Author Topic: Coronavirus government response updates: Trump criticizes Georgia's GOP governor, says 'too soon' to  (Read 368 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/coronavirus-government-response-updates-pelosi-insist-truth-trump/story

Even as he pushed for governors to reopen their states, President Donald Trump on Wednesday criticized the Republican governor of Georgia for his decision to allow several different businesses to reopen Friday amid the novel coronavirus outbreak.

"I told the governor of Georgia, Brian Kemp, that I disagree strongly with his decision to open certain facilities which are in violation of the phase one guidelines for the incredible people of Georgia -- they're incredible people," he said at Wednesday's White House briefing.

Kemp has said he would allow nail salons, massage parlors, bowling alleys and gyms to open on Friday. The president, who apparently called Kemp after his news conference last night, said, "It's just too soon. I think it's too soon. Safety has to predominate."

"I told the governor very simply that I disagree with his decision, but he has to do what he thinks is right," Trump added.

more at link

I think opening up the nail salons, and massage parlors shows Gov Kemp's solidarity with the Chinese people. /sarc

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Kemp defends decision to reopen Georgia after Trump rebuke
MSN, Apr 23, 2020, Washington Examiner

"Earlier today, I discussed Georgia's plan to reopen shuttered businesses for limited operations with [President Trump]," Kemp tweeted. "I appreciate his bold leadership and insight during these difficult times and the framework provided by the White House to safely move states forward.

"Our next measured step is driven by data and guided by state public health officials. We will continue with this approach to protect the lives — and livelihoods — of all Georgians."

Kemp issued an executive order Monday allowing gyms, fitness centers, bowling alleys, body art studios, barbers, cosmetologists, nail technicians and beauty schools to reopen Friday. Theaters, private social clubs and dine-in restaurants can reopen Monday with some restrictions.

Much criticism has been leveled at Kemp since his announcement, mostly from Democrats and scientists who say the Republican governor is opening the state too soon based on COVID-19 data and models.

Trump joined the critics during his daily coronavirus task force briefing Wednesday.

More:  https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/kemp-defends-decision-to-reopen-georgia-after-trump-rebuke/ar-BB135XWy?ocid=spartanntp 

The President expressed concerns that Georgia had not met the gating protocols for Phase I of the reopen guidelines:  14 days with a level or reducing number of infections (Infections are still rising in Georgia).   Add to this the Governor has chosen to reopen by jumping to Phase II. 

Specifically, the President was concerned that strict social distancing may not be possible  in nail salon, barber shop, tattoo parlor (body art), etc. environments.

POTUS did say the ultimate decision is the governor's --- and apparently the governor's decided to go forward with his strategy.

Below is a link to the guidelines for the three phases of reopening-- for both individuals and businesses. 

This is a PowerPoint presentation so it's very easy to read.  https://www.whitehouse.gov/openingamerica/