Author Topic: Small Chloroquine Study Halted Over Risk of Fatal Heart Complications  (Read 1115 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/04/12/health/chloroquine-coronavirus-trump.html

April 12, 2020

A small study in Brazil was halted early for safety reasons after coronavirus patients taking a higher dose of chloroquine developed irregular heart rates that increased their risk of a potentially fatal heart arrhythmia.

Chloroquine is closely related to the more widely used drug hydroxychloroquine. President Trump has enthusiastically promoted them as a potential treatment for the novel coronavirus despite little evidence that they work, and despite concerns from some of his top health officials. Last month, the Food and Drug Administration granted emergency approval to allow hospitals to use chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine from the national stockpile if clinical trials were not feasible. Companies that manufacture both drugs are ramping up production.

The Brazilian study involved 81 hospitalized patients in the city of Manaus and was sponsored by the Brazilian state of Amazonas. It was posted on Saturday at medRxiv, an online server for medical articles, before undergoing peer review by other researchers. Because Brazil’s national guidelines recommend the use of chloroquine in coronavirus patients, the researchers said including a placebo in their trial — considered the best way to evaluate a drug — was an “impossibility.”

More at link

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Small Chloroquine Study Halted Over Risk of Fatal Heart Complications
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2020, 11:00:28 am »
Dr. Zelenko said heart arrytmia was very rare and he had never seen it in the hundreds of patients he has treated, so someone may well be deceiving.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2020, 11:56:54 am »
So here's what gets me about people losing their damn minds over using this malaria medicine in the treatment of the virus and the potential side effects...have none of the critics watched ANY of the commercials for the next wonder drug that air on television?

Holy crap the list of side effects (to include death) take up half the commercial.

No one is 1/10th as concerned about those as they are this medicine. 

But then there's not a political agenda behind not using those meds like there is this one.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline aligncare

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2020, 12:38:04 pm »
So here's what gets me about people losing their damn minds over using this malaria medicine in the treatment of the virus and the potential side effects...have none of the critics watched ANY of the commercials for the next wonder drug that air on television?

Holy crap the list of side effects (to include death) take up half the commercial.

No one is 1/10th as concerned about those as they are this medicine. 

But then there's not a political agenda behind not using those meds like there is this one.

The longer this goes on, the more convinced I am the Left has won and America is irreconcilably fractured. Adios America.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2020, 12:56:52 pm »
"...  taking a higher dose of chloroquine"

What do you expect then? Don't abuse the drugs.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2020, 12:59:53 pm »
The longer this goes on, the more convinced I am the Left has won and America is irreconcilably fractured. Adios America.
Yes, America is divided into two main camps. One that only cares about being in power, (and to hell with America and Americans so long as they get that power), and another, which while it may be somewhat similarly afflicted, does not have the problem so badly that they are willing to completely sacrifice the Country they want to run.

Unfortunately, the former group is running the media--the tools of public opinion, and will use any means necessary to achieve the control they have shown themselves to be unfit to command.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 01:00:43 pm »
"...  taking a higher dose of chloroquine"

What do you expect then? Don't abuse the drugs.
Good catch. Too much of a good thing can kill you, even water.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online dfwgator

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2020, 01:01:58 pm »
Good catch. Too much of a good thing can kill you, even water.

DHMO - Get the Facts!
http://dhmo.org/

Offline Smokin Joe

C S Lewis

Offline libertybele

« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2020, 01:16:37 pm »
As a heart patient, I do know that my doctor will no longer prescribe the Zpack -- something about it not recommended for cardio patients. I'm wondering if its the combination Zpack and chloroquine that is causing the fatal heart complications?
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2020, 01:24:46 pm »
If Barack Obama were President and he had proposed the same course of treatment, the New York Times would have him up for a Nobel Prize in medicine and quite possibly, sainthood.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2020, 01:26:16 pm »
As a heart patient, I do know that my doctor will no longer prescribe the Zpack -- something about it not recommended for cardio patients. I'm wondering if its the combination Zpack and chloroquine that is causing the fatal heart complications?
Perhaps, but the article said "higher dosages" were used. Now, that doesn't say what those dosages were higher than, but that would indicate to me they were higher than the 200mg twice daily of chloroquine recommended by doctors who developed the regimen. I would think that higher dosages than ordinarily used would invite more extreme side effects, or even cause the onset thereof.

A little quick digging on the Z-pack provided this: Azithromycin ‘Z-packs’ tied to potentially fatal arrhythmia
The FDA said in a statement it’s updating all azithromycin labels to reflect the results of the two studies, pinpointing an arrhythmia known as torsades de pointes as the main culprit. Torsades de pointes, a polymorphic ventricular tachycardia characterized by a long QT interval, is a rare arrhythmia but remains one that can be fatal.
and perhaps some other macrolide antibiotic could be substituted which would have the same idiopathic viral replication retardation effect without causing the side effects but:
Other drugs in the macrolide class, as well as non-macrolide medications like fluoroquinolones, also have the potential to prolong the QT interval, the agency said, and those risks should be taken into account when mapping out a patient’s drug regimen.

>snip< and
Patients at a particular risk for arrhythmias include those with known prolongation of the QT interval or those taking other drugs that could prolong the QT interval, as well as patients with ongoing proarrhythmic conditions like uncorrected hypokalemia, hypomagnesemia and clinically significant bradycardia.

C S Lewis

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2020, 02:03:49 pm »
If Barack Obama were President and he had proposed the same course of treatment, the New York Times would have him up for a Nobel Prize in medicine and quite possibly, sainthood.

:yowsa: Absolutely!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2020, 02:13:28 pm »
Given the lack of a scientific control group, would this study have been a value to anyone anyway?
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2020, 03:06:04 pm »
Dr. Zelenko said heart arrytmia was very rare and he had never seen it in the hundreds of patients he has treated, so someone may well be deceiving.

Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been in use since WW2 and probably before (it was discovered/created in 1934). Proper dosing, side effects, and contraindications for certain types of health problems are very well known. For example, a person who already has heartbeat irregularities probably would not be given (hydroxy)chloroquine. So Dr. Zelenko has probably been administering the drug with greater knowledge/understanding of the drug and his patients (some heartbeat irregularities can be found in 2 minutes or fewer by simply counting a person's pulse).
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline PeteS in CA

« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2020, 03:10:17 pm »
Given the lack of a scientific control group, would this study have been a value to anyone anyway?

Few or none of current treatment of patient groups would be considered a controlled study by the FDA. The FDA's whole drug and equipment approval process and culture is ill-suited for responding swiftly to a pandemic.
If, as anti-Covid-vaxxers claim, https://www.poynter.org/fact-checking/2021/robert-f-kennedy-jr-said-the-covid-19-vaccine-is-the-deadliest-vaccine-ever-made-thats-not-true/ , https://gospelnewsnetwork.org/2021/11/23/covid-shots-are-the-deadliest-vaccines-in-medical-history/ , The Vaccine is deadly, where in the US have Pfizer and Moderna hidden the millions of bodies of those who died of "vaccine injury"? Is reality a Big Pharma Shill?

Millions now living should have died. Anti-Covid-Vaxxer ghouls hardest hit.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2020, 03:25:37 pm »

@TomSea

I am GUESSING it is even possible the drug has a different mixture in Brazil than it does the US?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2020, 03:25:42 pm »
Few or none of current treatment of patient groups would be considered a controlled study by the FDA. The FDA's whole drug and equipment approval process and culture is ill-suited for responding swiftly to a pandemic.
Agreed. Red tape kills in situations such as these.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2020, 03:27:24 pm »

@txradioguy

And that is just for the children's aspirin.

Can you say "Thank you,ambulance chasing law firms!"?

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2020, 04:10:15 pm »
Chloroquine and hydroxychloroquine have been in use since WW2 and probably before (it was discovered/created in 1934). Proper dosing, side effects, and contraindications for certain types of health problems are very well known. For example, a person who already has heartbeat irregularities probably would not be given (hydroxy)chloroquine. So Dr. Zelenko has probably been administering the drug with greater knowledge/understanding of the drug and his patients (some heartbeat irregularities can be found in 2 minutes or fewer by simply counting a person's pulse).
As noted in a post above, Macrolide Antibiotics in general, and Zithromax (Azithromycin) in particular have been implicated in causing or exacerbating Torsades de pointes, a polymorphic ventricular tachycardia characterized by a long QT interval, a rare arrhythmia but ...one that can be fatal.
Other drugs in the macrolide class, as well as non-macrolide medications like fluoroquinolones, also have the potential to prolong the QT interval, the agency said, and those risks should be taken into account when mapping out a patient’s drug regimen.

What is the QT interval? The time, measured on an electrocardiogram, from when the ventricles start to contract to when they are finished relaxing. Prolonging that interval can cause the heart to enter into ventricular fibrillation.

Other things, from endocrine disorders to low potassium levels can produce the same effect, but it is a noted possible side effect of that class of antibiotics.

Further digging indicates that for Torsades de pointes:
Medications as causes
Knowledge that TdP may occur in patients taking certain prescription drugs has been both a major liability and reason for removal of 14 medications from the marketplace.[5] Forty nine drugs known to cause TdP and another 170 that are known to prolong QTc remain on the market because the drugs provide medical benefit and the risk of TdP can be managed and mitigated by instructions in the drug label.[6][7] Examples of compounds linked to clinical observations of TdP include amiodarone, most fluoroquinolones, methadone, lithium, chloroquine, erythromycin, azithromycin, pimozide, and phenothiazines.[8] The anti-emetic agent ondansetron may also increase the risk of developing TdP.[9] It has also been shown as a side effect of certain anti-arrhythmic medications, such as sotalol, procainamide, quinidine, ibutilide, and dofetilide[10] In one example, the gastrokinetic drug cisapride (Propulsid) was withdrawn from the US market in 2000 after it was linked to deaths caused by long QT syndrome-induced torsades de pointes.
(emphasis mine).

Links (and further information):
 Electrocardiography
Torsades de pointes
QT interval

C S Lewis

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2020, 07:54:53 pm »
@txradioguy

And that is just for the children's aspirin.

Can you say "Thank you,ambulance chasing law firms!"?

That's the other commercials that run on the shows I watch.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2020, 08:14:14 pm »
BTW,any of you have the latest scoop on how long an active virus of this type will stay "alive" and able to affect someone just sitting on a table top,door handle,etc,etc,etc?

I was telling my ex today that I had read 48 to 72 hours max,and she was telling me "up to 5 days".

5 days seems excessive to me under normal circumstances.

Offline Absalom

« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2020, 08:15:13 pm »
----------------------------------
Equally important is the reality that an irregular heartbeat(arrhythmia/atrial fibrillation)
is both treatable and rarely fatal; from 2 family doctors.

Offline TomSea

« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2020, 08:22:45 pm »
Also, as the article states, this is chloroquine, not hydroxychloroquine. So some difference, that's up to the experts. Zinc a mitigating factor as well?

Anyway, a test in Brazil? I'm not going to get too rapped up about that, nothing against Brazil.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #24 on: April 13, 2020, 08:38:32 pm »
Also, as the article states, this is chloroquine, not hydroxychloroquine. So some difference, that's up to the experts. Zinc a mitigating factor as well?

Anyway, a test in Brazil? I'm not going to get too rapped up about that, nothing against Brazil.
The hydroxychloroquine (or chloroquine) selectively allows he zinc ions to pass into the cell through the cell membrane. The zinc interferes with the virus' ability to enter and replicate and thus take over (and destroy) the cell. Azithromycin also interferes with the viral replication process, as well as wards off some bacterial infections as well.

The reduced damage to the pneumocytes in the lung and the action of the Azithromycin help prevent a cytokine storm, in which the immune system reacts to the degree that it causes more damage to the lungs and kills the patient.
@Absalom
As for arrhythmia, among known possible side effects of macrolide antibiotics (of which Azithromycin is one) and hydroxychloroquine/chloroquine is the lengthening of the QT interval, the time it takes between the contraction of the muscles in the ventricles and the time when they are completely relaxed. Too great an increase in that interval and the heart goes into ventricular fibrillation, which without prompt clinical intervention, is fatal. 

These side effects do not occur in all patients normally, and the Brazilian study may indicate dosages which were too high, or a group of patients who were already having problems, through genetics, diet, similar endocrine conditions, or some other individual or assemblage of conditions which can make them more likely to have cardiac arrhythmia.

We don't have enough data to pin down what happened there.

C S Lewis