Author Topic: Trump falsely claims that 'when somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is tot  (Read 4987 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-claims-president-authority-is-total-2020-4

President Donald Trump claimed on Monday that "when somebody is the president of the United States," their "authority is total."

(Fact check: This is untrue, according to the United States Constitution.)

Trump made the statement during Monday's daily coronavirus task force briefing.

When a reporter asked him how he would compel governors to reopen their states' economies during the outbreak, Trump responded, "When somebody is the president of the United States, the authority is total. And that's the way it's got to be."

Earlier Monday, the governors of California, Washington, and Oregon said they were working together on a West Coast plan to safely reopen those states, and New York Gov. Andrew Cuomo unveiled a multi-state coalition to coordinate on ways to reopen the region's economy as the spread of the virus becomes more manageable.

more at link

https://twitter.com/Liz_Cheney/status/1249845408127488000

Liz Cheney @Liz_Cheney
The federal government does not have absolute power.

“The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.” United States Constitution, Amendment X
6:42 PM · Apr 13, 2020

What say you BRiefers?

Offline Hoodat

What was Trump's actual statement?  The link doesn't say.

Finally found it.  Just need the context.  Where is the question he was responding to, and what was his full response?
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:03:29 am by Hoodat »
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

What was Trump's actual statement?  The link doesn't say.
It's from today's press conference. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHwjmD3f74

Offline Hoodat

It's from today's press conference. 

www.youtube.com/watch?v=gSHwjmD3f74

Thank you for posting that video, @Once-Ler .  It proves the claim of the article to be pure bullshit.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline EdinVA

The President has declared a National State of emergency for this virus thing and that gives the tons of authority to regulate commerce etc.
Cannot find a clear write up on this... Maybe someone else can...

Thank you for posting that video, @Once-Ler .  It proves the claim of the article to be pure bullshit.
drinking early? I'll try to catch up. :beer:
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:11:55 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Hoodat

Trump said that the president has the authority to do with the president has authority to do. He also said that the leader of any state not opening up their state will pay a political cost from their voters. He did not say that he had authority over them. More fake news.

Trump said that the president has the authority to do with the president has authority to do. He also said that the leader of any state not opening up their state will pay a political cost from their voters. He did not say that he had authority over them. More fake news.

I've given you the video, I can't make you watch it, I can't understand it for you, and I can't make you argue honestly.  You should delete your post, but I can't do that for you either.

Offline LilLamb

• Are we there yet?
I took this as the President doing a shot over the bow to get Democrats to toe the line.  Pence alluded to the fact that during a national emergency the President has more power and he does because he can declare martial law. I don’t think he would do it, but if the Dems try to sabotage the economy playing politics it is possible.
"When you can't make them see the light, make them feel the heat."  Ronald Reagan

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
https://www.businessinsider.com/coronavirus-trump-claims-president-authority-is-total-2020-4

more at link

What say you BRiefers?

DJT declaring absolute and total governmental authority?

“When somebody is president of the United States, the authority is total,” Trump said at the White House. “The governors know that.”

Epic Fail....   If this was the intent and interpretation, I challenge ANY Briefer to defend this!!!!!!!!

« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 02:52:33 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Absalom

more at link

What say you BRiefers?
---------------------------
The soulmate of abysmal ignorance is humongous arrogance but
you'll never hear a peep from Trump's Fan Club who are all in forever.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:34:29 am by Absalom »

DJT declaring absolute and total governmental authority?

“When somebody is president of the United States, the authority is total,” Trump said at the White House. “The governors know that.”

Epic Fail....   If this was the intent and interpretation, I challenge ANY Briefer to defend this!!!!!!!!

When I was a Republican they supported State's Rights.  Long live the spineless unanimous party.

So far Liz Chaney is the only Republican who has condemned President Trump's absolute authority. 
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 03:14:47 am by Once-Ler »

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
When I was a Republican they supported State's Rights.  Long live the spineless unanimous party.

So far Liz Chaney is the only Republican who has condemned President Trump's absolute authority.

I think DJT opened mouth and inserted foot on this one.  This by far his largest and grandest gaffe.  It will be interesting to see how he walks this one back. 
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher

We can discuss semantics all you want, but at literal level I see this as his application of thinking that the Executive branch overrides, Judical, Legislative, and STATES RIGHTS.  Words like these have not been spoken by a POTUS since 1861. 

Abet, hopefully he'll come back with a full reversal, and say he misspoke. 

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !
One day I am applauding Trump for wanting to remove WHO funding, the next day this crap... I want off the see-saw....
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Offline dancer

more at link

What say you BRiefers?

Better fact check that Constitution again.  The founders gave the President unpresidented powers during a National Emergency.

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Better fact check that Constitution again.  The founders gave the President unpresidented powers during a National Emergency.

@dancer

Founders?...  Sorry.....The The National Emergencies Act wasn't even promulgated until 1976.... 

