Author Topic: Watchdog: Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks  (Read 481 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Watchdog: Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks
« on: April 08, 2020, 04:17:32 pm »
Watchdog: Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks
MIKE CORDER

THE HAGUE (AP) — The global chemical weapons watchdog issued a report Wednesday blaming the Syrian air force for a series of chemical attacks using sarin and chlorine in late March 2017 on the central town of Latamneh.

The report marks the first time the Investigation and Identification Team, set up in 2018 by the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons, has apportioned blame for an attack in Syria and will likely lead to fresh calls for accountability for the regime of President Bashar Assad.

OPCW Director-General Fernando Arias said it is now up to the organization, “the United Nations Secretary-General, and the international community as a whole to take any further action they deem appropriate and necessary.”

Read more at: https://news.yahoo.com/watchdog-syrian-air-force-responsible-141824079.html

rangerrebew

Syria war: Syrian air force behind 2017 chemical attacks, OPCW finds
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2020, 10:53:16 am »
Syria war: Syrian air force behind 2017 chemical attacks, OPCW finds

8 April 2020

The chemical weapons watchdog has concluded that the Syrian air force carried out three attacks in March 2017 involving the nerve agent Sarin or chlorine.

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) said 106 people were affected by the incidents in the opposition-held village of Latamina

The latest findings were the first to be released by the new Investigation and Identification Team (IIT).

The government has denied ever using chemical weapons.

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-middle-east-52221323

Offline TomSea

Re: Syria war: Syrian air force behind 2017 chemical attacks, OPCW finds
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2020, 11:20:01 am »
Don't worry, OANN can air some program saying Assad did not do it.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Syria war: Syrian air force behind 2017 chemical attacks, OPCW finds
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2020, 04:38:35 pm »
Don't worry, OANN can air some program saying Assad did not do it.
Problem is I just don't have any confidence in anything that comes out of the UN which has been an entirely political organization for far too long and should have met the same fate as it's predecessor the League of Nations. I say let em all kill themselves and let God sort it out.....................only being half sarcastic.

Offline TomSea

Re: Watchdog: Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2020, 04:58:41 pm »
Problem is I just don't have any confidence in anything that comes out of the UN which has been an entirely political organization for far too long and should have met the same fate as it's predecessor the League of Nations. I say let em all kill themselves and let God sort it out.....................only being half sarcastic.

Cool... but the truth is, Trump bombed Syria and Assad two times over Chemical Weapons, so is one saying the administration was wrong to do so? Forget the UN, we made that decision ourselves.  Not the United Nations.

And by the way, if one likes refugees coming to the West and even the USA, let alone Europe, then, a good number of them are fleeing Assad and that war, just the same way, some refugees will bring terror attacks. So, it's not a simple little problem one can tie up with a bow ribbon.

The organisation is not an agency of the United Nations, but cooperates both on policy and practical issues.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_the_Prohibition_of_Chemical_Weapons

Doesn't even look like they are UN.

And our troops have been over there in harm's way as well.

And yes, playing a role in the killing of our troops, both Iran and many would say Syria did as well.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2020, 05:03:28 pm by TomSea »

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
Re: Watchdog: Syrian air force responsible for chemical attacks
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2020, 10:24:44 pm »
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Organisation_for_the_Prohibition_of_Chemical_Weapons

The Organisation for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons (OPCW) is an intergovernmental organisation and the implementing body for the Chemical Weapons Convention, which entered into force on 29 April 1997. The OPCW, with its 193 member states, has its seat in The Hague, Netherlands, and oversees the global endeavour for the permanent and verifiable elimination of chemical weapons.

If it looks like a duck, waalks like a duck and quacks like a duck..................................I'm inclined to call it a duck. YMMV