Author Topic: Drowning deaths of Robert F. Kennedy's granddaughter and her son ruled an accident  (Read 856 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Drowning deaths of Robert F. Kennedy's granddaughter and her son ruled an accident
by Zachary Halaschak
 | April 14, 2020 04:35 PM

Robert F. Kennedy’s granddaughter and his great-grandson drowned to death in a canoeing accident, officials in Maryland have ruled.

Maeve Kennedy Townsend McKean, 40, and her 8-year-old son Gideon went missing early this month after the two went canoeing in the Chesapeake Bay. The family had been quarantining because of the coronavirus pandemic at a family house in Maryland when they reportedly got into the water in an attempt to retrieve a stray ball.

McKean’s body was found three days after the duo went missing. She was found about 2.5 miles away from the home and submerged in 25 feet of water. Underwater imaging sonar technology was used to locate her remains. Gideon’s body was found the following day, submerged about 2,000 feet from where his mother was discovered.

A spokesman with the Maryland Department of Health said in a statement to the Washington Examiner that officials found the deaths to be accidental.

more
https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/news/drowning-deaths-of-robert-f-kennedys-granddaughter-and-her-son-ruled-an-accident
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Any needless death is sad.

An 8 year old might be a great swimmer, or not. Maybe water conditions were more risky than the pair was prepared for.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Can I call BS on this story? Who the heck gets into the water this time of year when it's still freezing? Who launches a canoe just to go retrieve a ball?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Can I call BS on this story? Who the heck gets into the water this time of year when it's still freezing? Who launches a canoe just to go retrieve a ball?

The day was also quite windy and the water very choppy.  Who does this to retrieve a ball?  A Kennedy.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Gideon’s body was found the following day, submerged about 2,000 feet from where his mother was discovered.

I'm relieved for the family.

Offline musiclady

Arrogant, entitled people?

The shame is when an 8 year old is sacrificed because of that arrogance.  This is a tragedy all around.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
I agree. The story is very weird.
Seems like those Kennedys cannot seem to shake the curse.
Even down to the great-grandson level.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Neverdul

• Moderator Gubernatorial and State Races

An 8 year old might be a great swimmer, or not. Maybe water conditions were more risky than the pair was prepared for.

In looking at the map where this tragedy happened I’m guessing, and this is just my guess, that she thought it was safe because the cove was protected and somewhat sheltered and the water probably looked relatively calm. But what she may not have accounted for was that the wind (and it was very windy that day) was blowing the water out of the cove and into the Bay and a woman and 8-year old in a canoe were not strong enough to paddle against the unseen current, akin to a rip tide that pushed them out of the creek and into the Bay were they were likely overwhelmed and or panicked in trying to get back to safety.
So This Is How Liberty Dies, With Thunderous Applause

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.

Three foot swells are a lot harder to swim in than a swimming pool. Small craft warnings went unheeded and they took a canoe to retrieve a ball that had gone overboard, apparently without PFDs. In any body of water, but especially the Chesapeake Bay, that is a recipe for disaster.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

This story stinks.  I want to know who is the survivor who reported the story of the lost ball, but didn't think to stop them getting in the canoe without life-preservers.  My FIL owns a boat.  We always wear life-preservers on it even though it's large enough to comfortable seat 12, and even though we are all skilled swimmers, to set an example for our children.  My children wear helmets to ride their bikes.  Something doesn't add up here. 

Offline catfish1957

• If you are a democrat.... You are my enemy. We will never forget May 30, 2024. FJB
  • Political Researcher
This story stinks.  I want to know who is the survivor who reported the story of the lost ball, but didn't think to stop them getting in the canoe without life-preservers.  My FIL owns a boat.  We always wear life-preservers on it even though it's large enough to comfortable seat 12, and even though we are all skilled swimmers, to set an example for our children.  My children wear helmets to ride their bikes.  Something doesn't add up here.

Taking basically a canoe out into the ocean is called an accident?  Hmmmmm.....
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...

I remember falling into a shallow creek in late winter once. Though not deep falling into it soaked me pretty good. The water was so cold it hurt.

Grew up on the upper Mississippi, a large enough body of water to respect it and instinctively know you just didn't go out on it in late winter/early spring, especially in a canoe.

Not to mention the Kennedys are a boating family. I'm just dumbfounded at this.
The Republic is lost.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Free Vulcan

Can I call BS on this story?

You can if you don't mind being wrong.

Who the heck gets into the water this time of year when it's still freezing?

The water wasn't freezing,and the air temp was probably in the  60's.

Who launches a canoe just to go retrieve a ball?

A JFK offsprung. The ball was probably smarter than she was.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Seems like those Kennedys cannot seem to shake the curse.
Even down to the great-grandson level.

@240B

That's the sort of thing you can expect after a few generations of Trust Fund Money marrying Trust Fund Money.

Offline Smokin Joe

Even 70 degree water will make a kid hypothermic in short order.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline dfwgator

@240B

That's the sort of thing you can expect after a few generations of Trust Fund Money marrying Trust Fund Money.

But they know what's best for us.

Offline Idiot

Wow....2 people dead and people joke about it.  Sounds pretty tragic to me...  Prayers for the family.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
Wow....2 people dead and people joke about it.  Sounds pretty tragic to me...  Prayers for the family.

@mrpotatohead

I don't mind joking about it at all because the little retard was a Kennedy from Mass,and a potential future danger to the Republic.

Hell,his mother had been a Lt Governor,and she was so freaking stupid she took her kid out in water with 2 foot waves in a freaking canoe to retrieve a ball that cost less than 5 dollars.

To add ice cream to the top of that treat,neither she nor he was wearing a life vest.

Offline Smokin Joe

@mrpotatohead

I don't mind joking about it at all because the little retard was a Kennedy from Mass,and a potential future danger to the Republic.

Hell,his mother had been a Lt Governor,and she was so freaking stupid she took her kid out in water with 2 foot waves in a freaking canoe to retrieve a ball that cost less than 5 dollars.

To add ice cream to the top of that treat,neither she nor he was wearing a life vest.
Yep. That's a string of events any 10 year old who grew up on the water would have avoided like the plague--and would have told adults the same.

C S Lewis

Offline Applewood

@mrpotatohead

To add ice cream to the top of that treat, neither she nor he was wearing a life vest.

@sneakypete

I guess this is why I haven't said RIP or offered prayers or condolences.  If I did any of those things, it would be phony.

Bottom line is that since the deaths of JFK and RFK,  the tragedies that have befallen the Kennedy family were directly the result of their own poor judgment of the victims.  I keep wondering when the family is going to realize that all the money in the world is not going to save you from your own stupidity.

Offline Smokin Joe

@sneakypete

I guess this is why I haven't said RIP or offered prayers or condolences.  If I did any of those things, it would be phony.

Bottom line is that since the deaths of JFK and RFK,  the tragedies that have befallen the Kennedy family were directly the result of their own poor judgment of the victims.  I keep wondering when the family is going to realize that all the money in the world is not going to save you from your own stupidity.
It won't, but it will buy the services of those who generally will, for a while, at least.

C S Lewis

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

@sneakypete

Really?  I'm not bragging and I'm not ashamed to say I said a prayer for Gideon.  If I was good Christian I should say one for the mother but I'm judgemental.

Offline Idiot

Really?  I'm not bragging and I'm not ashamed to say I said a prayer for Gideon.  If I was good Christian I should say one for the mother but I'm judgemental.
If not for the grace of God go I.....

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
I too prayed for both of them..not embarrassed to say so...

I will say this...how much to replace a soccer ball..$25 bucks...I just can't get past that, that they had to chase the ball in a canoe...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline musiclady

I too prayed for both of them..not embarrassed to say so...

I will say this...how much to replace a soccer ball..$25 bucks...I just can't get past that, that they had to chase the ball in a canoe...

There is no way an 8 year old should be blamed for the family he was born into.

This is a great tragedy, a completely senseless tragedy, no matter what the family name is.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.