Sweeping POTUS takeover wasn't  called during the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic.  Smallpox, Cholera, Flu, Polio, Typhoid, Yellow Fever all reeked havoc here during the 18th and 19th century, wthout POTUS absolute intervention. So sorry you are sadly mistaken thinking precedent has been set for Trump's actions.

In history, only the Whisky Rebellion by George Washington in 1791, Lincoln's actions in 1861-1865, FDR's follies 1932-1945, and some of Andrew Jackson's 1830's forays meet what you are calling as a Founding Father's constitutionally sanctioned process.

Try again, that doesn't fly.....   especially for conservatives.

@dancer

Founders?...  Sorry.....The The National Emergencies Act wasn't even promulgated until 1976.... 

Sweeping POTUS takeover wasn't  called during the 1918 Spanish Flu Pandemic.  Smallpox, Cholera, Flu, Polio, Typhoid, Yellow Fever all reeked havoc here during the 18th and 19th century, wthout POTUS absolute intervention. So sorry you are sadly mistaken thinking precedent has been set for Trump's actions.

In history, only the Whisky Rebellion by George Washington in 1791, Lincoln's actions in 1861-1865, FDR's follies 1932-1945, and some of Andrew Jackson's 1830's forays meet what you are calling as a Founding Father's constitutionally sanctioned process.

Try again, that doesn't fly.....   especially for conservatives.
goopo

Offline Applewood

Oh I've heard and read people trying to explain and gloss over the president's remarks and maybe he was only referring to his emergency powers.  But that's another example of the problem I've always had with Trump -- much of the time I don't know what he's saying or trying to say. 

Whatever the explanation -- I can see his words not only causing problems now in getting the country back on its feet.  I can see the Democrats using his words against him once the presidential campaign resumes.  I don't think the independents and undecideds are too happy.  Surely, any true conservative would be nervous. 

Offline deb

• Sinner saved by grace.
One day I am applauding Trump for wanting to remove WHO funding, the next day this crap... I want off the see-saw....

I feel exactly the same.
Parts of that press conference were brilliant. But that just has me shaking my head.  **nononono*
Brothers, sisters, come on down to that river
Guaranteed you'll never be the same
There's a fountain flowing from the heart of the Savior
Bring your sins and all your guilty stains
Let that river of life wash it all away

River of Life - Mac Powell

Offline catfish1957

• Political Researcher
Oh I've heard and read people trying to explain and gloss over the president's remarks and maybe he was only referring to his emergency powers.  But that's another example of the problem I've always had with Trump -- much of the time I don't know what he's saying or trying to say. 

Whatever the explanation -- I can see his words not only causing problems now in getting the country back on its feet.  I can see the Democrats using his words against him once the presidential campaign resumes.  I don't think the independents and undecideds are too happy.  Surely, any true conservative would be nervous.

Well put.

Trump has missed a great opportunity to truly come across as a leader.  His pressers should be comprised of

(1) him with an opening statement of inspiration and hope
(2) turning over the entire technical aspect of the questioning  to his experts
(3) him with a closing statement of inspiration and hope.

The hallmark of an effective executive is the ability to guide the ship a 1000 miles away .....  Not navigate every white cap and eddy.

His bickering with the lame stream media is especially disconcerning.  Don't get in the mud with them.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 12:12:03 pm by catfish1957 »

Offline mountaineer

Lawyerforlaws  @lawyer4laws
The Same People who demanded Pres. Trump demand every state to shut down . .
Are now Complaining that Pres. Trump will Abuse his Power by demanding States to Open the Economy . .
 :pondering:
10:42 AM · Apr 14, 2020
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline skeeter

I feel exactly the same.
Parts of that press conference were brilliant. But that just has me shaking my head.  **nononono*

It's possible the president was bluffing. With all the leftists out there talking about 6, 8, 18 month shutdowns.

He's done this kind of thing before.

It'd be nice if the usual characters displayed the same level of outrage at the daily offenses politicians - mostly leftists - are committing against the Constitution in the name of this virus.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2020, 04:08:10 pm by skeeter »

It's possible the president was bluffing. With all the leftists out there talking about 6, 8, 18 month shutdowns.

He's done this kind of thing before.
Thanx for your comment @skeeter
I agree, it is important to recognize this is just talking, and the actual actions of the Federal Government, with the 15 day and 30 day guidelines are voluntary.  The shock value is in how completely alien "total authority" is to my understanding of the Constitution, and how few "conservatives" have spoken out in defense of the Constitution.  I'd comment on the spinelessness of the uniparty, but there are no shortages of rats who have recognized the Constitution's separation of powers, and 10th Amendment.

Offline mountaineer

how few "conservatives" have spoken out in defense of the Constitution.
They're out there. I've certainly seen such commentary on Facebook, twitter and elsewhere.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org