Author Topic: A pandemic is the wrong time to shut down NYC’s top source of electricity  (Read 552 times)

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
NY Post by Robert Bryce 4/6/2020

The devastation being wrought by the coronavirus has underscored two undeniable facts. First: We were woefully unprepared for a black-swan event like this pandemic. Second: Modern society — our medical system, in particular — is completely dependent on the electric grid.

What if New York’s electric grid were to be hit by another black swan during the pandemic, triggering blackouts across significant parts of the city?

That terrifying thought is relevant now because the city’s single most important source of electricity — the Indian Point Energy Center, which sits about 40 miles due north of Times Square in Westchester County— is being permanently shuttered.

More: https://nypost.com/2020/04/06/a-pandemic-is-the-wrong-time-to-shut-down-nycs-top-source-of-electricity/

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Bookmark

If that happens it would be a real life horror movie, escape from NY, Omega Man, ugh...I’ll cry.

Oh the humanity! We will resort to feral animals I fear.

Like Jack Nicholson in the shining. Or worse
« Last Edit: April 08, 2020, 10:28:34 pm by Gefn »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

So the utility has no choice but to reject new customers since it has no capacity to generate the electricity for them due to the willfully negligent Cuomo disapproving new natural gas pipelines and natural gas drilling in favor of renewables, which cannot possibly be sufficient to generate the required power.

It is time for some sensible news agencies to cover this episode of failure on Cuomo as he continues his march to do the same for the entire country.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
For the past couple of years, a large natural gas fired generation plant (named "Cricket Ridge") has been under construction adjacent to Route 22 south of Dover Plains (NY). I believe I read somewhere that it can take up about 50% or so of the output of Indian Point (once that's closed), but of course that's "only half".

There's another gas-fired plant that I believe is now complete next to interstate 84 in Middletown, but not sure if that was built to supply power to NYC, or instead is intended for the Orange County area.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
So the utility has no choice but to reject new customers since it has no capacity to generate the electricity for them due to the willfully negligent Cuomo disapproving new natural gas pipelines and natural gas drilling in favor of renewables, which cannot possibly be sufficient to generate the required power.

It is time for some sensible news agencies to cover this episode of failure on Cuomo as he continues his march to do the same for the entire country.
THIS!^^

How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis