Author Topic: The world's largest airline parking lot: ...  (Read 454 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The world's largest airline parking lot: ...
« on: April 23, 2020, 02:04:31 pm »
The world's largest airline parking lot: California airfield where America's beleaguered carriers have dumped 400 of their idle jets as they cut thousands of flights amid pandemic
Daily Mail/UK, Apr 23, 2020

Stunning footage has revealed how more than 400 jetliners grounded by the coronavirus pandemic have been parked in the California desert.

Pilot Bryan Keith was given access to fly his Grumman Tiger over the Southern California Logistics Airport in Victorville where the dry climate minimizes the risk of rust.

Planes owned by Southwest, Delta, FedEx and other major commercial and cargo carriers sit idle under the desert sun after having their wings clipped by worldwide lockdowns.

The Victorville facility in California is a decommissioned Air Force base. Last year, Southwest Airlines began storing its fleet of Boeing 737 Max jets there after the airplane was grounded following two fatal crashes.

But now with demand for flights plummeting amid the coronavirus pandemic, and with thousands of aircraft grounded, airlines began to hit an unprecedented problem: finding a place to park them.

The site has the capacity to store up to 500 planes, according to the company that manages it, and is thought to be nearing that.

More:  https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-8247971/Grounded-Stunning-footage-shows-400-passenger-jets-sitting-idle-California-desert.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: The world's largest airline parking lot: ...
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2020, 02:09:37 pm »

Offline Idiot

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2020, 02:41:30 pm »

We have quite a few AA planes parked at our local airport....quite a sight to see.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2020, 02:41:50 pm »
I guess the one that's been in Marana, AZ for years is full....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline SZonian

• Strike without warning
  • 415th Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2020, 07:05:25 pm »
There's also the Mojave airport in CA.
Throwing our allegiances to political parties in the long run gave away our liberty.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2020, 08:07:28 pm »
It's sad.  MY favorite airline, Southwest, keeps sending out emails begging people to fly.  $49 one way at one point.  The last email offered discounts on fall travel.  Really, this a great time to book travel, but sadly, no one knows if we will be back to normal by fall.  Maybe we never will be.   

With most airlines. I'm rather neutral about whether they will survive this or not.  But if Southwest goes belly up, I will be one unhappy camper.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2020, 08:13:16 pm »
I guess the one that's been in Marana, AZ for years is full....

I remember driving by Marana, or something similar on the way to Tuscon.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2020, 08:33:12 pm »
I remember driving by Marana, or something similar on the way to Tuscon.

Yes, it's just north of Tucson.  You can see the parked planes from the I-10.  Just past Tucson on the 10 there's an aircraft boneyard of a different kind.  You can drive up behind Davis-Monthan and see acre after acre of old cut up B-52s and other scrapped aircraft.  Most of it's been hauled away but quite a few derelicts remain.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2020, 09:06:30 pm »
If anyone is wondering where the economy will go in the next year or so?

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2020, 09:24:23 pm »
Applewood wrote:
"With most airlines. I'm rather neutral about whether they will survive this or not.  But if Southwest goes belly up, I will be one unhappy camper."

Off-the-wall prediction:
They're ALL going belly-up unless there's a BIG BIG government bailout.

Show of hands:
Would YOU feel confident getting on a plane now, sitting amongst a crowd, anyone of whom might be "a carrier"?
Face masks or no...?