Author Topic: Price gouging eggs? Texas AG sues Cal-Maine, nation’s largest egg distributor  (Read 337 times)

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Blackman April 23, 2020

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is suing America's largest egg producer, accusing it of illegally inflating prices during the coronavirus pandemic.

In a lawsuit announced Thursday, the attorney general said Cal-Maine Foods had driven up prices on generic eggs by 300 percent, despite not having been hindered by the outbreak. Cal-Maine is a vertically integrated company, meaning it controls everything from the chicken to the store shelf.

The price of Cal-Maine's eggs increased from about $1 per dozen to as high as $3.44, according to the lawsuit. That might seem a relatively small increase on its own, but for a company that controls nearly 20 percent of egg sales nationwide, it created a huge profit potential, the lawsuit says.

The state is seeking over $100,000 in damages.

Cal-Maine strongly disputed the allegations, and said they base their pricing off of independent market quotes.

More: https://www.houstonchronicle.com/news/houston-texas/texas/article/Price-gouging-eggs-Texas-AG-sues-Cal-Maine-15222218.php

Online catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
Houston Chronicle by  Jeremy Blackman April 23, 2020

Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton is suing America's largest egg producer, accusing it of illegally inflating prices during the coronavirus pandemic.

Very interesting article.  The line between free market price floating and gouging is a very fine line.  I expect more of this in what may become state vs. state warfare.  Without every bit of data, I really can't pass judgement on this one at this point.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.