was also hospitalized. The results arrived after his death; both Roberts and his caregiver tested positive.
I'd love to know how officials believe that 97 year old man or his caregiver in a tiny rural town may have gotten infected.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

Sensationalism.

Instead of COVID-19, one can place heart attacks, broken bones, or other trauma in that sentence.

It is a fact of life rural areas do not have the medical care more populated areas contain and will ALWAYS be that way.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington