Author Topic: Kennedy Center Agrees To Pay Orchestra After Lawmakers Move To Rescind Bailout  (Read 1305 times)

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I've never seen it on network TeeBee, and I'm fine if I never do.  Now, please explain to me how it's my responsibility to pay for you to see it on PBS?

@Cyber Liberty

If you love wallowing in ignorance,I'm good with that. Your life,not mine.

BTW,exactly how much did you pay for me to watch it?

Gonna watch the next episode of The American Experience when it comes on next week,too. Are you going to stroke out?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2020, 02:54:32 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty

If you love wallowing in ignorance,I'm good with that. Your life,not mine.

BTW,exactly how much did you pay for me to watch it?

Gonna watch the next episode of The American Experience when it comes on next week,too. Are you going to stroke out?

No, @sneakypete.  Enjoy!
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline goatprairie

@goatprairie

Yes,I know. The Poles actually rode bicycles out to face off with Panzers. Nobody can whine about their courage.
The myth that the Polish cavalry attacked panzers with lances still goes around. William Manchester actually wrote about it as a real thing in his bio of Churchill.
The cavalry never attacked German tanks. They did ride the horses to the battles, dismounted and fought the panzers with anti-tank guns and rifles.
The Germans (mainly Goebbels) were responsible for spreading the myth of Polish horsemen attacking tanks with  lances.
In one early battle the Polish cavalry did attack some  German machine gun positions but were then attacked by German armored cars with machine guns that badly hurt the cavalry.
After the battle German photographers took pictures of dead Polish cavalrymen and German tanks which weren't involved in the battle. The pictures made it look like cavalry had attacked panzers.

Offline dfwgator

@Cyber Liberty

If you mean "cut off the funding",I disagree.

Spending the public money should ALWAYS be monitored to make sure it isn't being spend for purely political purposes,though.

BTW,I am watching a PBS series right now named "World on Fire" on Masterpiece Theater,and enjoying the HELL out of it. NOBODY does historical drama like the Brits,nobody!

Only the first episode has aired at this point,and it is about the invasion of Poland by the Nazi's. Waiting with "baited" breath to see if they mention the USSR invasion of Poland,also. At that time the Nazi's and the Commies were "besties",and they agreed to invade Poland and split it up.

Oddly enough,seems like most of the history books and the movies  seem to forget all about the USSR invasion of Poland,and splitting the nation with their Nazi pals.

If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the Polish movie "Warsaw 44", you'll recognize the girl who plays "Kasia" in World on Fire. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The myth that the Polish cavalry attacked panzers with lances still goes around. William Manchester actually wrote about it as a real thing in his bio of Churchill.
The cavalry never attacked German tanks. They did ride the horses to the battles, dismounted and fought the panzers with anti-tank guns and rifles.
The Germans (mainly Goebbels) were responsible for spreading the myth of Polish horsemen attacking tanks with  lances.
In one early battle the Polish cavalry did attack some  German machine gun positions but were then attacked by German armored cars with machine guns that badly hurt the cavalry.
After the battle German photographers took pictures of dead Polish cavalrymen and German tanks which weren't involved in the battle. The pictures made it look like cavalry had attacked panzers.

@goatprairie

I see what you are saying,but the truth is the Polish Army DID face off against the Panzers and armored cars,mostly armed with bolt-action rifles. They had no armor of their own,and I am not even sure they had artillery.

The thing I find to be the most curious is it seems like no mention of the Soviet invasion of Poland ever seems to be mentioned in the west.

Seems like "Nazi invasion = evil!",and "Commie invasion = good!",doesn't it?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
If you haven't seen it, I highly recommend the Polish movie "Warsaw 44", you'll recognize the girl who plays "Kasia" in World on Fire.

@dfwgator

Thanks for the tip! I am always up for viewing a movie about historical events. Is it even within shouting distance of accurate?

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@dfwgator

Thanks!

BTW,it has been renamed "City 44" now,and I found it free on amazon prime.

Offline dfwgator

@dfwgator

Thanks for the tip! I am always up for viewing a movie about historical events. Is it even within shouting distance of accurate?

The first part of the movie is kind of Hollywood-ish, but the second half of the movie is completely different.  One very graphic scene immediately comes to mind.

Offline goatprairie

@goatprairie

I see what you are saying,but the truth is the Polish Army DID face off against the Panzers and armored cars,mostly armed with bolt-action rifles. They had no armor of their own,and I am not even sure they had artillery.

The thing I find to be the most curious is it seems like no mention of the Soviet invasion of Poland ever seems to be mentioned in the west.

Seems like "Nazi invasion = evil!",and "Commie invasion = good!",doesn't it?
Why is some cable channel called the Hitler channel and not the Stalin channel?
Why are there so many films about Hitler and/or evil Nazis and not evil commies? I remember long ago tv shows ( I Led Three Lives) and movies that reflected the evils of communism. They don't make them anymore.
We both know why....most of today's movie makers and tv producers cannot bring themselves to criticize their early political love.....Marxism.
That's why I was surprised a film like "The Death Of Stalin" was ever made.
But there's not much discussion of it in the entertainment news. More important to jabber about "The Black Panther," "Wakanda," and the need to make more Evil Whitey movies "Get Out", etc.

"They had no armor of their own,and I am not even sure they had artillery."

per Wikipedia "(Polish I Corps).[1] The new formation was to be composed of two infantry divisions, one artillery and one armor brigade, one support and one air regiment, four independent battalions, and support units"

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

"They had no armor of their own,and I am not even sure they had artillery."

per Wikipedia "(Polish I Corps).[1] The new formation was to be composed of two infantry divisions, one artillery and one armor brigade, one support and one air regiment, four independent battalions, and support units"

@goatprairie

Yeah,but was it. Ask anybody that ever served in the military about military plans. They are always "best case" plans. Yeah,the wise planners always have at least 2 "fallback plans" for if/when things go all to hell,but nobody talks about them until it is necessary to trot them out.

"Defeatist thinking",dontchaknow?