Author Topic: 'Operation Gridlock': Thousands gather at Michigan state capitol to protest Democrat governor's stay  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

'Operation Gridlock': Thousands gather at Michigan state capitol to protest Democrat governor's stay-at-home order
Washington Examiner, Apr 15, 2020

As snow fell across the state of Michigan, thousands of residents gathered around the state capitol building in Lansing to protest Democratic Gov. Gretchen Whitmer's stay-at-home order.

Cars streamed into the capital Wednesday morning as part of "Operation Gridlock," a protest against Whitmer's executive decision to shutter businesses in an attempt to slow the spread of the coronavirus. Protesters say Whitmer has endangered their economic futures and demand answers as to the length and necessity of the shelter-in-place decree.

"There is no reason why she can't be looking at some safe ways to be opening up businesses. Instead of talking about what's essential and nonessential, let's talk about what's safe and not safe," said Meshawn Maddock, a spokesman for the Michigan Conservative Coalition. "Safe businesses and safe workers need to get back to work."

Officials with the Conservative Coalition said they have instructed all participants to remain in cars and adhere to social distancing guidelines although video from on-scene shows citizens milling about outside of vehicles. Michigan State Police have reportedly been told to stand down and not arrest the protesters for refusing to follow the public gathering ban.

Whitmer has been the focus of heavy criticism after she changed her stance on allowing state healthcare workers to prescribe the anti-malaria drug hydroxychloroquine to treat coronavirus patients. The Detroit metro area has been one of the hardest-hit areas in the Unite States with the Johns Hopkins University coronavirus tracker recording more than 20,000 cases of the coronavirus.

“People are basically being told what they can and can’t buy at stores," Conservative Coalition member Matt Seely told News 8. "Nothing makes sense. You can buy a bottle of liquor, but you can’t buy a gallon of paint.”

More:  https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/operation-gridlock-thousands-gather-at-michigan-state-capitol-to-protest-democrat-governors-stay-at-home-order

Upset with Gov. Whitmer, protesters bring Lansing to a halt during 'Operation Gridlock'
Fox 2 Detroit, Apr 15, 2020

LANSING, Mich. - A conservative group upset with the Michigan governor's restrictive shelter-in-place order are protesting Governor Gretchen Whitmer's Stay Home order in Lansing on Wednesday.

The Michigan Conservative Coalition is organized Operation Gridlock in Lansing today. Hundreds, perhaps thousands, of people drove into Lansing and have surrounded the Michigan Capitol Building to create a traffic jam - a symbolic gesture of disagreement with Gretchen Whitmer's Stay Safe, Stay Home directive.

"We are all concerned for those afflicted with COVID 19.  Yes, many of the personal behaviors we have been reminded to use are good practices.  Wash your hands. Cover your cough. Stay home if you are sick," read a note on the MCC's website. "That said,  Michiganders are fed up!"

Arguing that more emphasis be placed on reopening business, many residents are worried the restrictive social distancing measures add only a marginal benefit at the expense of the state's economy.

The protest was supposed to start at noon but people were already packing the roads by 9 a.m. and hundreds of people were standing in front of the Capitol and not social distancing, despite the Facebook event page requesting they stay in their cars. More drivers were jammed on Capitol Ave, where the one-way three-lane road was bumper to bumper for several miles north of the Capitol.

More:  https://www.fox2detroit.com/news/upset-with-gov-whitmer-protesters-bring-lansing-to-a-halt-during-operation-gridlock

Who knew the breakout would begin in Michigan?   :patriot:

Half protest, half Trump rally is how I would characterize #OperationGridlock in Michigan. Protesters echo “Half Whit”nickname @realDonaldTrump bestowed on Gov. Whitmer, call on her to reopen the economy. pic.twitter.com/ui8Y4JFVDS— Malachi Barrett (@PolarBarrett) April 15, 2020

Offline libertybele

Well, Michigan has over 26,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with Wayne (Detroit) county being hit the hardest with over 12,000 cases.  3 other counties; Oakland, Genesee and Macomb, combined have appx. 10,000 cases.

It will be interesting to see what happens when and IF MI becomes as bad as NY or NJ.  Will they then be blaming the governor that she didn't do enough?

Bottom line and I definitely get it, 1st amendment rights have been trampled on BIGLY!   
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 05:43:47 pm by libertybele »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Catching the rona to own the libs

Offline libertybele

How many other states will follow? I'm wondering if FL will be next?  DeSantis isn't exactly scoring any points here.

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

LOLGOP @LOLGOP
It's hard to think of a more Republican response to a Republican failure to protect us from a pandemic than to block the streets so an ambulance can't get through during a plague.

Offline libertybele

LOLGOP @LOLGOP
It's hard to think of a more Republican response to a Republican failure to protect us from a pandemic than to block the streets so an ambulance can't get through during a plague.

Except Governor Gretchen is a DEM.  Just sayin'

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher

If these had been dims, the MSM would call this heroic public peaceful discourse.
GOP and regular folks?  They'll paint it as domestic terrorism.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Well, Michigan has over 26,000 confirmed cases of COVID-19 with Wayne (Detroit) county being hit the hardest with over 12,000 cases.  3 other counties; Oakland, Genesee and Macomb, combined have appx. 10,000 cases.

What does this have to do with the Governor proclaiming you can buy liquor but not paint @libertybele

Online Hoodat

It will be interesting to see what happens when and IF MI becomes as bad as NY or NJ.  Will they then be blaming the governor that she didn't do enough?

Bottom line and I definitely get it, 1st amendment rights have been trampled on BIGLY!

It is the Michigan State Constitution that is being violated here:  https://ballotpedia.org/Article_I,_Michigan_Constitution

Article 1, Sec 1:  All political power is inherent in the people. Government is instituted for their equal benefit, security and protection.

Article 1, Sec 3:  The people have the right peaceably to assemble, to consult for the common good

Article 1, Sec 4:  Every person shall be at liberty to worship God according to the dictates of his own conscience. No person shall be compelled to attend, or, against his consent, to contribute to the erection or support of any place of religious worship

Article 1, Sec 10:  No bill of attainder, ex post facto law or law impairing the obligation of contract shall be enacted.

Article 1, Sec 12:  The privilege of the writ of habeas corpus shall not be suspended unless in case of rebellion or invasion the public safety may require it.

Article 1, Sec 17:  No person shall be compelled in any criminal case to be a witness against himself, nor be deprived of life, liberty or property, without due process of law. The right of all individuals, firms, corporations and voluntary associations to fair and just treatment in the course of legislative and executive investigations and hearings shall not be infringed
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

What part of Republican's blocking ambulances am I not communicating properly?

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
What part of Republican's blocking ambulances am I not communicating properly?

Not good......
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline libertybele

What does this have to do with the Governor proclaiming you can buy liquor but not paint @libertybele

Not the point I was making @Right_in_Virginia   The point being that they are protesting primarily over the stay at home orders --- like it or not they have a very high number of cases, that's all I'm saying.  How many will complain if they or a loved one gets sick and the governor didn't make any kind of stay at home orders? That's all I'm wondering and stating.

Like it or not the fact remains that Trump's medical team urged social distancing and shelter at home.  DeSantis did hold out and people were complaining and finding fault with him for not closing the beaches sooner, etc.,  and later afterwards he conceded and issued stay at home orders.

Right now, the President and governors are in a no win situation.  However, our first amendment rights ARE being thrown out the window -- trillions of dollars have been spent and on our economy has been stalled (at best).

Offline libertybele

Not good......

My point being is there is a possibility that there are DEMS among the protesters. 
« Last Edit: April 15, 2020, 07:32:23 pm by libertybele »

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Not the point I was making @Right_in_Virginia   The point being that they are protesting primarily over the stay at home orders --- like it or not they have a very high number of cases, that's all I'm saying.  How many will complain if they or a loved one gets sick and the governor didn't make any kind of stay at home orders? That's all I'm wondering and stating.

Like it or not the fact remains that Trump's medical team urged social distancing and shelter at home.  DeSantis did hold out and people were complaining and finding fault with him for not closing the beaches sooner, etc.,  and later afterwards he conceded and issued stay at home orders.

Right now, the President and governors are in a no win situation.  However, our first amendment rights ARE being thrown out the window -- trillions of dollars have been spent and on our economy has been stalled (at best).

I'm still scratching my head wondering how prohibiting people from buying paint and seeds in Alpena and Houghton helps "bend the curve" in Deetroit.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
I'm still scratching my head wondering how prohibiting people from buying paint and seeds in Alpena and Houghton helps "bend the curve" in Deetroit.

Or how in some of the same states, people can still buy recreational cannabis. 

My point being is there is a possibility that there are DEMS among the protesters.
Balderdash.  This is a GOP pro-coronavirus rally against a rat Gov.  Make Rona Great Again!

Offline libertybele

Of course it isn't.    Just like prohibiting people from buying seeds in SWFL isn't helping to bend the curve over on the east coast in Miami.  I understand the protest, absolutely, but I also see the benefit of social distancing.   Things have been taken to an extreme -- and that extreme has been applied to all.  That's become a significant problem.  Added to that now the political manipulation that has occurred is even more problematic.

I'm just taking FL as an example -- DeSantis delayed the suggestions of Trump and his medical team and kept the beaches open and restaurants open with limited serving capacity, well at least for a day or two and didn't mandate sheltering in, until people in FL started complaining.  So, we're now sheltered in and people are starting to complain that enough is enough; so in that instance it becomes a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation.  However, there is no denying that we now have 4 stores located in the beach areas that have employees who have tested positive for the virus -- last I had heard they were going to shutter them. Yes, people are complaining that DeSantis didn't close the beaches soon enough.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Of course it isn't.    Just like prohibiting people from buying seeds in SWFL isn't helping to bend the curve over on the east coast in Miami.  I understand the protest, absolutely, but I also see the benefit of social distancing.   Things have been taken to an extreme -- and that extreme has been applied to all.  That's become a significant problem.  Added to that now the political manipulation that has occurred is even more problematic.

I'm just taking FL as an example -- DeSantis delayed the suggestions of Trump and his medical team and kept the beaches open and restaurants open with limited serving capacity, well at least for a day or two and didn't mandate sheltering in, until people in FL started complaining.  So, we're now sheltered in and people are starting to complain that enough is enough; so in that instance it becomes a damn if you do and damn if you don't situation.  However, there is no denying that we now have 4 stores located in the beach areas that have employees who have tested positive for the virus -- last I had heard they were going to shutter them. Yes, people are complaining that DeSantis didn't close the beaches soon enough.

The vast majority of the protestors in Lansing never got out of their cars.  By Proclamation of the Governess those cars (over 10,000 according to MSP) could have been ticketed, based on how many people were in the car.  For some reason they opted not to do it.

I understand there were arrests and jailing of people protesting in North Carolina.

We talk about the cure being worse than the disease, can we find better examples?  Good thing for Witless she's not up for reelection until 2022.  I still wonder how prohibiting commerce in Bullhead City helps Phoenix.  Fortunately, if I find myself thinking about it too much I can always drive to California to score some legal weed.....
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed: