Author Topic: Coronavirus Kills More Americans in One Month Than the Flu Kills in One Year  (Read 605 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-kills-more-americans-in-one-month-than-the-flu-kills-in-one-year/
Last week The New Atlantis produced a chart that starkly portrays just how quickly COVID-19 became one of the leading causes of death in the United States:

Despite the rapidity with which the coronavirus has killed tens of thousands of Americans, some on the right have continued to argue that the pandemic will end up being no more serious than a bad flu season. On Fox News last week, Bill Bennett said that “we’re going to have fewer fatalities from this than from the flu.” He pointed to the fact that the IMHE model from the University of Washington estimated that COVID-19 would most likely kill about 60,000 Americans and that the seasonal flu killed 61,000 Americans in 2017–18, a particularly bad flu season.

But as Rich Lowry pointed out last week, “if we are going to have 60,000 deaths with people not leaving their homes for more than a month, the number of deaths obviously would have been higher — much higher — if everyone had gone about business as usual.” Indeed, the IMHE model is making an estimate of the death toll only for a first wave of infections, and most of the country will still be vulnerable to infection after the first wave passes.

more at link

When people are thinking this pointing-up maybe the message needs massaging

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Covid 19 is asymptomatic in most people right? Could it be that people are dying of other things, just happened to have covid-19, and the epidemiologists just say they died because of covid-19?

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
https://www.nationalreview.com/2020/04/coronavirus-kills-more-americans-in-one-month-than-the-flu-kills-in-one-year/
more at link

When people are thinking this pointing-up maybe the message needs massaging
Which part? The hockey stick graph or the Babylon Bee's Satire of liberal talking points?

Maybe we should make policy based on MAD Magazine and old National Lampoon movies?
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Covid 19 is asymptomatic in most people right? Could it be that people are dying of other things, just happened to have covid-19, and the epidemiologists just say they died because of covid-19?

Good question.  What I would like to know is whether the overall death rate (from all causes) has increased in the last month or twol 
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Good question.  What I would like to know is whether the overall death rate (from all causes) has increased in the last month or twol
Between "presumptive deaths from COVID-19" and other apparent book-cooking, you don't have a decent baseline.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis